Okay, rules question

Forgive my stupidity in advance, but I honestly don't know the answer to this question, posed to me by a very bright young Blues fan. Here goes, and again, if it is obvious, I apologize for not knowing the answer:

With the touch-up offsides rule, what happens if a player outside the blue line dumps the puck into the zone, on goal, and it goes in before one of his teammates clears the zone. The player in the zone when the puck is dumped in is technically not offsides if he does not touch the puck, right? So what happens if the goalie misplays the puck and it goes in goes in? Common sense says "no goal." But what is the official ruling?

Secondary to that one, what if the goalie covers the puck before the player in the zone tags up? Where is the faceoff? Common sense says outside the zone, but again, the player is technically not offsides if he doesn't touch the puck.

This place is home to the smartest hockey fans I've ever been around, I am sure someone (or everyone) knows the answers, but I honestly don't, and I've been a fan of the game going back a long time. I might be the only on here that actually saw a KC Scouts game, IN PERSON. :shock:

Re: Okay, rules question

The way I interpret the rule, no goal:

Disallowed Goal
– If the puck is shot into
the attacking zone creating
a delayed off-side, the play shall be
allowed to continue under the
normal clearing-the-zone rules. Should the puck, as a result of this
shot, enter the defending team’s goal, either directly or off the
goalkeeper, a player, the boards,
the glass, a piece of equipment or
an official on the ice, the goal shall
be disallowed as the original shot
was off-side. The fact that the at
tacking team may have cleared the
zone prior to the puck entering the go
al has no bearing on this ruling.
The face-off will be conducted at the
face-off spot in the zone closest
to the point of origin of
the shot that gives th
e offending team the least
amount of territorial advantage.
The only way an attacking team ca
n score a goal on a delayed off-
side situation is if the defending
team shoots or pu
ts the puck into
their own net without action or contact by the offending team

Rink Rat wrote:Forgive my stupidity in advance, but I honestly don't know the answer to this question, posed to me by a very bright young Blues fan. Here goes, and again, if it is obvious, I apologize for not knowing the answer:

With the touch-up offsides rule, what happens if a player outside the blue line dumps the puck into the zone, on goal, and it goes in before one of his teammates clears the zone. The player in the zone when the puck is dumped in is technically not offsides if he does not touch the puck, right? So what happens if the goalie misplays the puck and it goes in goes in? Common sense says "no goal." But what is the official ruling?

Secondary to that one, what if the goalie covers the puck before the player in the zone tags up? Where is the faceoff? Common sense says outside the zone, but again, the player is technically not offsides if he doesn't touch the puck.

This place is home to the smartest hockey fans I've ever been around, I am sure someone (or everyone) knows the answers, but I honestly don't, and I've been a fan of the game going back a long time. I might be the only on here that actually saw a KC Scouts game, IN PERSON. :shock:
I once saw a game, on TV, where this happened.

The puck came out.

Hull dumped it back in off the glass.

Funny carom.

In the net.

Shanahan had yet to clear the zone.

No goal.

Rink Rat wrote:Forgive my stupidity in advance, but I honestly don't know the answer to this question, posed to me by a very bright young Blues fan. Here goes, and again, if it is obvious, I apologize for not knowing the answer:

Just wanted to comment on the bold.

Technically he is off sides. It is called delayed off sides. The off sides player doesn't have to touch the puck for the ref or linesman to blow the whistle for off sides. If the off sides player affects the play in any way like make an attempt to distract or make contact with an opposing player the refs will and should blow the whistle for off sides.

Good questions.