Re: Blues 2023-2024 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:59 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:30 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 pm Not surprising. There is no denying that Binnington is masking a lot of Blues issues right now. Lets hope they figure them out as he's at an unsustainable level right now.
Did you check his sustainability tank?
I did actually. It said he can't finish the season with a .960 save % unless he suddenly turns into a better version of Brian Elliott. (.940)
Binnington is better than Jesus.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:53 pm

I did actually. It said he can't finish the season with a .960 save % unless he suddenly turns into a better version of Brian Elliott. (.940)
Which one? The lawn guy or the janitor?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 pm Not surprising. There is no denying that Binnington is masking a lot of Blues issues right now. Lets hope they figure them out as he's at an unsustainable level right now.
If Binnington finishes the season as the starter with a .960+ SV%, he should be nominated for the Vezina, the Hart, and Sainthood.

Moose got Millered, oops I mean screwed.

Re: GDT: St Louis Blues at Vancouver - 9:00 10/27 - TV:BSMW/espn+

Part of me is thinking it's only 7 games into the season. No need to panic, lots of season left. But the other part of me is thinking it's not just 7 games, it's all of last season plus these 7 games. Save for that short burst after the trade deadline where the offense was on fire, this team looks identical to last years. No identity, nothing to really hang your hat on. We aren't a team with enough talent that is going to out skill teams, we aren't going to out defense teams and just shut them down, we aren't going to out muscle teams. I don't have any idea what kind of team we are. Just a middle or the pack or worse team I guess? We are so desperate for the forwards to help make up for the poorly put together blue line that we've sacrificed all offense for it and even that is clearly not working.

Army is not going to take the fall for this, I don't think Chief survives it. Clearly whatever type of roster Army is attempting to build, and I have questions about it, Chief isn't able to coach up that style of play. He was at his best when he had a big physical team, both up front and on the blue line. We have neither currently.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:58 amPart of me is thinking it's only 7 games into the season. No need to panic, lots of season left. But the other part of me is thinking it's not just 7 games, it's all of last season plus these 7 games. Save for that short burst after the trade deadline where the offense was on fire, this team looks identical to last years. No identity, nothing to really hang your hat on. We aren't a team with enough talent that is going to out skill teams, we aren't going to out defense teams and just shut them down, we aren't going to out muscle teams. I don't have any idea what kind of team we are. Just a middle or the pack or worse team I guess? We are so desperate for the forwards to help make up for the poorly put together blue line that we've sacrificed all offense for it and even that is clearly not working.

Army is not going to take the fall for this, I don't think Chief survives it. Clearly whatever type of roster Army is attempting to build, and I have questions about it, Chief isn't able to coach up that style of play. He was at his best when he had a big physical team, both up front and on the blue line. We have neither currently.
Cut 'n' paste this ^^ to the Blues 2023-2024 season thread, and BOOM, you've got something going there!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:58 am Part of me is thinking it's only 7 games into the season. No need to panic, lots of season left. But the other part of me is thinking it's not just 7 games, it's all of last season plus these 7 games. Save for that short burst after the trade deadline where the offense was on fire, this team looks identical to last years. No identity, nothing to really hang your hat on. We aren't a team with enough talent that is going to out skill teams, we aren't going to out defense teams and just shut them down, we aren't going to out muscle teams. I don't have any idea what kind of team we are. Just a middle or the pack or worse team I guess? We are so desperate for the forwards to help make up for the poorly put together blue line that we've sacrificed all offense for it and even that is clearly not working.

During last night's game or in the pre-game on the radio feed they were talking about how Berube was going to go with his "gut" this season on coaching decisions and I immediately had a bad feeling about it.

I really don't think he's the type of coach to guide this team through a rebuild. We need structure and discipline not decisions that will vary from situation to situation based on what kind of food the coach had that night.

It's going to be a rocky next couple of seasons. Buckle up.

Dvorsky and Buchinger faced off last night in the OHL. Dvorsky's team dominated and both picked up an assist. That's 3 points in 3 games for Dvorsky. Not to be outdone on the blue line, Buch has banged in 3 goals and 8 assist in his 11 games. I fully expect Dvorsky's point production to keep going up as he settles in.

Better days ahead(I hope)

Roster construction is problematic. Coaching hasn't had any answers. Goaltending has been very good overall, but even with it they're 6th in the division. At this rate it feels like Berube isn't around next October and there's a significant roster shake-up made possible by the increasing cap next year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:02 pm Roster construction is problematic. Coaching hasn't had any answers. Goaltending has been very good overall, but even with it they're 6th in the division. At this rate it feels like Berube isn't around next October and there's a significant roster shake-up made possible by the increasing cap next year.
I just doubt Berube is out in a year barring a bottom place (below the Shark level) finish. I think old school Army goes against the grain and stays loyal to Chief Ala his attachment to Hitchcock. Whether that's good, fits the modern game or takes into account Berubes ability to adapt, I don't know. I just think that's what happens. I know it's bad when every time I see the starting lineup before a game, I think "damn, who's out injured tonight"? And then I go "oh yeah, no one".

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:08 pm The goaltending has done well to squeeze 7 points out of the play on front of it:

This doesn't even account for special teams, which have been brutal the last 2 years, though the pk did well Friday.

It's early, but ugly.
If we were TB on that list, I'd say it's early. But this seems to be just who the Blues are at this point.

Army has collected quite a few castoffs to round out our forwards in Vrana, Kap, Hayes, and Blais. Probably shouldn't have 25% of your forwards be guys who other teams paid to go away.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:44 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:08 pm The goaltending has done well to squeeze 7 points out of the play on front of it:

This doesn't even account for special teams, which have been brutal the last 2 years, though the pk did well Friday. I know people are holding out hope for Hayes because they think he'll show up in the playoffs but ya gotta make the playoffs first.at the risk of making him a whipping boy,he is an apparition of a hockey center, nonexistent defensively or offensively. I'd sit him for a few games to see if he'll step it up.

It's early, but ugly.
If we were TB on that list, I'd say it's early. But this seems to be just who the Blues are at this point.

Army has collected quite a few castoffs to round out our forwards in Vrana, Kap, Hayes, and Blais. Probably shouldn't have 25% of your forwards be guys who other teams paid to go away.

Let's assume for a moment that the season continues in a similar fashion to how it's started. Defense maybe a bit better than last year but still not good, very little in the way of scoring chances, goaltending good, team on outside of realistic playoff picture. In that scenario, would you consider trading Binnington to a competitive team that either has poor goaltending or suffers an injury? If so, when. There have been a handful of teams that fancy themselves competitors, if not for the Cup, certainly for the playoffs, that have had very shaky goaltending to start the year. I'm thinking LA, Edmonton among others.

If Binnington keeps up his return to form, that's great news for the Blues. I just don't know if at 30 years old his age curve lines up with when this team will realistically be ready to contend again. Meanwhile, I'd think there'd be some GMs out there that would find a goalie in good form with a Cup on his resume rather appealing. Maybe the key to this question is how Hofer performs. I haven't been the biggest Binnington fan on this forum the last year or so, but he's looked great so far this year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:22 am Let's assume for a moment that the season continues in a similar fashion to how it's started. Defense maybe a bit better than last year but still not good, very little in the way of scoring chances, goaltending good, team on outside of realistic playoff picture. In that scenario, would you consider trading Binnington to a competitive team that either has poor goaltending or suffers an injury? If so, when. There have been a handful of teams that fancy themselves competitors, if not for the Cup, certainly for the playoffs, that have had very shaky goaltending to start the year. I'm thinking LA, Edmonton among others.

If Binnington keeps up his return to form, that's great news for the Blues. I just don't know if at 30 years old his age curve lines up with when this team will realistically be ready to contend again. Meanwhile, I'd think there'd be some GMs out there that would find a goalie in good form with a Cup on his resume rather appealing. Maybe the key to this question is how Hofer performs. I haven't been the biggest Binnington fan on this forum the last year or so, but he's looked great so far this year.
It's just unrealistic to put much consideration in. The teams that consider themselves contenders who need a goalie are few, the ones that have the cap space available to take on Binner's contract this season are even fewer. Only one comes to mind and that is Buffalo. Edmonton would have to go dollar for dollar with the Blues on the return.

If that is the route the Blues think is best, the offseason would be the time they'd have to explore it.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:09 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:22 am Let's assume for a moment that the season continues in a similar fashion to how it's started. Defense maybe a bit better than last year but still not good, very little in the way of scoring chances, goaltending good, team on outside of realistic playoff picture. In that scenario, would you consider trading Binnington to a competitive team that either has poor goaltending or suffers an injury? If so, when. There have been a handful of teams that fancy themselves competitors, if not for the Cup, certainly for the playoffs, that have had very shaky goaltending to start the year. I'm thinking LA, Edmonton among others.

It's just unrealistic to put much consideration in. The teams that consider themselves contenders who need a goalie are few, the ones that have the cap space available to take on Binner's contract this season are even fewer. Only one comes to mind and that is Buffalo. Edmonton would have to go dollar for dollar with the Blues on the return.

If that is the route the Blues think is best, the offseason would be the time they'd have to explore it.
If a Cup contending team has a season ending injury to a goalie it would be an option.

I think every player on the roster is available. Or should be.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:25 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:53 pm
Jesus had a weak spot on His glove side, but Thomas refused to probe it.
I'm a bit behind here, but this got a chuckle out of me :lol:

BluesSK wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:24 pm

If a Cup contending team has a season ending injury to a goalie it would be an option.

That is true, but it's not like Binner is in the final year of his deal. That team that already has a top goalie that got hurt would be committing to having both of them going forward.

Agreed with your second part. No one on the active roster is nailed down and not moving, imo. Having players be non-starters in trade talks is how you miss out on Matthew Tkachuk because you won't trade Robert Thomas.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:40 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:24 pm

That is true, but it's not like Binner is in the final year of his deal. That team that already has a top goalie that got hurt would be committing to having both of them going forward.

Agreed with your second part. No one on the active roster is nailed down and not moving, imo. Having players be non-starters in trade talks is how you miss out on Matthew Tkachuk because you won't trade Robert Thomas.
Yes. We need a franchise guy to build a team around. No question about it.