Re: NHL Draft GDT

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:32 am I don't think Habs fans are happy with their pick of Reinbacher. Warning: don't play out loud at work

Instead of going to Tootsies the Montreal and Arizona teams were tooting something else.

I realize teams need defensemen but you can't waste a top pick for guys who will never be difference makers. Baffling.
But... How do you REALLY feel?

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:02 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:43 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:32 am I don't think Habs fans are happy with their pick of Reinbacher. Warning: don't play out loud at work

Instead of going to Tootsies the Montreal and Arizona teams were tooting something else.

I realize teams need defensemen but you can't waste a top pick for guys who will never be difference makers. Baffling.
But... How do you REALLY feel?
😅

I'm sure these players are and will be very good NHLers but both teams could have easily traded down and amassed even more assets and still have gotten their picks. They must have thought they were getting Cale Makar considering how deep this draft was.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:49 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:26 pm How many nets are there? Three goalies is bold

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 4.26.18 PM.png
If you prescribe to the "goalies are voodoo" theory, maybe you want a lot of lottery tickets?
Price is just about through. The Habs NEED very badly to get a successor. Three chances are better than just one, when developing a goalie capable of being a difference-maker on The NHL level is much more precarious and difficult to achieve than coming up with comparable defencemen or forwards.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:26 pm How many nets are there? Three goalies is bold

If you prescribe to the "goalies are voodoo" theory, maybe you want a lot of lottery tickets?
Sure you can take as many as you want but you can still only play 1 of them. If they pan out, goalies don't hold nearly the trade value that other players do. Having three goalies on the same timeline is a very weird strategy.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:55 pm

Sure you can take as many as you want but you can still only play 1 of them. If they pan out, goalies don't hold nearly the trade value that other players do. Having three goalies on the same timeline is a very weird strategy.
I like what the Blues have been doing. I think we are pretty solid in net now but as you said drafting three in the same class is a bit redundant.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/ ... wks-bedard

Winner: St. Louis Blues
Let's start here: The megatrade that never was ultimately turned into the Blues giving up only a 2024 sixth-round pick to land a top-six center in Kevin Hayes. It's a contrast compared to what was thought to be on the table, which may have included one of the Blues' three first-round picks they would ultimately keep.

Retaining those first-round picks means the Blues were able to have even more players for the future who could potentially supplement their current reboot. Dalibor Dvorsky, who went 10th, projects to be the sort of talent that can be a top-six forward. Using those late, first-round picks to take center Otto Stenberg and defenseman Theo Lindstein gives them players who could need more time compared to Dvorsky.

All of this builds on the draft class the Blues had last year that was led by Jimmy Snuggerud. Perhaps the most crucial component is that the Blues did not have to sacrifice their future in order to help themselves win now. -- Clark

Three chances to hit on a goalie is a lot better than just one (as The Blues have learned, with so many misses on the goalies they've drafted. Having all 3 hit is very unlikely. If TWO hit, one can be the back-up. The other can be traded off. The difference in trade return is part of the cost of making sure you have a better chance to hit on A goalie in the draft, instead of having to overpay for a below-average netminder when you are desperate, because your starter has been seriously hurt, you're in a playoff race, and your backup isn't good enough to get you there. The difference between what you could get for a defenceman or forward and what you get for an extra goalie isn't worth losing a chance to hit on your next franchise goalie when your last one is retiring, and your current replacement is a below-average netminder, and you've got no one in your system that looks like he's got potential to become a big winner. This seems to be a strategy used by GMs whose organisation has a recent history of not being able to develop goalies very well. They hit on Price, but that happened a long time ago.

Was just following up on the 2022 Blues draft class and we all know about Snuggie but I was looking at the two 3rd rounders as the Blues again didn't have a second rounder and the Blues may have something here.

Michael Buchinger was pick #88 a LHD. His draft year for Guelph Storm he had 5 goals 39 assist in 63 games. This year he took it to another level scoring 15 goals 52 assist in 61 games.

Found this recent update on him from April:

Due to the pandemic, his rookie year and his draft year were one and the same. That is a difficult hand to be dealt as the 17-year-old got familiar with the league and pace of play and had the distraction of his draft year to complicate things. As a result, his play was inconsistent showing signs of high end skill and lapses in decision making and flat out bad plays.

As his comfort in the league grows and his sill and coaching continue to develop he has improved his play and consistency. His point production went from 44 points to 67 and he eclipsed the point per game point pace. For a mid-round pick he was a bit of a gamble, but one that is trending towards a nice payoff. He recently signed his ELC with the Blues.

Not saying I agree with it, just spitballing. I say they convert one to a skater...see what happens.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:18 pm

Not saying I agree with it, just spitballing. I say they convert one to a skater...see what happens.
Maybe Montreal drafted the Shohei Ohtani of goaltenders.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:50 pm Was just following up on the 2022 Blues draft class and we all know about Snuggie but I was looking at the two 3rd rounders as the Blues again didn't have a second rounder and the Blues may have something here.

Michael Buchinger was pick #88 a LHD. His draft year for Guelph Storm he had 5 goals 39 assist in 63 games. This year he took it to another level scoring 15 goals 52 assist in 61 games.

Due to the pandemic, his rookie year and his draft year were one and the same. That is a difficult hand to be dealt as the 17-year-old got familiar with the league and pace of play and had the distraction of his draft year to complicate things. As a result, his play was inconsistent showing signs of high end skill and lapses in decision making and flat out bad plays.

As his comfort in the league grows and his sill and coaching continue to develop he has improved his play and consistency. His point production went from 44 points to 67 and he eclipsed the point per game point pace. For a mid-round pick he was a bit of a gamble, but one that is trending towards a nice payoff. He recently signed his ELC with the Blues.
That will really help if Buchinger becomes at least an NHl 2nd pairing 2-way D-man whose defence is very solid.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:50 pm Was just following up on the 2022 Blues draft class and we all know about Snuggie but I was looking at the two 3rd rounders as the Blues again didn't have a second rounder and the Blues may have something here.

Found out about him a couple weeks ago. Sounds promising.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:26 pm

I don't understand this reference.
:runs to google:
I don't baseball. I don't get this reference.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:26 am

He's a pitcher who also happens to be a fantastic hitter. I was joking that maybe they found a guy who can play goal and score goals too.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:26 am

Modern day Babe Ruth, minus the accusations that he murdered his wife.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:48 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:22 am This is absolutely absurd. Kid literally did nothing but get drafted.

IMG_0043.jpeg
Bunch of losers.
They really are. Such misguided anger. Be mad at the team/GM all you want, but if you're sending 18 year old's hate messages and death threats simply because your team drafted them, then I'm not sure sports is your thing. Maybe grippy socks and a padded room is more befitting. I know a message board for you.