Re: Blues 2024 Offseason Thread:

Dave's a mess wrote:
BillP. wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:13 pm Wonder if Army would consider Chandler Stephenson as a free agent if the price was right? Blues could use a Center and he's put up some nice numbers the last 4 seasons.
The price is never right for UFA centers age 30 and up.
Don't look like there's much out there on the FA market that DA would target.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:34 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:13 pm Wonder if Army would consider Chandler Stephenson as a free agent if the price was right? Blues could use a Center and he's put up some nice numbers the last 4 seasons.
The price is never right for UFA centers age 30 and up.
True, but I'm less worried about the price than about the term.

I could see them looking for a second-line type forward on a 2-3 year term while they figure out how the new guys pan out.

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:15 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:27 pm The only Free Agent Army will target is David Perron
Wpuld he come back, again though?

I thought he was pretty hurt when we didn't re-sign him
What player has ever been on a team four separate times?

I think it would be really cool for him to finish off his career here.
I'd love it, but whose roster spot is he taking?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:36 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:13 pm

Wpuld he come back, again though?

I thought he was pretty hurt when we didn't re-sign him

I think Perron might make a fine 2nd -line winger who could also play on the 3rd line without really 'taking' anyone's spot. I think he'd be an upgrade over Kapanen (Who's almost certainly leaving as an UFA) and Hayes (Who I really don't want to see above the 4th line), and insurance in case Neighbors takes a step back, and Bolduc/Dean aren't ready to step up just yet.

I especially like the fact that he'd probably be OK with a 2-3 year deal, so he'll be retiring as our younger kids (Bolduc, Dean, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, etc) are ready to step in.

The way I see it, you DEFINITELY want your top-6 to include:

Thomas
Kyrou
Buchnevich
Neighbors

We're HOPING for:

Bolduc (Unproven, but looking good so far)
Dean (Looks 'OK,' but hasn't shown anything major yet)

Mix in the 'mean old men':

Perron
Schenn
Saad

you could craft a really good top-9 out of that (With some spot duty from others like Hayes or Toropchenko), a mix of youth and experience, scoring and some grit.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:16 pm

I think Perron might make a fine 2nd -line winger who could also play on the 3rd line without really 'taking' anyone's spot. I think he'd be an upgrade over Kapanen (Who's almost certainly leaving as an UFA) and Hayes (Who I really don't want to see above the 4th line), and insurance in case Neighbors takes a step back, and Bolduc/Dean aren't ready to step up just yet.

I especially like the fact that he'd probably be OK with a 2-3 year deal, so he'll be retiring as our younger kids (Bolduc, Dean, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, etc) are ready to step in.

Thomas
Kyrou
Buchnevich
Neighbors

We're HOPING for:

Perron
Schenn
Saad

you could craft a really good top-9 out of that (With some spot duty from others like Hayes or Toropchenko), a mix of youth and experience, scoring and some grit.
I think Dean would be more a bottom six center. I'm pencilling in Dvorsky instead of him.

Thomas
Kyrou
Buchnevich
Neighbors

We're HOPING for:

Perron
Schenn
Saad

I like your post. I just wonder if there’s some hard feelings after the 3rd departure. Perron was disappointed how Doug turned his back on him that off season. I’m also curious if Tarasenko would be an option. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in this lineup again and the cost would probably be a fit.

BillP wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:55 am

Thomas
Kyrou
Buchnevich
Neighbors

We're HOPING for:

Perron
Schenn
Saad

I like your post. I just wonder if there’s some hard feelings after the 3rd departure. Perron was disappointed how Doug turned his back on him that off season. I’m also curious if Tarasenko would be an option. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in this lineup again and the cost would probably be a fit.
Perron was indeed hurt and angry about how it all went down last negotiation. I'm sure he'd get over it if the right offer came from STL, but I don't see that happening. There's not a great fit between team need and Perron's aging curve. No matter how much he likes the area, he won't be taking what will likely be a below market offer to play for a team that isn't going to compete during the life of what will be a short term deal.

Assuming Kessel is part of the roster and they re-sign Perunovich, they'll have around $13M in cap space before you fill out another 3 forward spots. This also assumes Kapanen, Blais and Vrana are not signed, and that Alexandrov is in a competition rather than handed one of the last roster spots. From the sounds of things, I think Armstrong will give a couple of the kids a crack at the opening day roster, but I'm sure there'll be some form of veteran forwards acquired over the offseason. I just don't think those veteran acquisitions will be top 6 types.

There's always a chance Armstrong makes a trade that changes the complexion of the roster, particularly this year as there's a little more wiggle room in the cap than their has been in the past. I just don't think those trades will be made in the spirit of competing next season, moreso for a couple years down the line.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 am

Thomas
Kyrou
Buchnevich
Neighbors

We're HOPING for:

Perron
Schenn
Saad

Perron was indeed hurt and angry about how it all went down last negotiation. I'm sure he'd get over it if the right offer came from STL, but I don't see that happening. There's not a great fit between team need and Perron's aging curve. No matter how much he likes the area, he won't be taking what will likely be a below market offer to play for a team that isn't going to compete during the life of what will be a short term deal.

Assuming Kessel is part of the roster and they re-sign Perunovich, they'll have around $13M in cap space before you fill out another 3 forward spots. This also assumes Kapanen, Blais and Vrana are not signed, and that Alexandrov is in a competition rather than handed one of the last roster spots. From the sounds of things, I think Armstrong will give a couple of the kids a crack at the opening day roster, but I'm sure there'll be some form of veteran forwards acquired over the offseason. I just don't think those veteran acquisitions will be top 6 types.

There's always a chance Armstrong makes a trade that changes the complexion of the roster, particularly this year as there's a little more wiggle room in the cap than their has been in the past. I just don't think those trades will be made in the spirit of competing next season, moreso for a couple years down the line.
I'm ok with this.

Thomas
Kyrou
Buchnevich
Neighbors

We're HOPING for:

Perron
Schenn
Saad

What do think about Matt Duchesne? He’s still good and he’ll be a FA. He’ll be 34 next year but like I said he’s still good and might not cost much.

Blues missing playoffs 2 years in a row. Got to wonder if Army has his mind made up to not make it 3.

BillP wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:42 am

What do think about Matt Duchesne? He’s still good and he’ll be a FA. He’ll be 34 next year but like I said he’s still good and might not cost much.

Blues missing playoffs 2 years in a row. Got to wonder if Army has his mind made up to not make it 3.
I don't think he's going to be as cheap as you think. He got bought out in Nashville, which allowed him to sign a one year prove it deal in Dallas. While he didn't play huge minutes, he pretty well "proved it" with 65 points in a slightly limited role compared to his career norm. If he doesn't re-sign in Dallas, he'll be after a Cup contender or the best contract...neither of which the Blues can really offer right now.

From some of the above posts:

I think we'll be looking for a 2nd - 3rd line, veteran forward who'll accept a 2-3 year contract, someone who can fill out our top-6 until the prospects show what they've got and/or we know whether Buchnevich is going to stay, and won't mind a reduced role or trade in the last couple of years. I don't know if that guy is out there or not, but I think that's what Armstrong will be looking for.

I'd LOVE to see Duchene on the Blues for a reasonably priced 2-3 year deal as a speedy, versatile, middle-6 player, but he was Dallas' #3 scorer this past season, and he'll either A) stay with Dallas, B) go to a contender (if not Dallas), and/or C) cash in on the most lucrative contract offered. All of those preclude the Blues.

Peron might also be a good fit, but I don't know how much of a 'bad-taste' he still has from how he parted with the Blues the last time.

I think it's a certainty that Scandella, Vrana, and Kapanen are gone. Blais MIGHT be re-signed at around $1 mil, on a two-way contract (if possible), as a 4th-line/call-up type of guy, especially with Sundqvist starting the season on the IR. He knows the system, he CAN play the role well, and is only turning 28 in June. That still leaves us with plenty for a 2nd-line forward and potentially improving our defense as best we can.

Talk in other places about trading Binnington because “his value is high” is just silly. He's 29, which is hardly old for a goalie, makes $6 mil AAV, which is right in line for a top-10 starter in the league (and will probably be considered a 'bargain' in another year or two) , a proven Stanley cup winner, and IMHO will be part of an EXCELLENT tandem with Hofer for another 3 seasons at least.

RAFritchey wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:02 pm From some of the above posts:

I think we'll be looking for a 2nd - 3rd line, veteran forward who'll accept a 2-3 year contract, someone who can fill out our top-6 until the prospects show what they've got and/or we know whether Buchnevich is going to stay, and won't mind a reduced role or trade in the last couple of years. I don't know if that guy is out there or not, but I think that's what Armstrong will be looking for.

I'd LOVE to see Duchene on the Blues for a reasonably priced 2-3 year deal as a speedy, versatile, middle-6 player, but he was Dallas' #3 scorer this past season, and he'll either A) stay with Dallas, B) go to a contender (if not Dallas), and/or C) cash in on the most lucrative contract offered. All of those preclude the Blues.

Peron might also be a good fit, but I don't know how much of a 'bad-taste' he still has from how he parted with the Blues the last time.

I think it's a certainty that Scandella, Vrana, and Kapanen are gone. Blais MIGHT be re-signed at around $1 mil, on a two-way contract (if possible), as a 4th-line/call-up type of guy, especially with Sundqvist starting the season on the IR. He knows the system, he CAN play the role well, and is only turning 28 in June. That still leaves us with plenty for a 2nd-line forward and potentially improving our defense as best we can.

Talk in other places about trading Binnington because “his value is high” is just silly. He's 29, which is hardly old for a goalie, makes $6 mil AAV, which is right in line for a top-10 starter in the league (and will probably be considered a 'bargain' in another year or two) , a proven Stanley cup winner, and IMHO will be part of an EXCELLENT tandem with Hofer for another 3 seasons at least.
You know on NHL network a week or so ago, they were talking about the Finalist for the Vezina. I think Brobosky was part of the final 3, and someone was talking, I think it was the former Bruin player talking. Is it Dave Reid? Anyway, he said he didn’t think Bobrosky belonged there and he thought someone like Binnington who had the 3rd best save pct in league on high danger chances. No, you don’t dare trade a Cup winning goalie if you have aspirations of being a contender again.

The Blues have a chance to become THE sports identity of St Louis. The Cardinals are truly awful and seem like one of the worst run franchises in their sport right now and have turned off so many fans. Their owners are incredibly unlikable while the Blues owner is seemingly the exact opposite. Invest in the product and is a likable guy. If the Blues can get this turned around quickly, everyone's sports dollars will go to them. They would have no competition in town cause right now the best sports franchise in town is a minor league Football team.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:44 am The Blues have a chance to become THE sports identity of St Louis. The Cardinals are truly awful and seem like one of the worst run franchises in their sport right now and have turned off so many fans. Their owners are incredibly unlikable while the Blues owner is seemingly the exact opposite. Invest in the product and is a likable guy. If the Blues can get this turned around quickly, everyone's sports dollars will go to them. They would have no competition in town cause right now the best sports franchise in town is a minor league Football team.
Stillman has many admirable owner qualities. He invests in the team, he cares that they compete, but he lets the front office do their jobs. Rare combination. Hopefully he can hold onto the team during this competitive downturn as franchise values skyrocket. If they keep missing the playoffs it might be pretty tempting to cash out given that the Senators just sold for $900 million.

Trade idea:

YouTuber Graviteh did a video about 'The Rise and Fall of Jesperi Kotkaniemi,' mentioning that Carolina would probably like to unload him if possible. That got me to thinking, and I posted this idea there. What do you guys think?

STL could convince Torey Krug to waive his NTC and deal him to Carolina for Kotkaniemi straight up.
(Or it could be Justin Faulk, but the Blues would much prefer to deal Krug. The numbers work out the same, but I'd expect the Blues to want a little more back if it's Faulk.)

-JK gets a fresh start with less immediate pressure. (Blues are looking at another year or two retool)
-Krug goes to a current cup-level competitor. (Carolina's cup window is now)
-Carolina gets a very good offensive D-man and PP QB who's not bad in his own zone
-St. Louis gets a younger mid-line center to grow with the youth movement under way and clears out one of the NTCs currently creating a logjam on the blueline

Balancing considerations:
-Krug currently makes $1.68 mil more than JK
-JK is signed for 6 more years, Krug for only 3
-Krug's NTC becomes a '15-team list' NEXT Summer
-JK's contract is unencumbered

RAFritchey wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:10 pm Trade idea:

YouTuber Graviteh did a video about 'The Rise and Fall of Jesperi Kotkaniemi,' mentioning that Carolina would probably like to unload him if possible. That got me to thinking, and I posted this idea there. What do you guys think?

STL could convince Torey Krug to waive his NTC and deal him to Carolina for Kotkaniemi straight up.
(Or it could be Justin Faulk, but the Blues would much prefer to deal Krug. The numbers work out the same, but I'd expect the Blues to want a little more back if it's Faulk.)

-JK gets a fresh start with less immediate pressure. (Blues are looking at another year or two retool)
-Krug goes to a current cup-level competitor. (Carolina's cup window is now)
-Carolina gets a very good offensive D-man and PP QB who's not bad in his own zone
-St. Louis gets a younger mid-line center to grow with the youth movement under way and clears out one of the NTCs currently creating a logjam on the blueline

Balancing considerations:
-Krug currently makes $1.68 mil more than JK
-JK is signed for 6 more years, Krug for only 3
-Krug's NTC becomes a '15-team list' NEXT Summer
-JK's contract is unencumbered
I can't see a world where Carolina takes an increased cap hit in a deal of Kotkaniemi, let alone for our problem contract. It wouldn't be implausible if the Canes weren't so deep in hell they're about to have to move a piece this offseason already out of necessity (rumor being Necas).