Too early for Power Rankings?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... -the-draft

23. St. Louis Blues (Previous Ranking: 23rd)

At least two of the Blues' three first-round draft picks seem to have high-end NHL potential. Meanwhile, snatching Kevin Hayes from Philadelphia for a sixth-round selection in 2024 seems a positive if he produces.

Sorry, I'm bored and this place got quiet so figured I'd kick the tires on something ridiculous
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Re: Too early for Power Rankings?

I see the Blues anywhere from 7th-10th in the West. If their offense is good enough to mask the major issues on defense than this can be a playoff team. However, a lot of that depends on guys who have rarely if ever been consistent in their careers, being consistent. i.e Vrana, Kap. Sunny being healthy, Blais being who he was with the Blues and not Rangers. What version of Binner shows up. A lot of question marks without a lot of wiggle room.
Just a Russian propaganda account

when I googled "NHL power rankings" the link I provided said "14 hours ago" then after opening it, it was from just after the draft... (google fail? link host fail?)
But my blues colored glasses think we should be top 20...so just outside of it... eh.

I WANT MORE HOCKEY
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

The thing this power ranking kind of drives home for me is that the Central Division appears to be the least interesting this season. Much can change once the season starts, but you've got 3 strong teams, two rebuilders, and a handful of teams that could finish in any order in the middle, but none seemingly good enough to be dangerous.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:46 am The thing this power ranking kind of drives home for me is that the Central Division appears to be the least interesting this season. Much can change once the season starts, but you've got 3 strong teams, two rebuilders, and a handful of teams that could finish in any order in the middle, but none seemingly good enough to be dangerous.
There's 5 teams in the West that are clearly better than the rest, imo. Avs, Vegas, Oilers, Dallas, Kings.

Then you have a group of Calgary, Wild, Seattle, WPG, Van, Blues, Preds vying for 3 playoff spots. It's going to be tough for the Blues to be one of those. They need A LOT to go right.

I'm counting Arizona, Chicago, SJ, and Anaheim as out already.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:58 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:46 am The thing this power ranking kind of drives home for me is that the Central Division appears to be the least interesting this season. Much can change once the season starts, but you've got 3 strong teams, two rebuilders, and a handful of teams that could finish in any order in the middle, but none seemingly good enough to be dangerous.
There's 5 teams in the West that are clearly better than the rest, imo. Avs, Vegas, Oilers, Dallas, Kings.

Then you have a group of Calgary, Wild, Seattle, WPG, Van, Blues, Preds vying for 3 playoff spots. It's going to be tough for the Blues to be one of those. They need A LOT to go right.

I still put the Wild in that first group. They're not quite on the par with Vegas or Colorado, but I think they're a couple steps clear of the muddy middle. LA had a great year last year and added Dubois, but if one team slips out of that top group I think it's them. Still waiting on the young kids to really make an impact, and right now their starting goalie is Blues legend Phoenix Copley. Yikes.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:11 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:58 am

I still put the Wild in that first group. They're not quite on the par with Vegas or Colorado, but I think they're a couple steps clear of the muddy middle. LA had a great year last year and added Dubois, but if one team slips out of that top group I think it's them. Still waiting on the young kids to really make an impact, and right now their starting goalie is Blues legend Phoenix Copley. Yikes.
Who knows what happens with goalies year to year and it's certainly a question mark for them but he was a massive success for them last year and has a hell of the team in front of them. Talbot isn't a terrible option for them if he falters. Them not being a playoff team next year would be a major shocker, imo.

But either way, swap the Wild for the Kings then...the numbers remain the same as does the Blues path to the playoffs.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:11 am I do like the high praise (two of) our 1st rounders got from this article though. Makes me feel more comfortable about the future.
You don't see it happen often but I'd love to see Army do a prospect for prospect trade. Bolduc for a top D-man prospect. The Blues are so forward heavy on prospects, there's gotta be a team that is the reverse of that.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:06 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:11 am I do like the high praise (two of) our 1st rounders got from this article though. Makes me feel more comfortable about the future.
You don't see it happen often but I'd love to see Army do a prospect for prospect trade. Bolduc for a top D-man prospect. The Blues are so forward heavy on prospects, there's gotta be a team that is the reverse of that.
I wouldn't complain at all if he'd do that.

https://www.bleachernation.com/blackhaw ... -rankings/
Who'd ya like? (reasonably for a Bolduc trade)

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:47 pm
I'm not sure who makes those charts but how come nearly every player thats listed in the top 10 of defensemen show less than 10% chance of becoming an NHLer? Willander a 3% chance of playing in the NHL? Simashev 6%? Insane. I think they might want to look into their model and realize it's broken.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:28 am

I'm not sure who makes those charts but how come nearly every player thats listed in the top 10 of defensemen show less than 10% chance of becoming an NHLer? Willander a 3% chance of playing in the NHL? Simashev 6%? Insane. I think they might want to look into their model and realize it's broken.
I saw that, and my guess is, they mean this year and not completely. Otherwise, why would ANY of them have been drafted higher than the 6th/7th round?

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:28 am

I saw that, and my guess is, they mean this year and not completely. Otherwise, why would ANY of them have been drafted higher than the 6th/7th round?
That would be the only reasonable explanation I'd accept.