Re: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:42 pm You boys better warm up to Nate Danielson at #10
I just read up on him in Hockey Writers, sounds like he’s a wild card. Could be a top 10 pick or he could fall into 20-30 range which is what article projects him at and it’s a recent March 14th article.. Be sweet if Blues got him at 24. But now I just looked up a mock draft and it had Arizona picking Nate at number 6. Geez….. So who knows where this guy lands.

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:42 pm You boys better warm up to Nate Danielson at #10
We've talked about him before in another thread, he seems to be a polarizing player among scouts. Some thinking he's a surefire top 10 others thinking he's a late first round. It really comes down to if teams think he will develop an elite offensive game to go along with his current very good 200 foot hard worker game he has.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:29 am
We've talked about him before in another thread, he seems to be a polarizing player among scouts. Some thinking he's a surefire top 10 others thinking he's a late first round. It really comes down to if teams think he will develop an elite offensive game to go along with his current very good 200 foot hard worker game he has.
He was compared to Janni Gourde. If that’s who he is, I’ll take him at 29, not 10.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:42 pm
What are the odds he'll still be available at 10?
From my expectations and what I've seen it'll go Bedard and Fantilli 1-2. After that you have Michkov but hard to predict where he actually goes with the already discussed contract issues. Then Will Smith, Leo Carlsson, and Zach Benson will probably be gone. Once you reach about pick 7-8 theres about 10 guys that could go who wouldn't be a surprise so it's really hard to say Danielson's odds. He could go 8th, he could go 18th.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:30 am
From my expectations and what I've seen it'll go Bedard and Fantilli 1-2. After that you have Michkov but hard to predict where he actually goes with the already discussed contract issues. Then Will Smith, Leo Carlsson, and Zach Benson will probably be gone. Once you reach about pick 7-8 theres about 10 guys that could go who wouldn't be a surprise so it's really hard to say Danielson's odds. He could go 8th, he could go 18th.
I had heard that Carlsson was the guy likely to go 3 given Michkov's contract situation, so it's interesting to see those other two put on his level (though as I re-read that might not have been what you were saying, haha). I just can't get over the Michkov thing, that's going to be so fascinating. Heard that Fantilli hasn't completely closed the door on a return to Michigan, which would be quite the surprise. I have to imagine pretty much every team that could wind up with him would want to get him in the lineup right away.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:49 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:30 am

I had heard that Carlsson was the guy likely to go 3 given Michkov's contract situation, so it's interesting to see those other two put on his level (though as I re-read that might not have been what you were saying, haha). I just can't get over the Michkov thing, that's going to be so fascinating. Heard that Fantilli hasn't completely closed the door on a return to Michigan, which would be quite the surprise. I have to imagine pretty much every team that could wind up with him would want to get him in the lineup right away.
Yeah, sorry if it was written confusingly. I wasn't putting them in tiers, just listing the guys that I think will definitely be off the board when the Blues pick. Carlsson is widely regarded as the 4th best player in the draft and the likely #3 pick. Talent wise and Tier wise I do think there's a clear top 4 and it gets a bit murkier after that.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: More and more I think about this, I believe the Blues are going to come away with Reinbacher. Based simply off team need and 10 is about where his value.
No, not another defenseman.

Give me the best fuckn forward that's still out there please!!!!!!!

Just my humble opinion 8-)

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:05 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: More and more I think about this, I believe the Blues are going to come away with Reinbacher. Based simply off team need and 10 is about where his value.

I am not in disagreement with you. But I just think it makes too much sense. Blues have forwards in the pipeline too, they don't have much in the way of Blueline help on the way. Value and need seem to line up that I can see it happening.

Of course, they could just win the lottery and this conversation is moot.

Curious as to why you have this opinion. If the best player available at 11 were a tie between a forward and a D, you'd rather take the forward? I'd definitely take the D in that scenario right now. There's not much in the pipeline and the current roster definitely needs help on D. A guy picked at 11 should be on the roster relatively quickly.

I'd take BPA, but if a tie D makes much more sense to me. I'd rather have the scouts break the damn tie though.

Dave's a mess wrote:

Curious as to why you have this opinion. If the best player available at 11 were a tie between a forward and a D, you'd rather take the forward? I'd definitely take the D in that scenario right now. There's not much in the pipeline and the current roster definitely needs help on D. A guy picked at 11 should be on the roster relatively quickly.

I'd take BPA, but if a tie D makes much more sense to me. I'd rather have the scouts break the damn tie though.
Swing for the fences baby!!! I want the home run pick. You get more bang for your buck if you hit jackpot on a star forward. Goals. I want goals!!
Defenseman, primary goal, get the puck out of your zone. No thanks. I mean I'm not against the drafting of defensemen, but I think we need to establish a plenitude of elite forwards first and foremost right now.

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:31 pm
Dave's a mess wrote:

Swing for the fences baby!!! I want the home run pick. You get more bang for your buck if you hit jackpot on a star forward. Goals. I want goals!!
Defenseman, primary goal, get the puck out of your zone. No thanks. I mean I'm not against the drafting of defensemen, but I think we need to establish a plenitude of elite forwards first and foremost right now.
I don't know man, I can't think of a better example of the value of good defensemen than the 2022-23 St. Louis Blues.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote:

I don't know man, I can't think of a better example of the value of good defensemen than the 2022-23 St. Louis Blues.
An elite caliber defensive Dman is a rare thing now.

If that is what is available he would fill a vital immediate need for us.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:16 pm

And would be taken 2-4 spots ahead of us :/
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:46 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:16 pm

And would be taken 2-4 spots ahead of us :/
Very likely.

Whatever they do with the top pick, my real curiosity is what happens with the other two first rounders they have. Armstrong has pretty much guaranteed they make their own pick, but has been very non-committal about the Leafs/Rangers(or Dallas) picks. I'd kind of be surprised if they made all 3 of them, but it'll be interesting to see how he uses one or both of those in trades. Will he add a player, use it to shed a contract or maybe both?

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:16 am Whatever they do with the top pick, my real curiosity is what happens with the other two first rounders they have. Armstrong has pretty much guaranteed they make their own pick, but has been very non-committal about the Leafs/Rangers(or Dallas) picks. I'd kind of be surprised if they made all 3 of them, but it'll be interesting to see how he uses one or both of those in trades. Will he add a player, use it to shed a contract or maybe both?
I think every player and every pick except the first one is on the table. They are no untouchables. Nothing like that.

Pronman released updated rankings this morning.

Top 10:

1. Bedard
2. Fantilli
3. Michkov
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Danielson
7. Reinbacher
8. Dvorsky
9. But
10. Simashev

He has two defensemen in the top 10 now.

Two players to watch for the Blues, imo:

6. Nate Danielson, C, Brandon (WHL)

Sep. 27, 2004 | 6′ 1.5″ | 185 pounds | Shoots right

March 2023 Ranking: 5

Analysis: Danielson is a well-rounded center who has a lot of NHL traits. He’s a big body who skates and competes well, which when combined with his offensive touch, allows him to be effective in a lot of situations. He has an excellent stick, and is able to beat defenders with skill at NHL speeds often. He makes a lot of plays with pace but also shows the vision and shot threat to run a power play off the edge. Danielson is a competitive two-way center who wins a good share of puck battles and can kill penalties. He looks like a potential high-in-the-lineup all-situations center in the NHL

7. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SWISS)

Oct. 25, 2004 | 6′ 2.0″ | 185 pounds | Shoots right

Analysis: Reinbacher is an excellent all-around defenseman. His mobility stands out immediately, especially as a 6-foot-2 right-shot defender. Reinbacher’s gap control is quite strong; he kills a lot of plays due to his feet. He can close on guys with his body too, and shows a high compete level to win back pucks. He’s very polished defensively for such a young player, and projects to shut down good NHL forwards. He’s able to both skate and pass pucks up ice. He’s got good offensive touch, showing solid hands and better vision. He’s not dynamic with the puck but showed this season at a young age he could make plays and move the puck like a pro. His sense is very good and he projects to be a power-play guy in the NHL. Reinbacher is a potential top-pair, all-situations NHL defenseman.

Sounds like a Craig Janney type.

“I like to control the game with my smarts. I’m not going to be buzzing around, but I will use my body a little bit. I’m not a very physical guy. I try to take the game to another level at other people,” Shaugabay recited. “If it’s in the corner, I won’t try and run through the guy. I might sit there, and wait for him to turn and take the puck from him. Something like that. I played skilled and smart.”