Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Canucks - 7:00 3/28

Man, if we fix the defense in the off-season without sacrificing our draft picks too much, and our new acquisitions (and RE-acquisitions) keep playing anywhere close to where they have been this season, we could bounce back to being a strong playoff team as soon as next season AND restock the prospect pipeline at the same time.

Vrana - 8 goals, 10 points in 12 games
Blais - 8 goals, 17 points in 23 games
Kapanen - 7 goals, 11 points in 15 games

They and Buchnevich (25 goals, 66 points in 59 games) are all like 26-27, so should be in their primes for a couple more years.

Kyrou and Thomas should continue to round out their games, and Schenn is still producing and providing leadership. Saad is getting older, but could still be a great middle-6 guy who could play up a line, too.

That's 8 of a pretty good top-9 there (depending on whether they keep up their performance). Another top-6 forward will set our forwards for a while.

But then there's the defense...

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm Man, if we fix the defense in the off-season without sacrificing our draft picks too much, and our new acquisitions (and RE-acquisitions) keep playing anywhere close to where they have been this season, we could bounce back to being a strong playoff team as soon as next season AND restock the prospect pipeline at the same time.

They and Buchnevich (25 goals, 66 points in 59 games) are all like 26-27, so should be in their primes for a couple more years.

Kyrou and Thomas should continue to round out their games, and Schenn is still producing and providing leadership. Saad is getting older, but could still be a great middle-6 guy who could play up a line, too.

That's 8 of a pretty good top-9 there (depending on whether they keep up their performance). Another top-6 forward will set our forwards for a while.

Neighbours fills out the top 9. And maybe Snuggeruud will play much of 2023-24 up with The Blues after 25-35 games at Springfield? The way Blais is playing, I'd hate to see him knocked down to The 4th Line.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm Neighbors can't shoot for shit
He's only exactly 21years and 0 days old. His shooting % has been above 10% in too small a sample to worry about. He'll shoot more as he gets more comfortable in The NHL game. Most 1st-year NHL forwards shoot a lot less during their first 35 -40 games than they do for the rest of their careers. In any case, The Blues will have a few more candidates to break into The Top 9.

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:01 pm Man, if we fix the defense in the off-season without sacrificing our draft picks too much, and our new acquisitions (and RE-acquisitions) keep playing anywhere close to where they have been this season, we could bounce back to being a strong playoff team as soon as next season AND restock the prospect pipeline at the same time.

Yeah, the Army magic continues. The table is set. With some more deft maneuvering, he could put this team on track for the Cup again. That D is the biggest project in the puzzle right now.

Robb_K wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:02 am
He's only exactly 21years and 0 days old. His shooting % has been above 10% in too small a sample to worry about. He'll shoot more as he gets more comfortable in The NHL game. Most 1st-year NHL forwards shoot a lot less during their first 35 -40 games than they do for the rest of their careers. In any case, The Blues will have a few more candidates to break into The Top 9.
You can see a lot of things at games that don't come through on the TV. Neighbors does not have an NHL caliber shot currently. Will he improve... maybe slightly.

Robb_K wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:13 pm

Neighbours fills out the top 9. And maybe Snuggeruud will play much of 2023-24 up with The Blues after 25-35 games at Springfield? The way Blais is playing, I'd hate to see him knocked down to The 4th Line.
It is fun playing around with the idea of who might be on our lines next season. Lots of room for optimism there.

And then I think about the defense. 😫

Great breakdown. Both Vrana and Kap are shooting at 20% with the Blues while Blais is at a whopping 25%! Those will obviously balance out but I don't think any of us expected Kap and certainly not Blais to be 30 goal scorers anyway. If you can get Kapanen in the 20-25 range for a season that would be fantastic. Basically playing as a faster Saad.

Also, Kap and Vrana are entering the final year of their deal next year, I believe, so both will have that extra motivation.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:45 am

Great breakdown. Both Vrana and Kap are shooting at 20% with the Blues while Blais is at a whopping 25%! Those will obviously balance out but I don't think any of us expected Kap and certainly not Blais to be 30 goal scorers anyway. If you can get Kapanen in the 20-25 range for a season that would be fantastic. Basically playing as a faster Saad.

Also, Kap and Vrana are entering the final year of their deal next year, I believe, so both will have that extra motivation.
I'm guilty of already wanting both resigned at a reasonable price/term.

BillP. wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:53 am

Army has run into issues rushing to sign guys after good starts with the team. No rush, let it play out. Both could be great trade chips next year if the team isn't going in a good direction, especially Vrana.

BillP. wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:53 am

Army has run into issues rushing to sign guys after good starts with the team. No rush, let it play out. Both could be great trade chips next year if the team isn't going in a good direction, especially Vrana.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:24 am
You can see a lot of things at games that don't come through on the TV. Neighbors does not have an NHL caliber shot currently. Will he improve... maybe slightly.
Maybe The Blues can get Al MacInnis to work with him on his shot, or send him to a Pro shooting coach for private lessons, during the offseason? If he gets his form fundamentals down better, he can spend a lot of time working on it. I've seen several players that were weak shooters improve significantly after reaching The NHL. A lot of repetitions, of a more correct, efficient form helps a lot.

Robb_K wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:11 pm
Maybe The Blues can get Al MacInnis to work with him on his shot, or send him to a Pro shooting coach for private lessons, during the offseason? If he gets his form fundamentals down better, he can spend a lot of time working on it. I've seen several players that were weak shooters improve significantly after reaching The NHL. A lot of repetitions, of a more correct, efficient form helps a lot.
He's got gumption.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:00 pm

He's got gumption.
Maybe he will be better next year and when that happens... I will say... "Hey his shot has really improved."

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:53 pm
He's got gumption.
Maybe he will be better next year and when that happens... I will say... "Hey his shot has really improved."
All you need is gumption. 👍

He's got gumption.
I haven't see enough of him or paid attention. Is his shot that bad? Please expand on what's wrong with it. Is it weak, doesn't shoot enough, or what?

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:36 am

He's got gumption.
I haven't see enough of him or paid attention. Is his shot that bad? Please expand on what's wrong with it. Is it weak, doesn't shoot enough, or what?
His shooting more would certainly help. That's a pretty common problem for NHL rookies. He's looked a lot more comfortable in his last few games. I think he'll be fine, with a big jump early next season. Both he and Snuggeruud should help this team greatly. And Hofer will help a lot, too. I'd just feel, a lot better, overall, if Army could do something significant to help The Team's defence.