Defense next season

How does everyone see our defense shaping up next season? It could be interesting with the need for cap space, Jackman as a UFA, and Bortuzzo impressing so far. I wouldn't be surprised if they move Gunnarsson at this point. I don't see anyway they re-sign Michalek.

Lindbohm-Petro
Bouw-Shatty
Jackman-Bortuzzo
Someone

or

Gunnarsson-Petro
Bouw-Shatty
Lindbohm-Bortuzzo
Jackman?

I feel like that later option would be more expensive and I personally feel Jackman is still fine as a #6 defenseman, which leads me to believe with the current surplus of capable defensemen and the need for cap space up for Tarasenko...well, something has to give.

Re: Defense next season

I have a weird feeling that we're watching the last days of Jackman in a Blues uniform.

Similar to Hitchcock, if they go out early then there will be changes. If they go far then ride off into the sunset.

Second or third round and then the Blues will make a decision based on his playoff performance.

Ladislav Bonita wrote:I have a weird feeling that we're watching the last days of Jackman in a Blues uniform.

Similar to Hitchcock, if they go out early then there will be changes. If they go far then ride off into the sunset.

Second or third round and then the Blues will make a decision based on his playoff performance.
I just don't think he's ready to retire yet and I feel like he'll take any relatively reasonable offer to remain a Blue.

UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Ladislav Bonita wrote:I have a weird feeling that we're watching the last days of Jackman in a Blues uniform.

I just don't think he's ready to retire yet and I feel like he'll take any relatively reasonable offer to remain a Blue.
Jax wants to hoist the Cup as a Blue.

This is when I really miss Capgeek. It's hard to make an assessment without looking at the big-picture salary cap considerations. I agree Michalek is too expensive but I have a feeling they will keep Gunnar. I also think we will be able to retain Jax with a hometown discount of around $2.6M:

JBo Petro
Gunnar Shatty
Jackman/Lindbohm Bortuzzo

Parayko as the next callup?

I tend to agree with you on this,that may be Barrett Jackman last Days here wth the Blues especially with his contract ending after this year and Jacks is getten up in age a little too..Will he be one players, the Blues management lets go, to save money so they can use to sign Tarasenko to his next probably, real Big contract.Then also, you got some good young defenseman that make less money, that look to be in the Blues future like Perri Lindbolm and Big Bertuzzo. But like you said .If Barrett has a real good playoffs and Blues do really well.That usually has a Big impact wheter to keep a Guy you might thinking of keeping or Letting go.Time will tell and I bet Barrett is wondering a little of the same thing, if he will be in the Blues plans next year or if he will be on another team.Time will Tell. :?

oldbattler wrote:

I tend to agree with you on this,that may be Barrett Jackman last Days here wth the Blues especially with his contract ending after this year and Jacks is getten up in age a little too..Will he be one players, the Blues management lets go, to save money so they can use to sign Tarasenko to his next probably, real Big contract.Then also, you got some good young defenseman that make less money, that look to be in the Blues future like Perri Lindbolm and Big Bertuzzo. But like you said .If Barrett has a real good playoffs and Blues do really well.That usually has a Big impact wheter to keep a Guy you might thinking of keeping or Letting go.Time will tell and I bet Barrett is wondering a little of the same thing, if he will be in the Blues plans next year or if he will be on another team.Time will Tell. :?
Do you post from an old Blackberry? 8-)

I could see Gunnarson being traded this offseason and Butler being retained as the 7th d-man. We'd have Edmundson, Parayko, and presumably Schmaltz in the AHL as callup options, but I'm sure we would have another vet option down there as well.

As for Jackman, I think the Blues should retain him for another 2 years. I just don't see how he's not an NHL player next year. If the Blues don't opt to re-sign him, I could definitely see Jackman signing with another team. He could make another $5 million over the next two years, so if I were in his position, I would seriously have to weigh that option vs retiring. He seems like a big family guy, so his decision won't be so much about retiring as a Blue, but rather if he could be away from his family for that long (assuming they stay in STL).
Last edited by Tfriede2 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretty sure Jax will sign a cap friendly contract. I fully well expect Jackman to retire as a Blue in a couple of years.
The truth is, he is still the glue that holds this defensive corps together.
Michalek unfortunately will almost certainly not be resigned.
Assuming no trades or injuries, I see it something like:

Petro - Jaybo
Shatty - Gunner
Jackman - Burtozzo and Lindbohm battle for the #6 and #7 spots.

StL Dan wrote:As it stands right now, I think Bortuzzo has a leg up on Bomber for the 6 spot going into camp next season, if we are all to agree on your scenario, barnburner.
Yeah, I think so too. Altho I can see Hitch using Lindbohm against speedy finesse teams and Bortz when facing bigger physical teams.

barnburner wrote:
StL Dan wrote:As it stands right now, I think Bortuzzo has a leg up on Bomber for the 6 spot going into camp next season, if we are all to agree on your scenario, barnburner.
Yeah, I think so too. Altho I can see Hitch using Lindbohm against speedy finesse teams and Bortz when facing bigger physical teams.
Thats just it though-by this point I feel Bomber has made a better case than Gunnarsson has to play in our 6 (granted Gunnarsson has had injury issues) and Bomber is cheaper. Nothing against Gunnarsson....but I would hate to see Lindbohm and all of his potential sitting.

I'd like to see Barrett retire a Blue. He has earned that rare distinction, and this year especially he's been pretty good as well. I'd not miss Gunn. Bort should stay. Great surprise thus far. And, I'd prefer holding Zybby over Meester at this point as well. That would be a bigger challenge to see happen, though.

I hope Jackman returns and finishes his career with the Blues, cap friendly deal 3yrs/$7.5 mil. With Bortuzzo and Lindbolm playing as well as they have so far this year I can see Gunnarsson being moved in the summer.

Next year, I'd be comfortable with:
Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester
Shattenkirk
Jackman
Bortuzzo
Lindbolm
Butler/New Guy

I think Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester and Shattenkirk will be our top 3, no doubt. After that, I have some mixed feelings.

Lindbohm has looked really good so far, but he still has a lot to learn, especially on special teams. I'd rather see him brought along at a moderate pace than thrown into our top 4 right away. I could see him being a regular on the bottom pairing, but the first guy to jump up into the top 4 as the need arises (and it ALWAYS does!), maybe even sitting a few games out now and then, as well.

Jackman should retire a Blue, but could easily have a couple more good years left in him. He should be a bottom-pairing mainstay, but be given ample time off, as well.

Bortuzzo, also, has been used in situations where his 'particular set of skills' can really help, but against a more finesse-style team, he might not be the best option.

I could almost see Jackman, Lindbohm and Bortuzzo rotating amongst the bottom pairing.

Butler is a decent call-up option, and cheap. If he's got a chance to be a full-time NHLer on another team, more power to him, and I wish him luck (except against the Blues, natch).

That leaves Gunnarson and Michalek. Michalek is an UFA this Summer, so he'd be the easiest to let walk, but I'd actually rather keep him than Gunnarson, given the balance with Petro, Shattenkirk and Boumeester. It's not that I don't like Gunnerson, but I think he just brings more of what we've already got in our top 3, and Michalek adds something that we don't really have in the top 4 otherwise. I could see keeping him around a few more years so as not to rush LIndbohm, who should be ready for a regular top-4 spot with another couple of years of experience. Of course, that all depends on what kind of offers Michalek gets, too.

RAFritchey wrote:I think Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester and Shattenkirk will be our top 3, no doubt. After that, I have some mixed feelings.

Lindbohm has looked really good so far, but he still has a lot to learn, especially on special teams. I'd rather see him brought along at a moderate pace than thrown into our top 4 right away. I could see him being a regular on the bottom pairing, but the first guy to jump up into the top 4 as the need arises (and it ALWAYS does!), maybe even sitting a few games out now and then, as well.

Jackman should retire a Blue, but could easily have a couple more good years left in him. He should be a bottom-pairing mainstay, but be given ample time off, as well.

Bortuzzo, also, has been used in situations where his 'particular set of skills' can really help, but against a more finesse-style team, he might not be the best option.

I could almost see Jackman, Lindbohm and Bortuzzo rotating amongst the bottom pairing.

Butler is a decent call-up option, and cheap. If he's got a chance to be a full-time NHLer on another team, more power to him, and I wish him luck (except against the Blues, natch).

That leaves Gunnarson and Michalek. Michalek is an UFA this Summer, so he'd be the easiest to let walk, but I'd actually rather keep him than Gunnarson, given the balance with Petro, Shattenkirk and Boumeester. It's not that I don't like Gunnerson, but I think he just brings more of what we've already got in our top 3, and Michalek adds something that we don't really have in the top 4 otherwise. I could see keeping him around a few more years so as not to rush LIndbohm, who should be ready for a regular top-4 spot with another couple of years of experience. Of course, that all depends on what kind of offers Michalek gets, too.
Very much agree with Machalek over Gunner, if the money works. I've been very impressed with his ability to read the play, willingness to defend his net, and his ability to move the pick out of our end. I'm just assuming someone is going to give him a better deal than we can offer.

LrdStnly wrote:Gunnarsson will not be here next year. I don't think it was a bad trade to acquire him, but I don't see the value.
I agree 100%.
Also, I actually wouldn't mind a scenario where Michalek is here next year. It would take a lot of cash dumping I'm guessing but I like him. I've always kinda been keen on seeing what Petro and his cap room could fetch.

Turk Sanderson wrote:I think that we'll know a lot more about these guys after the playoffs. The playoffs will separate the pretenders from the real warriors.
In reference to who? Don't we already know about everyone except for Lindbohm and Gunner? Not trying to be a dick, guess I'm just misunderstanding.

blue to the bone wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote:I think that we'll know a lot more about these guys after the playoffs. The playoffs will separate the pretenders from the real warriors.
In reference to who? Don't we already know about everyone except for Lindbohm and Gunner? Not trying to be a dick, guess I'm just misunderstanding.
The deeper we go, the more of a toll it will take on these guys. Some will handle the pressure and physicality, and some won't. Unfortunately we've only seen a small sample size, so far on most of them.