Re: Blues trade for Kevin Hayes

I'm happy that The Blues didn't give up one of their 1st Rounders to dump off Krug, and still got Hayes, anyway, at only $3.6 million per year for just a 6th Rounder. I want them to draft 3 high-level prospects with the 3 1st Rounders in this deep draft. They need to stock up on very young, very talented, low-cost players, who will have the same mid-prime career window as Thomas, Kyrou, Perunovich, Dean, Vrana, Bolduc, and next season's first couple draft choices. I imagine The blues will just play him one year and then dump him off. His addition just means The Blues have one more one-dimensional offence-only player that Berube is going to have to coax to attempt to play SOME defence. that's going to be a tough chore.

Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:51 am I'm happy that The Blues didn't give up one of their 1st Rounders to dump off Krug, and still got Hayes, anyway, at only $3.6 million per year for just a 6th Rounder. I want them to draft 3 high-level prospects with the 3 1st Rounders in this deep draft. They need to stock up on very young, very talented, low-cost players, who will have the same mid-prime career window as Thomas, Kyrou, Perunovich, Dean, Vrana, Bolduc, and next season's first couple draft choices. I imagine The blues will just play him one year and then dump him off. His addition just means The Blues have one more one-dimensional offence-only player that Berube is going to have to coax to attempt to play SOME defence. that's going to be a tough chore.
Wholeheartedly agree with this. It just isn't worth it, ESPECIALLY if you're taking on another questionable contract right back too.

The thing with Hayes is he isn't BAD defensively, he just sometimes doesn't give the full effort with it and there's a big difference in those. When he played for the Rangers he was their "shutdown" center, albeit he wasn't going to be confused for a Selke nominee. I really think getting away from Torts and with some motivation to prove people wrong he's going to have a fine season for the Blues. The Flyers sucked but he still lead them in assist and was second in points, but here he just needs to be a good solid depth addition.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:51 am
Robb_K wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:51 am I'm happy that The Blues didn't give up one of their 1st Rounders to dump off Krug, and still got Hayes, anyway, at only $3.6 million per year for just a 6th Rounder. I want them to draft 3 high-level prospects with the 3 1st Rounders in this deep draft. They need to stock up on very young, very talented, low-cost players, who will have the same mid-prime career window as Thomas, Kyrou, Perunovich, Dean, Vrana, Bolduc, and next season's first couple draft choices. I imagine The blues will just play him one year and then dump him off. His addition just means The Blues have one more one-dimensional offence-only player that Berube is going to have to coax to attempt to play SOME defence. that's going to be a tough chore.
Wholeheartedly agree with this. It just isn't worth it, ESPECIALLY if you're taking on another questionable contract right back too.

The thing with Hayes is he isn't BAD defensively, he just sometimes doesn't give the full effort with it and there's a big difference in those. When he played for the Rangers he was their "shutdown" center, albeit he wasn't going to be confused for a Selke nominee. I really think getting away from Torts and with some motivation to prove people wrong he's going to have a fine season for the Blues. The Flyers sucked but he still lead them in assist and was second in points, but here he just needs to be a good solid depth addition.
That's a fair assessment. I've made my opinion known I'm ho-hum about the guy but I'm not DOWN on him.

Getting away from torts is like a breath of fresh air for ANY player, so who knows maybe he has a career year here!
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:01 pm Army just needs to keep making trades with whoever happens to be the GM of the Flyers at the time because it seems like we come out roses on each of them. He needs to lose Stevie Y's number though.
Vrana deal is off to a good start at least. He tends to do well in trades with the Rangers and Flyers. He frequently makes trades with Montreal, but there's a new administration there. He's made a couple draft pick trades with Toronto in recent years, so keep an eye on Dubas and the Pens depending on how the board is looking at 14.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:51 am

THAT was my point. Hayes, along with basically ALL his Flyers forward teammates gave up backchecking, or hustling to get back on defence, once they sensed that their team would have no chance to get even remotely close to a playoff position this past season. It took The Blues longer to give up, but, basically they played like that most of the last half of the season, especially after Tarasenko and O'Reilly were traded away (but they started playing like that quite a bit before- which is why the "fire sale' decision was made. So, why would Hayes try his best to hustle and put a lot into trying his best to get back on defence and play hard all game, every game, in an atmosphere of players that have given up? How is Berube going to get everyone playing hard again, if they sense that they don't have any chance to make the playoffs?
I was hoping that, at least, Barbashev might re-sign with The Blues, but he signed a 5 year deal, re-upping with The Golden Knights. :evil: