your expectations for the 1st round of the playoffs

I want to see how everyone's expectations are for the 1st round of the playoffs and it does not matter who we play. So here I go:

1. Goaltending - I know before throwing stones at me let me speak first. Elliott is looking good to me as he seems comfortable and more confident in recent games. Allen I am not to sure, but I feel we can lean on elliott this time around.

2. Defense- it is looking a lot stronger with the recent addon's. Hopefully Jackman and Bou get more time off and rest till teh playoffs so i think the defense is looking good.

3. Offense - this is the one that bothers me a lot. I am kind of worried about it a lot since we do have a Tank and Steen whom seems to be scoring, but we need more from Oshie, Bergs, Stastny, and Backes. Power play seems up and down although it can be lethal at times, we just need more consistency from it.

I can see the Blues making it out of the 1st round even if our offense is still struggling as our defense and goaltending will keep us in the game. The 2nd round it will not happen if we do not step up our offense as we need more lines scoring.

What is everyone's feedback and thoughts on this

Re: your expectations for the 1st round of the playoffs

I think we're favored against anyone except Chicago (arguably LA but I don't think they make it). Whether that translates to a win, who knows? Just because we're favored doesn't guarantee a win. Here's how I'd poredict the following matachups:

VS Preds: Blues in 7. Tough series and the Preds elite D and G make it a long one.

VS Jets: Blues in 5 or 6. Physical series, but I think the Blues skill wins out here.

VS Wild: Blues in 7. Another tough matchup, made tougher because the Wild are hot, but I think the Blues would outlast them.

VS Flames: Blues in 6. Good matchup for the Blues, the Flames are small, and I would want this matchup the most as I think we have the best chance of coming out ahead and healthy.

VS Hawks: Hawks in 7. Even without Kane the Hawks will be a tough out, though if we're going to play these guys it might as well be in the 1st round where there is no chance of seeing Kane.

VS Kings: Blues in 7. I think if this unlikely matchup were to occur the Blues would find a way to exorcise these demons.

That's my opinion anyway. As always it's the Blues and anything can happen in the playoffs.

MissouriMook wrote:My expectation is that we don't look at any game in that round after it is over and say, "They just seemed a little flat in Game X" or "The effort just wasn't there at times in the series." Even if they win, the inconsistent efforts and inability to be on the same page with each other must be banished.
For sure. Time to put away cliches and adages about "learning lessons, gettings om the same page, and playing a full 60" once the playoffs start. It's test time boys, got to win with heart and skill.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

I really think there is such a mental hangup with the core team and we need to play Chicago in the first round to exorcise the demons. Honestly, I think if they could get past them (coupled with LA missing the dance), they're heads will be on straight and they'll be very hard to beat.

That said, offense really needs to be there. Others have said the D and Goaltending will keep us in the game, but sustained pressure in the offensive zone and puck control is going to be the real key.

My expectation: Blues exit in the first round regardless of who they play because they can't get over the mental hump. I pray I am wrong. As much as I like the core players, I worry they've ushered in a culture of accepting mediocrity, regardless of what they say in the post game interviews.

My expectation is that this Blues team must be able to take their level of play up a notch, and apply that killer instinct, step-on-the-throat attitude that has been missing from previous versions of the same core group. They need that in order to have some swagger and confidence going into the second round. I already felt that this team's primary core should be shaken up after last year's debacle, if it happens again we're destined for several more years of futility without a major shakeup.

MissouriMook wrote:My expectation is that we don't look at any game in that round after it is over and say, "They just seemed a little flat in Game X" or "The effort just wasn't there at times in the series." Even if they win, the inconsistent efforts and inability to be on the same page with each other must be banished.
^ My HOPE is that is the case. My very real FEAR is that we will be doing just that and the majority of the criticism / questions will be about the SOB line. I have confidence that the STL line will adapt and overcome if they aren't scoring. I can't say the same for the SOB line.

Well said. Each of the last three playoffs series we lost the only consistency we had was our inconsistency.