Blues 2024 Offseason Thread:

We have officially reached the off-season so kick starting a thread.

Curious what, if anything the Blues do with their goalies. They have one of the best duos in the league and both would have a lot of value on the open market.

There was the Binnington rumblings but if the Blues decide to commit to him, should they explore what the market for Hofer is? Colton Ellis and Vadim Zherenko are both on the way.

Lets get crazy, Kyrou and Hofer for Brady Tkachuk...who is saying no?

Or you try to flip him for someone to properly pair with Parayko. Is that a better asset to have then a young, cheap, very good goalie?

Big offseason ahead, I wish I had 100% confidence in the person making the decisions.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: Blues 2024 Offseason Thread:

I'm happy with the situation we have in goal. All it takes is one injury to throw a wrench into the works, so having that depth is undoubtedly going to be beneficial at some point.

We were so lucky not to be bitten by injuries this season. 7 guys playing the full 82 and not even a nick on our goaltenders just doesn't happen every season.

I think our goalie duo will be fine for a few years, especially if we can extend Hofer beyond next season and he's OK being a 1B for a while. Even doubling his current salary or more, that'd lock up a VERY good goalie tandem for less than 10% of the salary cap.

I think Armstrong's priorities this off-season are likely:

1) Head coach – Keep Bannister? Bring Quenneville back into the league? Go for another experienced veteran? Take a gamble on a younger up-and-coming NCAA or AHL head coach? Poach an assistant from another team?

2) UFAs – I don't think we'll pursue any big names to bring in. Vrana, Scandella, and Kapanen will almost certainly walk. Blais MIGHT be re-signed for a year or two at about what he's making now ($1 mil) as a suitable 4th-liner/injury call up. He knows the franchise, the players, and the systems, and he didn't really make enough of an impression this past season for another team to throw a bigger contract at him in the off-season.

3) Buchnevich – Extend if possible this Summer (my preference; ideally without an NTC!). Hold your breath if negotiations go into the season and prepare to make a tough choice at next year's trade deadline.

4) Defense – Krug especially but also Faulk are barely 2nd-pairing level guys on a good team currently. Can anything be done with them yet? Their NTCs drop down to “list 15 teams” NEXT Summer (along with Saad, Schenn, and Leddy), and I'm certain one or both will be dealt then, if not before, but I'd sure love to shed one of them, preferably Krug, via some kind of trade before then. Can we find something that either would waive an NTC for? Could we perhaps persuade either or both of them to convert to Mormonism and move to SLC? Kessel, Parayko, and Leddy are all fine, and Perunovich will probably be given another chance. Otherwise, we might not be able to do much here this Summer.

5) Forwards – We may actually be looking for a good 2nd line center on a short, 2-3 year contract (so he won't block our younger prospects as they come up over that time) to round out our top-6, along with Buchnevich, Roberts, Kyrou, Neighbors, and Bolduc (probably). That'd make our 3rd line Saad, Schenn, and Toropchenko, with any of them able to fit in with the top-6 if need be. Finally, our 4th line “pool” and injury call ups would be Hayes, Sundqvist (who'll start the season on the IR), Walker, Alexandrov, Dean (if he doesn't also earn a spot in the top-9 early on), possibly Blais (if we keep him). This is probably lower priority, but Armstrong may be on the lookout for something like this.

6) Hofer – As I mentioned above, he could be a very solid backup/1B goalie even at twice what he's making now or more, and give us a solid goalie tandem beyond just next season. Will he be looking to be a starter somewhere in 2025? Will he take an extension here? Not a high priority yet, but looking ahead.

7) Draft – We'll have a middling overall pick, but we do have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds this year. How do the top 80 or so guys look? Can we package them to move up or as part of a deal?

I'm open to moving a lot of roster players or prospects if it results in improving the blue line. This season it wasn't an absolute disaster like it was the year before, but it needs significant improvement if the team wants to go anywhere. Very good goaltending covered up a lot of warts for this team.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 pm
Good Ol' Lou could've stopped at: "Doug Armstrong said he has a pulse ..." and satisfied far more Blues fans.
He said he wanted to interview some candidates that were still in the playoffs. Wonder which assistant coaches he has on the list. I am certain Craig MacTavish is not among them, so crisis averted.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!