Re: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:46 am Newest mock is from Pronman: https://theathletic.com/4506243/2023/05 ... y-pronman/

Notes: He, like Wheeler, has Smith going 3rd overall. Slots Reinbacher 5 to Montreal. Michkov falls to 8 to Washington which would be fitting that in the year the Hawks get their new Kane, the Caps get their new Ovie.

If they go Danielson instead of Willander who was still on the board in this mock then I would be stoked with these three picks.

10. St. Louis Blues: Tom Willander, D, Rogle Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
I have a hard time seeing St. Louis walk away from the No. 10 pick without getting a center or defenseman, something their system desperately needs. Willander’s stock is way up right now and he could be a top-four defenseman in the league for a while.

Analysis: Willander’s skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander’s skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn’t always sold on his offensive touch. I don’t see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

25. St. Louis Blues (via Dallas Stars): Charlie Stramel, C, Wisconsin (BIG TEN)
Stramel had a down season, but I still believe he will go Day 1. He would be a swing pick by St. Louis with their second pick as a big center who, as a junior player, showed snarl and skill but struggled as a college freshman.

30. St. Louis Blues (via Toronto Maple Leafs): Oliver Bonk, D, London (OHL)
When I started this process I figured Bonk would end up somewhere in the top 20, but as I kept going through names he worked his way closer to 30. He’s well thought of in the league but has a “boring” skill set for a first-round pick in that he’s a big, mobile defender who can move pucks but isn’t high-end at anything. Getting him and Willander in the same draft adds massive depth to the Blues’ blue line though.
Two dmen in the first round? That dude is smoking crack. Way too many good offensive players in the first round. I like Stramel…..we’d have to take him in the first since we don’t have a second rounder at this point.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:46 am Newest mock is from Pronman: https://theathletic.com/4506243/2023/05 ... y-pronman/

Notes: He, like Wheeler, has Smith going 3rd overall. Slots Reinbacher 5 to Montreal. Michkov falls to 8 to Washington which would be fitting that in the year the Hawks get their new Kane, the Caps get their new Ovie.

If they go Danielson instead of Willander who was still on the board in this mock then I would be stoked with these three picks.

I have a hard time seeing St. Louis walk away from the No. 10 pick without getting a center or defenseman, something their system desperately needs. Willander’s stock is way up right now and he could be a top-four defenseman in the league for a while.

Analysis: Willander’s skating is his main asset for the NHL; he is one of the best skaters in the draft. He has a quick, powerful skating stride and can push the pace up ice with the puck. Willander’s skating allows him to close on checks well and be a quality defender especially when combined with the fact he has some physicality in his game. I wasn’t always sold on his offensive touch. I don’t see a big-time playmaker as a pro, but Willander has good enough skill and vision to move pucks at higher levels well, especially given the space his feet can generate. He has the making of a good two-way top four defenseman.

Stramel had a down season, but I still believe he will go Day 1. He would be a swing pick by St. Louis with their second pick as a big center who, as a junior player, showed snarl and skill but struggled as a college freshman.

When I started this process I figured Bonk would end up somewhere in the top 20, but as I kept going through names he worked his way closer to 30. He’s well thought of in the league but has a “boring” skill set for a first-round pick in that he’s a big, mobile defender who can move pucks but isn’t high-end at anything. Getting him and Willander in the same draft adds massive depth to the Blues’ blue line though.
Two dmen in the first round? That dude is smoking crack. Way too many good offensive players in the first round. I like Stramel…..we’d have to take him in the first since we don’t have a second rounder at this point.
Agree, that would be looney. Personally, I don't want a D man taken in the 1st round. I want all offense. Goals baby!!

BillP. wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:38 pm
NHLTIM wrote:

Agree, that would be looney. Personally, I don't want a D man taken in the 1st round. I want all offense. Goals baby!!
Edmonton tried that strategy and it failed year after year even with the best player in the world.
Just a Russian propaganda account

NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:22 pm
I am curious who is your top guy for the Blues at 10? Assuming the top 5 players are gone, who will you be sweating doesn't go before they are on the clock?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:47 am
I am curious who is your top guy for the Blues at 10? Assuming the top 5 players are gone, who will you be sweating doesn't go before they are on the clock?
Zach Benson would be my pick if he’s there but I don’t believe he will be, so with that said, my pick at #10 is Nate Danielson. He’s a really good player but isn’t as flashy as the the others that will go before him. He does almost everything well and will be a valuable NHL player in a couple of years.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

It's almost a certainty that we keep our #10 overall pick, but what do people think the chances are that we trade one of the other first rounders down, perhaps for a pair of 2nd rounders? Or would we even consider trading the #10 for a later 1st and a 2nd?
(I'm also not discounting the possibility of including a pick in a deal for a current roster player, but that's a much more complicated issue!)

RAFritchey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:57 pm It's almost a certainty that we keep our #10 overall pick, but what do people think the chances are that we trade one of the other first rounders down, perhaps for a pair of 2nd rounders? Or would we even consider trading the #10 for a later 1st and a 2nd?
(I'm also not discounting the possibility of including a pick in a deal for a current roster player, but that's a much more complicated issue!)
Per the Athletic:
Armstrong reiterated that the Blues have options with those late first-rounders — making the picks or trading one or both for a 26- or 27-year-old established NHL player with contract term — and the results of the draft lottery might have narrowed those options.

“I thought going in that if we had won the lottery, that would’ve changed the way we approach this draft,” he said. “You would have a first-overall pick that would be the centerpiece of your retool or rebuild, but he’s still going to be 18 years old. So we might have been more likely to keep those (late) picks because you have something there that’s 18. We’re not going to build around the 10th pick in this year’s draft. He’s going to be part of whatever we build. So that’s taken one part of the equation out, and now we have to decide what we do with those later picks.

“This isn’t trying to be evasive, but I think it’s one-third, one-third, one-third. It’s one-third we pick them both, one-third we trade one for an NHL player, and one-third we move one (first-round pick) to get two second(-round picks).”

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:42 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:57 pm It's almost a certainty that we keep our #10 overall pick, but what do people think the chances are that we trade one of the other first rounders down, perhaps for a pair of 2nd rounders? Or would we even consider trading the #10 for a later 1st and a 2nd?
Per the Athletic:
Armstrong reiterated that the Blues have options with those late first-rounders — making the picks or trading one or both for a 26- or 27-year-old established NHL player with contract term — and the results of the draft lottery might have narrowed those options.

“I thought going in that if we had won the lottery, that would’ve changed the way we approach this draft,” he said. “You would have a first-overall pick that would be the centerpiece of your retool or rebuild, but he’s still going to be 18 years old. So we might have been more likely to keep those (late) picks because you have something there that’s 18. We’re not going to build around the 10th pick in this year’s draft. He’s going to be part of whatever we build. So that’s taken one part of the equation out, and now we have to decide what we do with those later picks.

“This isn’t trying to be evasive, but I think it’s one-third, one-third, one-third. It’s one-third we pick them both, one-third we trade one for an NHL player, and one-third we move one (first-round pick) to get two second(-round picks).”
Thanks! Sounds like a typical 'Armstrong' response i.e. keeping his options as open as possible.

What do people here think we SHOULD do?

I can't see The Blues passing up a high-quality centre to reach far over the head of a defenceman, just because they need to add high-level defencemen to their prospect pool. They need to take a player who will be most likely to make the most positive impact on their NHL team in the future. There are many more forwards in this draft that are significantly higher-level talents than the very top-rated D-Men in this draft. They'll need a top-notch centre at The NHL level, just as much as a top-level defenceman (which they can't get in this draft, in any case).

RAFritchey wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:41 pm
Per the Athletic:

Thanks! Sounds like a typical 'Armstrong' response i.e. keeping his options as open as possible.

Use one if the later firsts as a sweetener to unload a crap D contract. Best player available with 10 and the other late first.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

RAFritchey wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:41 pm
Per the Athletic:

Stop adding NTC/NMC to ho-hum players....
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

RAFritchey wrote:
Per the Athletic:

I say keep the picks. Now with the added drama of Army to Toronto, you wonder how it effects all this if Army really is aiming to turn over a new leaf. Is he aggressive, passive, does it change his approach draft weekend?

BillP. wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:40 am
RAFritchey wrote:
Per the Athletic:

I say keep the picks. Now with the added drama of Army to Toronto, you wonder how it effects all this if Army really is aiming to turn over a new leaf. Is he aggressive, passive, does it change his approach draft weekend?
I'm sure that even if he left he would do the absolute best job for the team needs of the Blues.

If there is a cheap opportunity to trade up for the Russian, I say we take it. Otherwise keep all the picks.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:54 am If Keller's dad is to be believed, they are done in Arizona.... I think Army would be all over that. With no arena in their immediate future, AZ would probably love to lose salary, and get some picks or cheap players in return.... What would you give?
Certainly the later first round picks would be in play. I would do Bolduc and 1 of them for him. Not moving Snuggy tho.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:54 am If Keller's dad is to be believed, they are done in Arizona.... I think Army would be all over that. With no arena in their immediate future, AZ would probably love to lose salary, and get some picks or cheap players in return.... What would you give?
Things could really blow up in Arizona and I don't blame the players wanting some kind of stability.

Bettman needs to move on this.

BluesSK wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:34 am
Things could really blow up in Arizona and I don't blame the players wanting some kind of stability.

Bettman needs to move on this.
The only thing that will make him move is if the other owners pressure him to. They are losing out on money every year this Coytoes situation drags on.