Re: 2023 Free Agent Frenzy

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:21 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:12 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:54 pm Another one year deal for maybe the biggest free agent forward. 5.5 million

Great deal for Leafs, and if he has a big year, a great deal for Bertuzzi.
Yeah and double sting for the Bruins to lose him and have it be to Toronto
I wonder what's the asking price for Nylander these days?

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:58 am Anaheim signed Killorn for 6.25x4. I legitimately thought it was a total of $6.25M at first, not per year. That is an insane contract. It legit makes 0 sense.

The other deal I wanted to mention was Sorokin at 8.25*8 with the Islanders. I saw it get ripped a bit on here, but I can't imagine why. Yes, committing to a goalie for that long is risky, but he's played 2 full seasons and it's pretty hard to argue that there's been a goalie better than him over the course of those two years combined. After the cap goes up next year it's not going to be that scary of a cap hit. He might wear down by the end of the deal, but who knows. The cap will be over $100M by then, so it won't be a big deal anyway. As long as he doesn't suffer a really nasty injury over the next couple years I think it'll be a great deal for the Islanders.
Thought Killorn was a good catch but I didn’t think he’d fetch that much. I mean it’s not like this was the Backes FA year where everyone was handing out big contracts so go figure why Anaheim thought it had to ante up.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:48 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:25 pm Interesting. TB retains 20% of his salary too. The Wild are paying him what the Blues are paying Mac.
Mac has intangibles
Thank God. The Blues have never been able to replace Steen’s intangibles
But he's back in an indirect way. I'm curious to know if he had any influence in this draft since the Blues went heavy on the Euro this time.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:56 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:48 pm

Mac has intangibles
Thank God. The Blues have never been able to replace Steen’s intangibles
But he's back in an indirect way. I'm curious to know if he had any influence in this draft since the Blues went heavy on the Euro this time.
Hard to think it didn't. I mean Dvorsky was clearly the BPA and if he was gone doubt they take a Swede at 10 , but who knows. The other two, Doug decided to put Steen to work right away. They are in good hands. Especially because I think Stenberg's game translates very closely to Steen's.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:33 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Why does it feel like the Leafs have unlimited salary cap?
I just read the Leafs are currently 8M over the cap. Your hunch was right :shock:
:lol: They have three guys making over 11 million dollars and still are able to sign guys at will it seems. Blues highest paid player is 8 million and we are looking under couch cushions to try and find a bit of loose cap room.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:51 am Odd signing if you ask me. Guess he literally had no other offers.

He played for Torts for a long time in New York, so I'm guessing that's part of it. I assume they want him for locker roomy type reasons, plus the fact that they're not trying to be good. He will definitely help them not be good.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

At this point the top UFA remaining on the board is Tarasenko. There was some talk about him going to Ottawa as they find a trade for DeBrincat. When all of the Tarasenko trade chatter started a couple years ago I never would've thought that he'd willingly sign with Ottawa after the contract finally played out.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:35 am
BillP. wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:33 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Why does it feel like the Leafs have unlimited salary cap?
I just read the Leafs are currently 8M over the cap. Your hunch was right :shock:
:lol: They have three guys making over 11 million dollars and still are able to sign guys at will it seems. Blues highest paid player is 8 million and we are looking under couch cushions to try and find a bit of loose cap room.
That’s why I’m wondering about Nylander.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am At this point the top UFA remaining on the board is Tarasenko. There was some talk about him going to Ottawa as they find a trade for DeBrincat. When all of the Tarasenko trade chatter started a couple years ago I never would've thought that he'd willingly sign with Ottawa after the contract finally played out.
Do we get Runblad back?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:35 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am At this point the top UFA remaining on the board is Tarasenko. There was some talk about him going to Ottawa as they find a trade for DeBrincat. When all of the Tarasenko trade chatter started a couple years ago I never would've thought that he'd willingly sign with Ottawa after the contract finally played out.
Do we get Runblad back?
That's the big move on the blueline we've been waiting for!

We talked about how the 2018 draft was terrible, but I remember Red Wings fans being piiiiiiissed about this pick. The big miss was Quinn Hughes, who played his college hockey half an hour away from Detroit in his draft year, was sitting right there and went 1 pick later to Vancouver.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:08 am

We talked about how the 2018 draft was terrible, but I remember Red Wings fans being piiiiiiissed about this pick. The big miss was Quinn Hughes, who played his college hockey half an hour away from Detroit in his draft year, was sitting right there and went 1 pick later to Vancouver.
In general, I don't love taking guys who play in the Q. I'm not really sure when this bias of mine started, but this just reenforces it. But its why I have concern's for Bolduc developing.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:11 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:08 am

In general, I don't love taking guys who play in the Q. I'm not really sure when this bias of mine started, but this just reenforces it. But its why I have concern's for Bolduc developing.
Just take a look at this years draft. Your bias really isn't. It's just facts.