Re: Starting to feel really comfortable with Allen

In complete agreement, and not in a way that demeans what Elliott brings to this team. I have seen huge improvements in his positioning (sealing off the posts), his lateral movements, his size in the crease (staying upright and tall when his stick is flat along the ice), his puck handling, and his challenging. What do you think about the "team seems to play better in front of goalie X" rhetoric?

SickMittsRomKnee wrote:In complete agreement, and not in a way that demeans what Elliott brings to this team. I have seen huge improvements in his positioning (sealing off the posts), his lateral movements, his size in the crease (staying upright and tall when his stick is flat along the ice), his puck handling, and his challenging. What do you think about the "team seems to play better in front of goalie X" rhetoric?
The Blues always seem to play better for the back-up. This goes back to when Elliott was backing up Halak. I don't know if they simply have more confidence in the starter and their urgency to score goes up or if it's all in our heads. But it sure seems like they play better.

MissouriMook wrote:I'm glad we have a guy like Allen to fall back on if Elliott gets "Kypreos-ed" or even "Halak-ed". I'm not sure he's mentally ready to go into a series as the #1, but I trust him to keep the boat afloat. You can't say that about every team - even some playoff bound teams have nothing they can count on behind their #1.
^Exactly. Glad he is there if the team needs him but it will be a disservice to Allen if they are forced into playing him. He is young and has never even sat on the bench for an NHL PO game. He needs to be around that intensity first before he is thrown in to it.

Glad he playing so well. How much do you think Brodeur has been helping out behind the scene?

wizard pork sword wrote:
SickMittsRomKnee wrote:In complete agreement, and not in a way that demeans what Elliott brings to this team. I have seen huge improvements in his positioning (sealing off the posts), his lateral movements, his size in the crease (staying upright and tall when his stick is flat along the ice), his puck handling, and his challenging. What do you think about the "team seems to play better in front of goalie X" rhetoric?
The Blues always seem to play better for the back-up. This goes back to when Elliott was backing up Halak. I don't know if they simply have more confidence in the starter and their urgency to score goes up or if it's all in our heads. But it sure seems like they play better.
That's nearly every team...when they feel less comfortable in the back up, they play harder and more sound defensively.

It's hard to fault Allen right now though. He's not playing like that jittery young man back in December.

Allen is amazing when he has the confidence. He showed this in his first 10 or so starts this season as well. When he is on, it seems like nothing will get by him. Unfortunately, we also know that he is still susceptible to losing that confidence. Elliott has the same issues but seems to be better at turning the page. At least he has more experience. I'll take my chances with either goalie in the playoffs. Like many have said, ride the hot hand.

rudy4u51 wrote:Allen is amazing when he has the confidence. He showed this in his first 10 or so starts this season as well. When he is on, it seems like nothing will get by him. Unfortunately, we also know that he is still susceptible to losing that confidence. Elliott has the same issues but seems to be better at turning the page. At least he has more experience. I'll take my chances with either goalie in the playoffs. Like many have said, ride the hot hand.

Is "losing his confidence" just general speak for having an off night from time to time?

Allen has all the talent. That was never the question. Now that he has some experience, he can relax and let his talent show. People often questioned the mental aspect of his game, but I always give goalies a break on that when they are young. It takes time to think the game at the NHL level especially at the goalie position.

I was really hoping Allen would "wake up" late in the season. Competition makes everyone play that much better.

Playing goalie is a game within the game. I think Allen is maturing mentally with experience, and he should only keep improving at this point in his career.

I agree, guys. It's been a blast watching the Blues' dynamic goalie situation unfold this season. And, it's easy to be a fan of both Ells and Jake. Regardless what happens in the coming weeks and during the SCPOs, we can be assured that there was an air of competitiveness on the team that pushed those to guys to play their best hockey down the stretch. I'm sure having a living legend like Brodeur suit up for a few weeks and remain active within the front office has and will continue to pay dividends, as well.

GO BLUUUUUUES

StL Dan wrote:I agree, guys. It's been a blast watching the Blues' dynamic goalie situation unfold this season. And, it's easy to be a fan of both Ells and Jake. Regardless what happens in the coming weeks and during the SCPOs, we can be assured that there was an air of competitiveness on the team that pushed those to guys to play their best hockey down the stretch. I'm sure having a living legend like Brodeur suit up for a few weeks and remain active within the front office has and will continue to pay dividends, as well.

GO BLUUUUUUES
Marty seems to have helped Jake a lot. IMO

UMSLBlues12 wrote:I haven't seen him be too animated personally...maybe I wasn't paying attention though. He's actually reminded me of Price in how nonchalant his moves can be at times. He's seemed to always look calm recently, which I think has been a plus since we know early in the year he'd get rattled after goals.
Just my opinion from looking in from the outside.

Doug Glatt wrote:
StL Dan wrote:I agree, guys. It's been a blast watching the Blues' dynamic goalie situation unfold this season. And, it's easy to be a fan of both Ells and Jake. Regardless what happens in the coming weeks and during the SCPOs, we can be assured that there was an air of competitiveness on the team that pushed those to guys to play their best hockey down the stretch. I'm sure having a living legend like Brodeur suit up for a few weeks and remain active within the front office has and will continue to pay dividends, as well.

GO BLUUUUUUES
I couldn't agree more Doug. I've noticed that both goalies look a little more 'relaxed' that they were. That goes more so for Allen than Elliott. If last night had happened early in the season I think Allen would have folded like a soft taco. But since Brodeur got here Allen doesn't seem to 'lose it' when he gives up a goal. Then, like last night if he had given up that second one 17 seconds later that would have been it for him for the night. He's shown so solid and encouraging improvements this calender year. Really looking forward to seeing him over the next couple of years.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

wizard pork sword wrote:
rudy4u51 wrote:Allen is amazing when he has the confidence. He showed this in his first 10 or so starts this season as well. When he is on, it seems like nothing will get by him. Unfortunately, we also know that he is still susceptible to losing that confidence. Elliott has the same issues but seems to be better at turning the page. At least he has more experience. I'll take my chances with either goalie in the playoffs. Like many have said, ride the hot hand.

Is "losing his confidence" just general speak for having an off night from time to time?
It goes hand in hand. I think you can tell when either one of our goalies lack confidence.

stlblues1226 wrote:
Doug Glatt wrote:

GO BLUUUUUUES
I couldn't agree more Doug. I've noticed that both goalies look a little more 'relaxed' that they were. That goes more so for Allen than Elliott. If last night had happened early in the season I think Allen would have folded like a soft taco. But since Brodeur got here Allen doesn't seem to 'lose it' when he gives up a goal. Then, like last night if he had given up that second one 17 seconds later that would have been it for him for the night. He's shown so solid and encouraging improvements this calender year. Really looking forward to seeing him over the next couple of years.
That is why I was so pumped when Allen had that huge leg up in the air save....no way he has the confidence to pull that move after giving up two goals early in the season. Then how far he was out challenging the shots in the third...it was a good sign.

I am one of Moose's best defenders. I love a guy who was NEVER thought of as "Good Enough" at every level...and won a Championship....at every level except the NHL. I believe he CAN do it here.

Allen is everything Moose ain't . That includes being incredibly naturally gifted. I hope Moose an Marty rub off on him a lot. He definitely has the physical tools.

I say we go deep. Very deep.

If I am wrong. It WONT BE A GOALIE's fault.