Re: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Pronman updated his top 142 rankings. https://theathletic.com/4538998/2023/05 ... d-pronman/

Tier 1: Bubble generational player and elite NHL player
Connor Bedard
REGINA
C

Tier 2: Elite NHL player
Adam Fantilli
MICHIGAN
C

Matvei Michkov
SKA ST. PETERSBURG
RW

Tier 3: NHL All-Star
Leo Carlsson
OREBRO
C

William Smith
USA U-18
C

Tier 4: Top of the lineup player
David Reinbacher
KLOTEN
D

Nate Danielson
BRANDON
C

Dalibor Dvorsky
AIK
C

Danil But
YAROSLAVL JR.
LW

Dmitriy Simashev
YAROSLAVL JR.
D
Just a Russian propaganda account

JMC-STL wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:43 pm Serious question: Is Putin gonna let ANY Russian prospects come to North America?
Well, they don't allow gay marriages, but russian bath houses have fully nude men fully scrubbing other men down (ask comedian rafe williams about this) from top to bottom no holds barred...

So he will likely say no then allow the players to come over
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:50 am Pronman updated his top 142 rankings. https://theathletic.com/4538998/2023/05 ... d-pronman/

Tier 1: Bubble generational player and elite NHL player
Connor Bedard
REGINA
C

Tier 2: Elite NHL player
Adam Fantilli
MICHIGAN
C

Matvei Michkov
SKA ST. PETERSBURG
RW

Tier 3: NHL All-Star
Leo Carlsson
OREBRO
C

William Smith
USA U-18
C

Tier 4: Top of the lineup player
David Reinbacher
KLOTEN
D

Nate Danielson
BRANDON
C

Dalibor Dvorsky
AIK
C

Danil But
YAROSLAVL JR.
LW

Dmitriy Simashev
YAROSLAVL JR.
D
I'd argue that Smith and Carlson belong in that elite tier with Fantilli
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

There's a rumor (which I think is HIGHLY unlikely) that San Jose may be willing to trade down the #4 overall pick, looking for multiple later picks.

IF this is true (BIG "if." IMHO), should the Blues bite? I don't know if it's worth it to package the #10 and a later 1st, but what about both later 1sts and a 2nd next year?

It COULD make sense, seeing how San Jose looks like they're finally facing a REAL rebuild, looking at a 5+ year time frame while the Blues are looking more at a "retool" with a 2-3 year time frame.

Doubtful, but still, it's fun to speculate.

RAFritchey wrote: There's a rumor (which I think is HIGHLY unlikely) that San Jose may be willing to trade down the #4 overall pick, looking for multiple later picks.

IF this is true (BIG "if." IMHO), should the Blues bite? I don't know if it's worth it to package the #10 and a later 1st, but what about both later 1sts and a 2nd next year?

It COULD make sense, seeing how San Jose looks like they're finally facing a REAL rebuild, looking at a 5+ year time frame while the Blues are looking more at a "retool" with a 2-3 year time frame.

Doubtful, but still, it's fun to speculate.
If we included the 10th pick, I could see them doing it. Seems like a gamble though when #10 could be just as good or better than #4.

Mock 2.0: https://theathletic.com/4566148/2023/06 ... -carlsson/

Notes: Carlsson now back at 3rd pick, Smith 4th. Danielson all the way up to 7 with Philly, 1 spot ahead of Michkov.

I personally would not love coming away from the draft with these three.

10. St. Louis: Tom Willander, D, Rogle Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
I think Willander will go earlier than some think. I have him at 10 to the Blues here but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was gone by this pick. I think the Blues are in a prime position to get a premium center or defense prospect which are so coveted in the draft and they need so desperately in their pipeline be it Willander, Dvorsky or Danielson.

25. St. Louis (via Toronto): Quentin Musty, LW, Sudbury (OHL)
Musty is a bit of a polarizing player due to his so-so footspeed and compete, while also being a big forward with dynamic offensive abilities. I could see him go earlier than this, but he would be a solid fit for the Blues at No. 25 still.

29. St. Louis (via Dallas): Oliver Bonk, D, London (OHL)
People in the league think Bonk could go comfortably in the top 25, and I’ve mocked him there before, but it so works out he’s there at No. 29 for the Blues. He’s a big mobile puck-mover who is a right-shot and would fit into the type of blue line Doug Armstrong likes to build.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:22 pm Mock 2.0: https://theathletic.com/4566148/2023/06 ... -carlsson/

Notes: Carlsson now back at 3rd pick, Smith 4th. Danielson all the way up to 7 with Philly, 1 spot ahead of Michkov.

I think Willander will go earlier than some think. I have him at 10 to the Blues here but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was gone by this pick. I think the Blues are in a prime position to get a premium center or defense prospect which are so coveted in the draft and they need so desperately in their pipeline be it Willander, Dvorsky or Danielson.

Musty is a bit of a polarizing player due to his so-so footspeed and compete, while also being a big forward with dynamic offensive abilities. I could see him go earlier than this, but he would be a solid fit for the Blues at No. 25 still.

People in the league think Bonk could go comfortably in the top 25, and I’ve mocked him there before, but it so works out he’s there at No. 29 for the Blues. He’s a big mobile puck-mover who is a right-shot and would fit into the type of blue line Doug Armstrong likes to build.
Not at all. Can’t believe the Blues would go this route. I’d like that 10th pick to play in the NHL soon.

BillP wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:44 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:22 pm Mock 2.0: https://theathletic.com/4566148/2023/06 ... -carlsson/

Not at all. Can’t believe the Blues would go this route. I’d like that 10th pick to play in the NHL soon.
The problem is, the top 9 as Pronman has it would be worst case scenario for the Blues. The top D-man and all the top forwards going before it gets to them. If Army has to package a later 1st to move up, then he needs to try and do it. You have to walk away from this first round with either Reinbacher or one of the top forwards, i.e Danielson, Michkov.

It's always why meaningless points at the end of the season was so frustrating to watch.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:04 pm

The problem is, the top 9 as Pronman has it would be worst case scenario for the Blues. The top D-man and all the top forwards going before it gets to them. If Army has to package a later 1st to move up, then he needs to try and do it. You have to walk away from this first round with either Reinbacher or one of the top forwards, i.e Danielson, Michkov.

It's always why meaningless points at the end of the season was so frustrating to watch.
That dtove me up the wall. There is a line between putting in the effort every night and playing for meaningless points.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm

That dtove me up the wall. There is a line between putting in the effort every night and playing for meaningless points.
While that is true, they were one number on the last lottery ball away from getting Bedard. It's called a lottery for a reason. To me, all parties in the organization did the right thing. Armstrong knew the team didn't have it, so he traded every UFA of any value. That's where the tank comes from. The players and coaches absolutely can't put in less than 100% effort or they'll be out of a job. With a greater effort, the play improves. When improved play is met by teams taking you for granted and probably giving you their back-up goalie more often than they would otherwise, you get more wins. C'est la vie. You could argue that Armstrong could've asked Berube to use a little less Binnington down the stretch, but there were cost savings reasons why we didn't see more of Greiss, and Hofer was in the middle of a playoff run for Springfield.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:54 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:48 pm

While that is true, they were one number on the last lottery ball away from getting Bedard. It's called a lottery for a reason. To me, all parties in the organization did the right thing. Armstrong knew the team didn't have it, so he traded every UFA of any value. That's where the tank comes from. The players and coaches absolutely can't put in less than 100% effort or they'll be out of a job. With a greater effort, the play improves. When improved play is met by teams taking you for granted and probably giving you their back-up goalie more often than they would otherwise, you get more wins. C'est la vie. You could argue that Armstrong could've asked Berube to use a little less Binnington down the stretch, but there were cost savings reasons why we didn't see more of Greiss, and Hofer was in the middle of a playoff run for Springfield.
It's always good to set that standard when you're already out of playoff contention and definitely not before. :lol:

Go get him Army!! Get up to that 5th pick.

https://theathletic.com/4517341/2023/06 ... kov-skill/

In terms of the best collection of skills and physical traits, without considering production and various risk factors in a player’s projection, here is how I would line up the 2023 NHL Draft class.

1. Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA-Russia
All right I know I have to explain this one as you all sharpen your pitchforks. Michkov may be the best draft eligible I’ve ever seen from inside the offensive blue line, or at least in the mix. His skill plus offensive sense combination is incredible. He sees the game at a different level and is a scoring-chance machine once he gets the puck inside the opponent’s zone. The lack of speed and size are notable hindrances in his pro projection — both are worse than Connor Bedard’s and he doesn’t have Bedard’s motor — but he’s a unique player and has the potential to put up massive amounts of offense as a pro if he hits, which isn’t a sure thing.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 pm Go get him Army!! Get up to that 5th pick.

In terms of the best collection of skills and physical traits, without considering production and various risk factors in a player’s projection, here is how I would line up the 2023 NHL Draft class.

All right I know I have to explain this one as you all sharpen your pitchforks. Michkov may be the best draft eligible I’ve ever seen from inside the offensive blue line, or at least in the mix. His skill plus offensive sense combination is incredible. He sees the game at a different level and is a scoring-chance machine once he gets the puck inside the opponent’s zone. The lack of speed and size are notable hindrances in his pro projection — both are worse than Connor Bedard’s and he doesn’t have Bedard’s motor — but he’s a unique player and has the potential to put up massive amounts of offense as a pro if he hits, which isn’t a sure thing.
He's been on my wishlist right from the get-go. I think Armstrong could make that deal and I don't think it would be overly expensive. Our 10 and another first founder for the Michkov pick and their 2nd rounder.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 pm Go get him Army!! Get up to that 5th pick.

His lack of size would be a plus trying to smuggle him out of Russia in a suitcase. His lack of speed a hindrance if he had to run for the border to Finland or the Baltics.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:15 pm Latest article in the Post Dispatch says Armstrong does not like picking at #10. And they would probably get more out of it picking later.

I still think they would prefer to move up but it is an interesting comment.
He doesn't like picking 10th because it means your team sucked that year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!