Re: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

T.C. wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:32 am Oh good, more non-physical players.
Yeah. That doesn't overly excite me. I want players who are a real pain in the ass to play against.

We've got a coaching staff who spent years being that so let's get them some players that can play the game they like.

If you boys are wanting the Blues to just draft a power forward style player then Charlie Stramel is your guy to watch late in the first. Once seen as a likely high first round pick his stock has slipped after an inconsistent freshman year at Wisconsin but has size and power for days. Ethan Gauthier is another name to watch late round 1. While not nearly the size of Stramel, he'll still hit you in the mouth and laugh about it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 am If you boys are wanting the Blues to just draft a power forward style player then Charlie Stramel is your guy to watch late in the first. Once seen as a likely high first round pick his stock has slipped after an inconsistent freshman year at Wisconsin but has size and power for days. Ethan Gauthier is another name to watch late round 1. While not nearly the size of Stramel, he'll still hit you in the mouth and laugh about it.
I just want nasty. The position is irrelevant. It's the mindset that I want.

BluesSK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:38 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:10 am If you boys are wanting the Blues to just draft a power forward style player then Charlie Stramel is your guy to watch late in the first. Once seen as a likely high first round pick his stock has slipped after an inconsistent freshman year at Wisconsin but has size and power for days. Ethan Gauthier is another name to watch late round 1. While not nearly the size of Stramel, he'll still hit you in the mouth and laugh about it.
Well, that exact word is in Ethan Gauthier's scouting report.

32. Ethan Gauthier, RW, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)

Jan. 26, 2005 | 5′ 11.25″ | 175 pounds | Shoots right

Analysis: Gauthier has very good skill and offensive IQ. He can beat defenders one-on-one at a high rate, making creative plays in small areas and showing he can create a lot for his teammates too. He has talent but also competes well. He is quite physical and can be a nasty player to play against, which you love to see from a smaller player. Gauthier gets to the net and can create chances there frequently. His skating has grown on me as the season has gone along. He has pro quickness, but I find he slows the game down too much and could use more pace in his game. Gauthier can get around defenders when he needs to though, and for that reason I could see a middle six NHL wing.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:55 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:38 am
Well, that exact word is in Ethan Gauthier's scouting report.

32. Ethan Gauthier, RW, Sherbrooke (QMJHL)

Jan. 26, 2005 | 5′ 11.25″ | 175 pounds | Shoots right

Analysis: Gauthier has very good skill and offensive IQ. He can beat defenders one-on-one at a high rate, making creative plays in small areas and showing he can create a lot for his teammates too. He has talent but also competes well. He is quite physical and can be a nasty player to play against, which you love to see from a smaller player. Gauthier gets to the net and can create chances there frequently. His skating has grown on me as the season has gone along. He has pro quickness, but I find he slows the game down too much and could use more pace in his game. Gauthier can get around defenders when he needs to though, and for that reason I could see a middle six NHL wing.
That's the element we need. We weren't really dirty in our Cup run but we were really a pain to play against and other teams and their fans hated us for that. We really got away from that style of hockey.

Shaugabay is a skilled forward. He’s a pretty good player…might be worth a gamble.
With our first pick I was hoping that one of Will Smith or Nate Danielson would be there at 10 but it’s very unlikely now and Smith might have made a case for top 3 with his play in the U18’s. He’s a ridiculously talented player. Danielson is the perfect St. Louis Blue, would love for him to be there at #10.
Don’t sleep on Shaugabay…lots of talent in that kid. Button has him ranked #40…other sites have him in the 50-60 range. I remember Blues drafting a kid named Oshie who wasn’t supposed to go in the first round either.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:22 pm Shaugabay is a skilled forward. He’s a pretty good player…might be worth a gamble.
With our first pick I was hoping that one of Will Smith or Nate Danielson would be there at 10 but it’s very unlikely now and Smith might have made a case for top 3 with his play in the U18’s. He’s a ridiculously talented player. Danielson is the perfect St. Louis Blue, would love for him to be there at #10.
Don’t sleep on Shaugabay…lots of talent in that kid. Button has him ranked #40…other sites have him in the 50-60 range. I remember Blues drafting a kid named Oshie who wasn’t supposed to go in the first round either.
I agree on Smith. He would be a great get for the Blues but as you mentioned he seems to have firmly planted himself in that consensus top 4, now 5, that have kind of separated themselves from the rest along with Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, and Carlsson.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:51 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:22 pm Shaugabay is a skilled forward. He’s a pretty good player…might be worth a gamble.
I agree on Smith. He would be a great get for the Blues but as you mentioned he seems to have firmly planted himself in that consensus top 4, now 5, that have kind of separated themselves from the rest along with Bedard, Fantilli, Michkov, and Carlsson.
Will Smith will just flat out slap you if you say the wrong thing.
Lack of composure could be an issue with him per scouting reports.

BillP wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:06 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:51 pm
Will Smith will just flat out slap you if you say the wrong thing.
Lack of composure could be an issue with him per scouting reports.
😂

Good one.

The legend and hype of Will Smith is growing. One thing that’s consistent is after those top 5 every draft analysis rankings are all over the place

Bob McKenzie's top 12 Lottery edition prospects rankings:

1. Bedard (C)
2. Fantilli (C)
3. Smith (C)
4. Carlsson (C)
5. Michkov (RW)
6. Dvorsky (C)
7. Leonard (RW)
8. Benson (LW)
9. Perreault (LW)
10. Reinbacher (D)
11. Barlow (LW)
12. Wood (RW

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:05 am Repost that is relevant today:
Obviously Blues are top choice to win the sweepstakes. IF not us, then who are you rooting for/against?

Rooting against CBJ, Arizona, Chicago.

I'm rooting for Philly and Detroit. I know I know, Detroit. But lets face it, they are no longer a rival, it puts him in the East and I grew up in a time where Detroit was hockey royalty and I just enjoy the sport more when teams that were good when I was growing up, are good. I WANT TO HATE THEM AGAIN! Now I'm watching teams make playoff runs that weren't even born when I grew up watching hockey.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Obviously Blues are top choice to win the sweepstakes. IF not us, then who are you rooting for/against?

I'm rooting for Philly and Detroit. I know I know, Detroit. But lets face it, they are no longer a rival, it puts him in the East and I grew up in a time where Detroit was hockey royalty and I just enjoy the sport more when teams that were good when I was growing up, are good. I WANT TO HATE THEM AGAIN! Now I'm watching teams make playoff runs that weren't even born when I grew up watching hockey.
Yzerman's been in Detroit how long now? Not all that impressed with what they got on that roster. For that reason, I give a big fat NO, I don't want to see Detroit get that first pick. They don't deserve it. We deserve it. Columbus deserves it. I'll even go with Philly, hockey needs the Philadelphia Flyers to kick ass again.
Fuck Yzerman :lol:

BillP. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:52 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Yzerman's been in Detroit how long now? Not all that impressed with what they got on that roster. For that reason, I give a big fat NO, I don't want to see Detroit get that first pick. They don't deserve it. We deserve it. Columbus deserves it. I'll even go with Philly, hockey needs the Philadelphia Flyers to kick ass again.
Fuck Yzerman :lol:
Ain't that the truth. We are a long ways from the Lindros, Leclair, Jones, Brind'Amour, Renberg days

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:36 am

TC just go ahead and ban DPW whenever you get the chance, thanks.

If I had to categorize my preferences outside of the Blues:

Screw these guys:
Chicago, Detroit

Fair, but hate the fit/bad market:
CBJ, AZ

I should like this fit more but am irrationally bothered:
ANA, WSH

Seems too dysfunctional for Bedard's sake:
VAN, SJ

Sure, that's fine by me:
PHI, MTL
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!