Re: GDT: St Louis Blues @ Pittsburgh - 6:00pm

RAFritchey wrote:
Sneptsmoustache wrote:Man I really like michalek's game. Even before that play in OT...he's just calm and plays a really smart game. He's a top 4 d-man as advertised for sure.
Bortuzzo's certainly seemed like more than just a #6-7 depth defender, too.
Totally agree fellas. These two moves have made Gunnar the 8th dman... and, as much I luv me some Jax for his loyalty... once Shatty is back, Jax has to become #7 unless there's an injury or chemistry prob.

Once we're all healthy... it almost has to be

Petro-Bouw
MZ-Shatty
Lindbohm (Jax if Petteri gets overwhelmed [doubtful, but] in the POs)- Bortuzzo

Our top 4 have 1 O-minded and one D-minded player, and either of those 3 in the 3rd pairing are just mean. Just what you need for the POs.

I mean, we suddenly seem to have a really mean/edgy/"sacrifice the bod" set of Dmen. Dramatically different from the start of the season.

Yeah, we'll give Army a mulligan on the Gunnerson move. Not every scratcher ticket's a winner, right?

MissouriMook wrote:Petro has been in beast mode for a while now, that's for sure. Hopefully he can keep it up and maybe even find a higher offensive gear come mid-April.
He was all over the ice tonight, playing both defence and forward on the same shifts. He does a lot more for The Blues than most casual viewers (and some serious viewers) realise. Luckily, with Michalek getting back his skating legs and Lindbohm becoming more consistent and trustworthy every game, and Bortuzzo playing decently, he doesn't have to play 30 minutes per game, just because Shattenkirk is out.

Robb_K wrote:
MissouriMook wrote:Petro has been in beast mode for a while now, that's for sure. Hopefully he can keep it up and maybe even find a higher offensive gear come mid-April.
He was all over the ice tonight, playing both defence and forward on the same shifts. He does a lot more for The Blues than most casual viewers (and some serious viewers) realise. Luckily, with Michalek getting back his skating legs and Lindbohm becoming more consistent and trustworthy every game, and Bortuzzo playing decently, he doesn't have to play 30 minutes per game, just because Shattenkirk is out.
When Petro is playing like he has for the past month or so he's our best overall player. So happy to see him get his stuff together in time for the playoffs. Though I kinda expected it IMO he's always raised his game in the playoffs for us.

Turk Sanderson wrote:I just got home...missed the game....sounds like the boys worked hard tonight. Did Pair-ohn do anything? Cole?
Perron looked decent, but no results. Still too much of a puck hog really that's not the kind of player Sid needs on his wing.
Cole was typical Cole, played OK but poor turnover led to Blues second goal. Glad to be rid of Cole, or as we call him "Lumpy."

Turk Sanderson wrote:I just got home...missed the game....sounds like the boys worked hard tonight. Did Pair-ohn do anything? Cole?
They both played good, as did Lappy. Perron ran his mouth a lot, made some good plays, Cole was very active w/ the puck and Lappy was noticeable.

If you have a chance to watch the game, do it. I saw we were down 2-1 at one point on my phone before I sat down to watch via Game Center and almost didn't watch as tired tonight, but damn glad I did. Honestly, probably best game of the road trip IMO
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote:
They both played good, as did Lappy. Perron ran his mouth a lot, made some good plays, Cole was very active w/ the puck and Lappy was noticeable.

If you have a chance to watch the game, do it. I saw we were down 2-1 at one point on my phone before I sat down to watch via Game Center and almost didn't watch as tired tonight, but damn glad I did. Honestly, probably best game of the road trip IMO
I'll have to see if my son recorded it....I thought I'd be home to watch it, but my wife changed my plans :(

I haven't been impressed with michalek. He's looked slow and not great positioning. Hope it's just him shaking the rust off. It was a great read on his ot shot though. Speaking of Perron, did you notice the open net he missed on in the second? I thought for sure it was going in. Great win tonight. Glad the ex pen players got on the scoresheet against their former teams.

some thoughts from me...

got VERY nervous halfway through the first when the berglund line was trapped in their own zone for an extended crosby line shift. they pulled it off. as the game went on, i realized that hitch was playing the berglund line against the crosby line on purpose. this is baffling to me, truly. but crosby is still without a goal against us, so i guess that's why he's getting paid lots of money to coach and i'm watching at home.

as i tweeted last night, i REALLY want to know what ott & reaves were saying to perron at the end of the first (and really, for the rest of the game). something about being an emo faggot with white skates?

i've been wondering lately where the steen from last year went. last night made me remember, oh yeah - he's a really smart player and knows when to peak. like i said last year, as steen goes, this team goes. he is capable of putting the entire team on his shoulders. when he's willing to do so, look out.

reaves was full-on last night. thought for sure his dad must've been there.

petro is a magician with his stick.

was great to hear shatty talking about getting into the corners and seeing how his body reacts. he's almost back, at just the right time, fully rested. will take him some games to get back into the groove, but i'm not worried.

fleury is a still goddamn beast when he wants to be. the game easily could have been 6-2.

i love watching sindy pout. he's such a douche.

Kariyadog wrote:I haven't been impressed with michalek. He's looked slow and not great positioning. Hope it's just him shaking the rust off. It was a great read on his ot shot though. Speaking of Perron, did you notice the open net he missed on in the second? I thought for sure it was going in. Great win tonight. Glad the ex pen players got on the scoresheet against their former teams.

So far #6 has done nothing for me....except that nice pass to Steen.

CaptSMRT wrote:
Kariyadog wrote:I haven't been impressed with michalek. He's looked slow and not great positioning. Hope it's just him shaking the rust off. It was a great read on his ot shot though. Speaking of Perron, did you notice the open net he missed on in the second? I thought for sure it was going in. Great win tonight. Glad the ex pen players got on the scoresheet against their former teams.

So far #6 has done nothing for me....except that nice pass to Steen.
I was a big fan of getting Michalek, but I agree, I haven't been very impressed yet. But having seen him play for Phoenix before he got hurt, I feel pretty comfortable saying that we haven't seen anything close to his best yet. If he ramps it up to the next level, and then we get Shatty back, we should feel pretty good going into the playoffs.

T.C. wrote:some thoughts from me...

His knee to knee hit on Jax pissed me (and Jax) off. That's after Jax put a legit open ice hammer down on him earlier that period.

I've always somewhat defended Crosby because he is a heckuva talent. But, last night has pushed me more towards thinking of him being the DB that a lot of people consider him.

T.C. wrote:some thoughts from me...

got VERY nervous halfway through the first when the berglund line was trapped in their own zone for an extended crosby line shift. they pulled it off. as the game went on, i realized that hitch was playing the berglund line against the crosby line on purpose. this is baffling to me, truly. but crosby is still without a goal against us, so i guess that's why he's getting paid lots of money to coach and i'm watching at home.

as i tweeted last night, i REALLY want to know what ott & reaves were saying to perron at the end of the first (and really, for the rest of the game). something about being an emo faggot with white skates?

i've been wondering lately where the steen from last year went. last night made me remember, oh yeah - he's a really smart player and knows when to peak. like i said last year, as steen goes, this team goes. he is capable of putting the entire team on his shoulders. when he's willing to do so, look out.

reaves was full-on last night. thought for sure his dad must've been there.

petro is a magician with his stick.

was great to hear shatty talking about getting into the corners and seeing how his body reacts. he's almost back, at just the right time, fully rested. will take him some games to get back into the groove, but i'm not worried.

fleury is a still goddamn beast when he wants to be. the game easily could have been 6-2.

I was also nervous as Pittsburgh got Crosby out against Stastny's line several times but I felt that Stastny's line did a hell of a job of keeping up with Sid's line when they were out against them. Even Berglund looked OK, but moving Ott up to that line helped big time.