Re: NHL Draft GDT

Ozzies09tc wrote:
BluesSK wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:50 pm I also think it's interesting how highly Neighbours is still thought of because there's Blues fans that think he's already on his last life.
The local media guys have been saying he's a middle of the lineup guy and to date he hasn't really shown it. I think it's less of a last life and more of unfulfilled expectations.
We're really good at drafting patrick berglund's
I remember the very first shift I saw Patrick Berglund and he did a sweet move in the middle and let off a nice shot and I said to myself, now that's a hockey player.
Despite all the ups and downs, Berglund was still pretty good, he just should of been better. But he was a head case and his episode in Buffalo confirmed that.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:08 am Pronmon has updated the prospect rankings post draft. Blues are ranked 18th. They were 29th last year.

I think most interesting is Bolduc doesn't get mentioned til #7. He greatly questions his compete level and think he's too content to just play on the perimeter.

Here's the top five.

Player Ranking
1. Dalibor Dvorsky, C

6/15/2005 | 6-foot-1 | 200 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 10 in 2023
Tier: Top of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Dvorsky is quite dangerous inside the offensive zone. He has excellent puck skills in small areas and can make checkers miss routinely in open ice. He can make tough plays and find seams. He excels as a goal scorer, though, with a wrist shot and one-timer that he can often finish from range. Dvorsky’s compete is good, he wins puck battles and he isn’t shy from using his body. Like a lot of shooters, he can stay too much on the perimeter instead of taking it to the net, but I never watch his games and think he lacks effort. His footspeed is going to be an issue for higher levels. I think with his offensive talent, his work ethic and strong and consistent track record of scoring he finds a way to become a very important part of an NHL lineup, but I’m less sure of whether he sticks down the middle or has to be a winger due to his skating.

2. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW

6/1/2004 | 6-foot-1 | 186 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 23 in 2022
Tier: Bubble top and middle of the lineup player

Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: Above NHL average

Analysis: Snuggerud had a great season. He was a big part of the success of Minnesota’s top line and was one of the better forwards at the world juniors. Snuggerud is full of skill and offensive creativity. He makes difficult dekes and passes seem routine and despite not having great footspeed he generates a lot of controlled entries with his skill. Inside the zone, he’s a pass and shot threat and can impact a power play. Snuggerud has a decent frame, competes hard for pucks and can generate offense at the net. His skating is the only real issue in his game, but everything else says top six wing which is what I think he projects as.

3. Otto Stenberg, C

5/29/2005 | 5-foot-11 | 185 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 25 in 2023
Tier: Middle of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average

Analysis: There is a lot to like about Stenberg’s game. He is a strong skater with good hands who can be a threat in transition. His shot is excellent, and Stenberg is often a threat to score from the faceoff dots, although I don’t know if that will be his role on an NHL power play. Stenberg isn’t the biggest forward, but he gives an honest effort every night and doesn’t shy from going into traffic. His hockey sense is good enough to score at higher levels, and he’s certainly more of a shooter than a passer. He’s listed as a center but is likely a pro winger. I could see him as a second or third line wing in the NHL.

4. Jake Neighbours, LW

3/29/2002 | 6-feet | 201 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 26 in 2020

Compete: High-end

Analysis: Neighbours split time as a rookie pro between the AHL and NHL putting up solid but not amazing numbers. He has strong puck skills and offensive instincts and a decent shot, but I don’t think pure offense is what Neighbours is going to be known for. He is a true competitor, though, who doesn’t shy from getting involved in physical play, kills penalties well and gives a good effort every game. His skating is average but the work ethic should be good enough to compensate to become a middle six wing.

5. Zach Dean, C

1/4/2003 | 6-feet | 176 pounds | Shoots left

Acquired via trade

Skating: NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Shot: High-end

Analysis: Dean was very good in his final QMJHL season and made Canada’s U20 team. He’s not going to land on many highlight reels, but Dean has a lot of NHL qualities. He has good speed and hands, and projects to create controlled exits and entries at the NHL level. He’s a competitive forward who has a physical edge in his game. Dean isn’t the most prolific scorer ever, but he has an excellent shot that can beat pro goalies from range. He has the qualities to be a middle six forward, and if he stays down the middle he could be a 3C.

https://theathletic.com/4793929/2023/08 ... -rankings/
I was just looking at some of the Blues prospects and was curious about where Dylan Peterson stands. He was drafted in the third round of 2020 but seems to have fallen through the cracks.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:02 am

I was just looking at some of the Blues prospects and was curious about where Dylan Peterson stands. He was drafted in the third round of 2020 but seems to have fallen through the cracks.
He's listed in the "has a chance to play" category.

Dylan Peterson, C

1/8/2002 | 6-foot-4 | 192 pounds | Shoots right

Drafted: No. 86 in 2020

Analysis: Peterson skates very well for a big man, has some puck skills and competes hard, too. His hockey sense limits his offensive output, though.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:23 am

Dylan Peterson, C

Analysis: Peterson skates very well for a big man, has some puck skills and competes hard, too. His hockey sense limits his offensive output, though.
The COVID drafts seem to be real crapshoots. I've been checking the '20 And '21 drafts and even though it's still early in the career progression of some of these players there hasn't been a lot of success so far.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:55 am

Dylan Peterson, C

The COVID drafts seem to be real crapshoots. I've been checking the '20 And '21 drafts and even though it's still early in the career progression of some of these players there hasn't been a lot of success so far.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bolduc. The problem for players like him is they really have nothing to fall back onto if the offensive game doesn't click at the NHL level. With someone like Stenberg, at least if he never fully peaks offensively, he still has that 200 foot tough to play against bottom 6 role in his game to be a long time NHLer. If you don't, well then you're just Ty Rattie, Nail Yakapov, etc etc etc.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:01 am

Dylan Peterson, C

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bolduc. The problem for players like him is they really have nothing to fall back onto if the offensive game doesn't click at the NHL level. With someone like Stenberg, at least if he never fully peaks offensively, he still has that 200 foot tough to play against bottom 6 role in his game to be a long time NHLer. If you don't, well then you're just Ty Rattie, Nail Yakapov, etc etc etc.
Supposedly he was working on the 200 foot aspect of his game last season as that was the homework the Blues sent him packing with after camp. Hopefully he made enough strides to avoid the Rattie Range. I think some fans get upset when they see rankings like this since they're invested in the prospects, but I trust that the scouts are impartial. If a guy comes off in a more negative light, it could be that fans overrate them, but it could be that the scout saw him on a bad day. We'll find out soon enough.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:07 pm

Supposedly he was working on the 200 foot aspect of his game last season as that was the homework the Blues sent him packing with after camp. Hopefully he made enough strides to avoid the Rattie Range. I think some fans get upset when they see rankings like this since they're invested in the prospects, but I trust that the scouts are impartial. If a guy comes off in a more negative light, it could be that fans overrate them, but it could be that the scout saw him on a bad day. We'll find out soon enough.
Maybe him and Kyrou are in summer school together

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:00 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:07 pm

Over the last month or so I'd forgotten about all the whispers of Kyrou being lazy and pissing off the dressing room or whatever. I really hope this season doesn't suck ass. They don't have to be in the Cup mix or even make the playoffs, I just want it to be worth a couple hours on the couch a few times a week. I'm going to be there anyway.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:14 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:07 pmSupposedly he was working on the 200 foot aspect of his game last season as that was the homework the Blues sent him packing with after camp. Hopefully he made enough strides to avoid the Rattie Range. I think some fans get upset when they see rankings like this since they're invested in the prospects, but I trust that the scouts are impartial. If a guy comes off in a more negative light, it could be that fans overrate them, but it could be that the scout saw him on a bad day. We'll find out soon enough.
Over the last month or so I'd forgotten about all the whispers of Kyrou being lazy and pissing off the dressing room or whatever. I really hope this season doesn't suck ass. They don't have to be in the Cup mix or even make the playoffs, I just want it to be worth a couple hours on the couch a few times a week. I'm going to be there anyway.
I suggest you listen to anger management podcasts between periods. :x

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:46 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:14 am
I suggest you listen to anger management podcasts between periods. :x
Serenity now.