Re: 2023 Free Agent Frenzy

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:22 pm Blues moves:

MacKenzie Mac Mac MacEachern returns to the Blues on a two year deal. He spent all of last year on Carolina's AHL team and has played just 14 NHL games the last two years so a bit odd to not only give him a 1 way deal, but to do it for two years. Army is starting to confuse me a bit.

Also signed G Malcolm Subban to a 1 year two-way contract
Shades of the old Armstrong where he really pisses you off. Why waste doe for this shit? Who the fuck wants Mac back? Move on.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:17 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:57 pm All the Blues signings besides Mac Mac are 2 way. Don't worry about them. Org depth, not part of the opening night lineup. Subban is just there in case Hofer/Binner get hurt.
I’m not worried about the Subban deal. It’s the Mac one that confuses me. Why two years? who are you bidding against?? He doesn’t even have an obvious spot on the roster unless they aren’t planning to bring Torpedo back which might cause me to riot.
Torp isn’t signed yet? WTF

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:08 pm Gents...

We're creeping dangerously closer to the Fire Army wagon...

Not MY sentiment atm, but ijs
No, his methodology won out and brought us a Cup. And this team we got now isn’t bad and it’s loaded with prospects. I’ve always said it, he is consistent in how he operates. Bringing back a former player is his thing. BUT FUCK!!!!! :lol:

BillP wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:22 pm

No, his methodology won out and brought us a Cup. And this team we got now isn’t bad and it’s loaded with prospects. I’ve always said it, he is consistent in how he operates. Bringing back a former player is his thing. BUT FUCK!!!!! :lol:
This team we have now is bad though. At least in my opinion. We have a cap team that is just not good and I don't expect them to be very competitive next year. Almost every decision he's made since the Cup has been wrong.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:57 pm All the Blues signings besides Mac Mac are 2 way. Don't worry about them. Org depth, not part of the opening night lineup. Subban is just there in case Hofer/Binner get hurt.
I’m not worried about the Subban deal. It’s the Mac one that confuses me. Why two years? who are you bidding against?? He doesn’t even have an obvious spot on the roster unless they aren’t planning to bring Torpedo back which might cause me to riot.
I don't mind Mac for 2. He's the 13th forward and if you lose him on waivers who cares.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Bill, if you are comfortable with this team -as is currently- for the next season/forseeable future, care to share your optimism?

I want to believe we are "ok" but "on paper" we were a decent team last year and NOW on paper we're a " fighting for a wild card spot at best" team just 4 yrs from a sc winning team...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:06 pm Bill, if you are comfortable with this team -as is currently- for the next season/forseeable future, care to share your optimism?

I want to believe we are "ok" but "on paper" we were a decent team last year and NOW on paper we're a " fighting for a wild card spot at best" team just 4 yrs from a sc winning team...
Forward group is deep. 4 lines deep. If healthy, they should score over 300 plus goals. I think it’s a playoff team. Pipeline is loaded. Right now, I’m very content where we are. You got to remember, this team has been humming since 2009, so to not have crashed and burn along the way since then and to have a Cup in our pocket and to be where we are today, I think that’s damn good. I think a lot of you guys will be surprised how good this team will be this year. And the chance to sustain success is there with the kids we have now. It’s all good.

BillP wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:23 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:06 pm Bill, if you are comfortable with this team -as is currently- for the next season/forseeable future, care to share your optimism?

Forward group is deep. 4 lines deep. If healthy, they should score over 300 plus goals. I think it’s a playoff team. Pipeline is loaded. Right now, I’m very content where we are. You got to remember, this team has been humming since 2009, so to not have crashed and burn along the way since then and to have a Cup in our pocket and to be where we are today, I think that’s damn good. I think a lot of you guys will be surprised how good this team will be this year. And the chance to sustain success is there with the kids we have now. It’s all good.
We know this team was better than they showed last year.... McT amd MVR werea couple of duds, and now they're outta here and Chief got to pick a couple of his own guys....hopefully that works. It comes down to players playing up to their ability... If they do they will be good, if they don't...well who gives a shit - can't watch 'em anyway.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:00 pm
I don't mind Mac for 2. He's the 13th forward and if you lose him on waivers who cares.
MAYBE 13th forward if it's at the expense of giving guys like Neighbours, Torop, Alexandrov playing time it's a disaster. Also again, who was he bidding against? All these one year contracts today and Dougie is like, here you can have an extra year as a little treat. Hell lets check it for a NTC :lol:

It's not that Mac Mac is going to kill this team, its just the baffling aspect of it. The WHY?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Maybe we are creeping towards Doug is looking for a new challenge in life and wants to move on.

Maybe he wants to buy some of these guys out and spend some money but he doesn't have the support of ownership.

I don't think this is a competitive lineup and won't be for a couple of seasons. I'm not saying we won't make the playoffs but these next few seasons could be pretty painful.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:01 pm

MAYBE 13th forward if it's at the expense of giving guys like Neighbours, Torop, Alexandrov playing time it's a disaster. Also again, who was he bidding against? All these one year contracts today and Dougie is like, here you can have an extra year as a little treat. Hell lets check it for a NTC :lol:

It's not that Mac Mac is going to kill this team, its just the baffling aspect of it. The WHY?
It was careless. In my opinion he'd be about the 16th forward on the depth chart and we signed him for two seasons of guaranteed one way dollars.

Dumb.

No one is worried about losing him on waivers. I'd cheer the move.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:49 pm

No one is worried about losing him on waivers. I'd cheer the move.
I'd rather have him at AAV of 775 or whatever it was for 2 years than 1 at 900. Definition of a harmless signing. They'll have no hesitation to send him down. If someone claims him it doesn't hurt the team. It's absolutely not a signing that matters in any way shape or form.

Still counts against the cap don’t it? I think it’s a waste but who knows. The kid usually is a spark for 1 or 2 games every time you call him up. Did it for Carolina in the playoffs. Maybe it’ll pay off, Army knows what he’s doing even though at times we’re like WTF! 😂

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:11 am
T.C. wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:39 am Maybe a trade or two is coming? I have to assume Army knows things we don’t about where he’s going, hence these set-up moves.
Maybe. Or maybe it’s another season of no identity
Unless a trade changes the status quote, it looks like they're just hoping competent coaching will improve the back end to the point that they can compete for the last playoff spot. Better that than selling futures for slim gains or getting involved in ugly UFA deals.

Anaheim signed Killorn for 6.25x4. I legitimately thought it was a total of $6.25M at first, not per year. That is an insane contract. It legit makes 0 sense.

The other deal I wanted to mention was Sorokin at 8.25*8 with the Islanders. I saw it get ripped a bit on here, but I can't imagine why. Yes, committing to a goalie for that long is risky, but he's played 2 full seasons and it's pretty hard to argue that there's been a goalie better than him over the course of those two years combined. After the cap goes up next year it's not going to be that scary of a cap hit. He might wear down by the end of the deal, but who knows. The cap will be over $100M by then, so it won't be a big deal anyway. As long as he doesn't suffer a really nasty injury over the next couple years I think it'll be a great deal for the Islanders.