Re: 2023 NHL Draft Thread

The more and more I look into this Swedish defensemen Willander the more and more I'm liking him. Nearly 6'2 and can skate is a great start for any D-man. He's been getting some Ryan McDonough comparison's which would be a much welcome addition.

This first round is just so rich and deep with talent, it's a great year to have multiple bites of the apple.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Robb_K wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:32 am Several mockers have The Blues picking Reinbacher at #10. I would rather see them take the BPA, which would, in my estimation, be a centre. They could still get a talented defenceman with one of their picks in the 20s, who wouldn't be overvalued at 10. This draft is so deep with good, solid prospects that I'd like to see them keep all 3 1st Rounders and take 3 high-level prospects, rather than trading one to move up to a higher pick, or one to obtain a veteran defenceman, whose best prime years could well be over before the team's next true Stanley Cup contention window opens.
He may be the BPA at #10.

Would the Blues take him?

BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:02 pm Better be a damn good defenseman if we use our 10th pick on him. And I mean damn good.
2022 - 10th overall pick D Pavel Mintyukov - Anaheim
2021 - 10th overall pick R Ottawa Tyler Boucher
2020 - C Winnipeg Cole Perfetti
2019 - R Vancouver Vasili Podkolzin
2018 - D Edmonton Evan Bouchard
2017 - R Florida Owen Tippett
2016 - C Colorado Tyson Jost
2015 - R Colorado Mikko Rantanen
2014 - L Anaheim Nick Ritchie
2013 - R Dallas Valeri Nichushkin
2012 - D Tampa Bay Slater Koekkoek

The last 10 years hasn't been kind to #10 D-men
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:39 pm
BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:02 pm Better be a damn good defenseman if we use our 10th pick on him. And I mean damn good.

Well Mintyukov looks like a GEM and is rated as the Ducks #1 prospect for a team that has a very good prospect pool but we'll see how he pans out. Bouchard was very good for Edmonton. No clue who Koekkoek is but looks like a fake name to me.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:54 pm

Well Mintyukov looks like a GEM and is rated as the Ducks #1 prospect for a team that has a very good prospect pool but we'll see how he pans out. Bouchard was very good for Edmonton. No clue who Koekkoek is but looks like a fake name to me.
It's a Dutch surname. It means "Cuckoo" , as in cuckoo bird, after the sound of the call that bird makes. It's a real name, although a rare one. I've come across maybe 15 or a few more people who had that name in my 77 years. It may be that it was first given to insane or eccentric people before people had official, legal surnames. Is he a Canadian? I remember a few Canadians of dutch ancestry, who had that last name.

Robb_K wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:14 am

It's a Dutch surname. It means "Cuckoo" , as in cuckoo bird, after the sound of the call that bird makes. It's a real name, although a rare one. I've come across maybe 15 or a few more people who had that name in my 77 years. It may be that it was first given to insane or eccentric people before people had official, legal surnames. Is he a Canadian? I remember a few Canadians of dutch ancestry, who had that last name.
Apparently he's from eastern Ontario.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:05 am
Robb_K wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:14 am

Apparently he's from eastern Ontario.
Well, they're all cuckoo there or koekkoek for our Dutch listeners.

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:26 am If we draft a dman at 10, I will absolutely freaking lose it
I truly think they are coming away with Danielson or Moore. Moore is an elite of elite skater, maybe the best in the draft. Him and Kyrou together, wow. Danielson more the 200 foot grinder with offense game.

However if they don't take a center, I am really loving Ryan Leonard, if he somehow makes it to 10. All kinds of Matthew Tkachuk comps on him. Sleeper would be Matthew Wood.

Michkov isn't get beyond the Flyers so my true dreams are crushed there.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:26 am If we draft a dman at 10, I will absolutely freaking lose it
I truly think they are coming away with Danielson or Moore. Moore is an elite of elite skater, maybe the best in the draft. Him and Kyrou together, wow. Danielson more the 200 foot grinder with offense game.

However if they don't take a center, I am really loving Ryan Leonard, if he somehow makes it to 10. All kinds of Matthew Tkachuk comps on him. Sleeper would be Matthew Wood.

I think something real good is going to drop to us. Blues will have a tough decision to make IMO. Will be interesting.

Kevin Weeks mock draft for the first 10 picks. Names all over the place. Danielson isn't even on his list for the complete 1st round. So all this chatter about wanting Danielson at 10...............well, I don't know............

1. Chicago Blackhawks: Connor Bedard, C, Regina (WHL)
DOB: 07/17/05 | Ht: 5-9.75 | Wt: 185 | Shot: R
GP: 57 | G: 71 | A: 72 | P: 143

You saw the gold the Blackhawks struck in the mid-2000s. If Bedard can be even 70% or 80% of what Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane was, it'd be great for Chicago. You think of his ability to play in all situations and the fact that he's expected to be the guy. He's also a fellow hockey nerd, and I like to see hockey nerds excel. There is something to be said for people who eat, breathe and sleep the game. He's not one of those kids who became an outstanding prospect and that's it.

2. Anaheim Ducks: Adam Fantilli, C, Michigan (Big Ten)
DOB: 10/12/04 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 195 | Shot: L
GP: 36 | G: 30 | A: 35 | P: 65

Former Wisconsin coach Tony Granato told me the other day that for Fantilli to be a true freshman and do what he did in college hockey on what he called an "NHL lite" roster, that's saying something. They had a strong group, and to come in and run the way he did, winning the Hobey Baker Award, was impressive. Granato also noted that when the game was on the line, Fantilli wanted the puck. The Ducks are starting to assemble some good young options with Trevor Zegras, Mason McTavish and Jamie Drysdale. Fantilli brings a different dimension: a big body and a powerful game.

3. Columbus Blue Jackets: Leo Carlsson, C, Orebro (SHL)
DOB: 12/26/04 | Ht: 6-3 | Wt: 198 | Shot: L
GP: 44 | G: 10 | A: 15 | P: 25

I might have gone with Matvei Michkov here, but there's now an urgency in Columbus with the trades they have made to get Ivan Provorov and Damon Severson. That follows them getting Johnny Gaudreau last offseason. Because of all that, I'd go with Carlsson. He's got size, he's long and rangy, and he's been playing against men. I think center is the more responsible play for them with where they are right now, and they won't have to wait (as teams will with Michkov).

4. San Jose Sharks: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)
DOB: 12/09/04 | Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 172 | Shot: L
GP: 30 | G: 9 | A: 11 | P: 20

San Jose's window to challenge for a playoff spot is not as close as Columbus' or Montreal's. The Sharks are still disassembling in order to rebuild. When you draft a player like Michkov, you want to get him in your fold but are going to have time to make that happen. My understanding is that he intends to honor his three-year deal in Russia. The Sharks are a team that can be patient and get an elite talent after that deal is up.

5. Montreal Canadiens: Colby Barlow, LW, Owen Sound (OHL)
DOB: 02/14/05 | Ht: 6-0.25 | Wt: 190 | Shot: L
GP: 59 | G: 46 | A: 33 | P: 79

I'll go off board here. Barlow can score, and he uses his size well. Aside from having Josh Anderson, the Canadiens seldom seem to have enough size in the lineup. They have a lot of young players on the back end with that size, but smaller players up front. It's tough to pass up a big power forward sort of player like Barlow. He can score, has some good wheels and gets involved on the forecheck too.

6. Arizona Coyotes: Will Smith, C, USA U18 (NTDP)
DOB: 03/17/05 | Ht: 5-11.75 | Wt: 181 | Shot: R
GP: 52 | G: 42 | A: 62 | P: 104

He's a super talented player. Very skilled, and I loved him at the U18s. He's part of that group of kids who are going to Boston College. He thinks the game exceptionally well and can see it well too. You do wonder with the Coyotes: Will they trade Clayton Keller? Will St. Louis make a play for him to bring him home? The Blues have three first-round picks in this draft. That's some pretty good capital. Just thinking out loud here: If the Coyotes can draft a guy like Smith, are they more willing to part with Keller?

7. Philadelphia Flyers: David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (NL)
DOB: 10/25/04 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 185 | Shot: R
GP: 46 | G: 3 | A: 19 | P: 22

He's mobile, is a very good skater, can close gaps and can skate well when he has the puck. He also relishes those one-on-one matchups. A lot of people have said to me that if you like Moritz Seider, this guy gives you a lot of the Seider flavor. He brings a lot of similar intangibles to the table in addition to skill. That's a big compliment. That's why I think if you are Philly, now that you have moved on from Provorov, Reinbacher gives you a chance to get that No. 1 or No. 2 defenseman right back.

8. Washington Capitals: Ryan Leonard, RW, USA U18 (NTDP)
DOB: 01/21/05 | Ht: 5-11.5 | Wt: 192 | Shot: R
GP: 49 | G: 42 | A: 34 | P: 76

Another Boston College commit. We don't know what the center position is going to look like in Washington for the future. But I'd give Leonard a try at center. He's a play-driving winger, and if you consider guys like Nikita Kucherov, Artemi Panarin or Kane, they're wingers who can drive plays like a center. They're not just going up and down the wing firing shots. I also like his motor and creativity.

9. Detroit Red Wings: Matthew Wood, RW, UConn (Hockey East)
DOB: 02/06/05 | Ht: 6-3.5 | Wt: 193 | Shot: R
GP: 35 | G: 11 | A: 23 | P: 34

I was close to going with Axel Sandin Pellikka. But the Wings have Seider and Simon Edvinsson, so, it'd be a bit of redundancy. Instead, I'll go with Wood. He has a big body, he can move and skate, and he's got skill. When I think of their young forwards, and in their prospect pool, he adds a different dimension to them as a bigger-bodied player. GM Steve Yzerman has never been in a rush, and that will be better for Wood's development. He gives them a different look than what they already have with guys like Lucas Raymond.

10. St. Louis Blues: Gabe Perreault, RW, USA U18 (NTDP)
DOB: 05/07/05 | Ht: 5-10.75 | Wt: 165 | Shot: L
GP: 55 | G: 46 | A: 64 | P: 110

Again: Will St. Louis keep this pick? We at least have to ask this question. It's a top-10 pick, but will they keep it, trade up or move it for a veteran? I'm not necessarily sure. But it brings a little intrigue, right? If they stay here, they'll probably select Perreault. Very heady player. Very skilled player. He's one of those guys who can play in all situations, and he's another player headed to Boston College. For the Blues, I don't think he has to be a four-year project. I don't think he cooks for all four years at BC. If you look at the history of the national team development program, Perreault had one of the best years you could have there. He can play everywhere. There's a lot to like.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:58 am

Leonard won’t be there at 10. Briere wants to trade up badly for a shot at Michkov. I’m guessing they will like stay at 7 and with Michkov gone by then , they will take Ryan Leonard
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:25 pm

Leonard won’t be there at 10. Briere wants to trade up badly for a shot at Michkov. I’m guessing they will like stay at 7 and with Michkov gone by then , they will take Ryan Leonard
It seems like Montreal REALLY wants someone else to take Michkov so they don't have a decision to make. Sounds like SJ is considering it. I'd think Briere might be able to trade up if that's the case, but I wonder if he'll really have to. Washington has been rumored to be interested as well, so I wonder if there's a bit of a bidding war to move up a couples slots.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

You're probably right but after the first 5, I feel like theres a lot of different opinions on the next 20 or so guys. I think there could be 1 or 2 surprises in the top 10. These prospects seem so closely ranked.

Another Mock:

This one has the Blues taking Moore over Danielson at 10, both of whom were available. He said the debate would be between those two if the rest of the board played out the way it did, but could see it going either way. Gave Moore the nod because the Blues have had an affinity for drafting speed and Minnesota players lately.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:32 pm

It seems like Montreal REALLY wants someone else to take Michkov so they don't have a decision to make. Sounds like SJ is considering it. I'd think Briere might be able to trade up if that's the case, but I wonder if he'll really have to. Washington has been rumored to be interested as well, so I wonder if there's a bit of a bidding war to move up a couples slots.
If San Jose doesn't take Michkov at four then I think the Blues should go hard with Montreal on a deal for Michkov at #5

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:42 pm *Disclaimer: This is a wildass unrealistic question spurred by the return WPG got for Dubois.

Would you trade Thomas and #25 to Anaheim for #2? What about Thomas 25 and 29? What about Thomas and 10? What about all 3, but no Thomas?
Insert Kyrou for Thomas and I would listen to all offers.