Re: Vlad traded to Rangers

Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:07 pm
Matangama wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 pm Let’s be honest, he probably would only agree to go to a very small number of teams (and maybe just the Rangers) as Dread mentioned. In addition, he has 10 friggin’ goals this year and has looked disinterested for much of the season. He is also31 and has an injury history. So you can’t compare the return to Horvat…..27 and on a pace for 50 goals? We got another 1st rounder, and when it’s all over with, will probably add a third one (OReilly) and potentially a fourth one (Barbashev). Vladdy was leaving this summer, so time to move on. If we have three or four 1st rounders, we can speed up any rebuild pretty significantly.
Barbashev won't bring a 1st Round choice. We'd be lucky to get a 2nd for him.
Lucky to get a 2nd? I think that’s crazy, Robb (no offense). He is going to be a good get for someone at the deadline. I mean, I’d be thrilled with a 1st, but a 2nd and a prospect is probably reasonable.

I hate this trade and I hate seeing Vladdy go. Armstrong had the better part of two seasons to trade him, he's just coming off a career year and we get a late first, fucking Sammy Blais and some throw-ins.

See you Vladdy, you're one of my all time favorite Blues.

And, we have to find another D-man after all of this!
L3XRfjG.jpg L3XRfjG.jpg Viewed 2410 times 37.5 KiB

Matangama wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:42 pm
Matangama wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:36 pm Let’s be honest, he probably would only agree to go to a very small number of teams (and maybe just the Rangers) as Dread mentioned. In addition, he has 10 friggin’ goals this year and has looked disinterested for much of the season. He is also31 and has an injury history. So you can’t compare the return to Horvat…..27 and on a pace for 50 goals? We got another 1st rounder, and when it’s all over with, will probably add a third one (OReilly) and potentially a fourth one (Barbashev). Vladdy was leaving this summer, so time to move on. If we have three or four 1st rounders, we can speed up any rebuild pretty significantly.
Lucky to get a 2nd? I think that’s crazy, Robb (no offense). He is going to be a good get for someone at the deadline. I mean, I’d be thrilled with a 1st, but a 2nd and a prospect is probably reasonable.
IMHO, Barbashev is a useful, versatile, middle-6 forward, but not someone that a team gives up a 1st round pick for as a deadline rental. He had a career year last year, but at 27, he's probably around a 35-40 point guy going forward. For a playoff run, a late 2nd rounder is probably the best to expect.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:14 pm
BillP wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:04 pm Per ESPN article, Rangers gave up more last year to acquire Andrew Copp than they did for Vladi. YIKES!
It was an awful trade that Armstrong was rushed into. We can sugar coat it all we like but this was a bitter pill to swallow.
Hard to compare the Copp deal. Would you rather have 2 2nd rounders and deeper prospects, or a 1st rounder in a deep draft? Also, Copp didn't have a NMC.
IMHO, we got about what I was expecting. I'd hope for a late 1st for ROR as well, and not much more.

RAFritchey wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:53 pm
BillP wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:04 pm Per ESPN article, Rangers gave up more last year to acquire Andrew Copp than they did for Vladi. YIKES!
It was an awful trade that Armstrong was rushed into. We can sugar coat it all we like but this was a bitter pill to swallow.
Hard to compare the Copp deal. Would you rather have 2 2nd rounders and deeper prospects, or a 1st rounder in a deep draft? Also, Copp didn't have a NMC.
IMHO, we got about what I was expecting. I'd hope for a late 1st for ROR as well, and not much more.
I get that, but Armstrong had almost two seasons to get this done. That is my issue.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:20 pm

I get that, but Armstrong had almost two seasons to get this done. That is my issue.
Vova had to prove himself healthy enough to warrant a new contract … he’s kinda there… I’d give him a “reasonable” deal in the off season, but NY will probably hang onto him… and that’s fine too. He helped the Blues win their first cup ever, and I still want his 91 hanging in the rafters when he hangs it up. He was an awesome Blue, I don’t give a shit what anyone says.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:20 pm

We certainly could have gotten more, and not had to include Mikkola, last Summer, but we were coming off some strong all-around scoring throughout the lineup (9 x 20+ goal scorers!), were hoping Binnington would iron out his consistency issues, and had higher hopes for our team defense as well. IMHO, It was a good gamble to keep him until now, when we're all but eliminated from the playoffs. Even facing a first or second round elimination and Tarasenko walking in the off-season, the extra income from playoff games would probably have been worth keeping him.

I think it's reasonable to wonder if Armstrong could have gotten more for Tarasenko during the summer, but remember that many during that same summer thought that this team was a freak goalie injury away from knocking off the eventual Stanley Cup champs in the second round. I ALSO think that people are underrating the impact of Tarasenko's full no trade clause. He wasn't going to waive that for more than a handful of teams, and of that handful I'm sure only a very small number were willing to give up much for a rental. I 100% believe this was the best deal he could get right now. I think he should've traded him in the summer, but I understand why he didn't. Oh well.

For all the goals he scored in a Blue note, this is how I'll remember Tarasenko. Making a hustle play, checking his surroundings, and making a PERFECT pass through the era's best defensive defenseman for a backbreaking goal in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final:

...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Yes. A second and a mid-tier prospect is reasonable. But there is no way he would bring a 1st Rounder. But it might be more likely to bring back a 2nd and an unneeded roster player to help even out the salaries.

Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:37 pm

Yes. A second and a mid-tier prospect is reasonable. But there is no way he would bring a 1st Rounder. But it might be more likely to bring back a 2nd and an unneeded roster player to help even out the salaries.
Leddy fetched a 2nd last year so you never know
Just a Russian propaganda account

Tarasenko's first goal came so long ago the following things were all true:
-Ian Cole was a hot young prospect
-The Red Wings were a scary ass division rival
-Ken Hitchcock was starting his first full (though lockout shortened) season behind the bench.

...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Robb_K wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:07 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:15 pm Barbs brings a first… more if he agrees to stay with who trades for him.
I hope you're right. But I'll believe it when I see it.
He’s a Center who can play anywhere you want to play him… tough as nails… you’d have to be crazy not to want him for a cup run. Perfect guy for a team who wants grit who can actually score. I hope the Blues can keep him, but I think he’s a much more valuable commodity than some Blues fans give him credit for.

i'm bummed because all day yesterday i was thinking Skinner was one of those guys involved in the melees with Calgary the other day, only to find out that's not the case this morning. yikes. what a weird nothingburger. if we don't get that first rounder, this was absolute shit. maybe they retain some salary? i mean at least we got rid of mikkola. if vladdy wasn't going to stay here, which he made clear he wasn't, better to get something than let him walk for nothing, but damn. not army's best deal.

T.C. wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:59 am i'm bummed because all day yesterday i was thinking Skinner was one of those guys involved in the melees with Calgary the other day, only to find out that's not the case this morning. yikes. what a weird nothingburger. if we don't get that first rounder, this was absolute shit. maybe they retain some salary? i mean at least we got rid of mikkola. if vladdy wasn't going to stay here, which he made clear he wasn't, better to get something than let him walk for nothing, but damn. not army's best deal.
21 year old that is struggling to stick in the AHL and has spent more time in the ECHL this year. Unsure how the Blues landed on him as a name in this trade and no disrespect to him but I'm sure this will be the last time we hear his name. Hunter Skinner is a bad ass name though.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:02 am
T.C. wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:59 ami'm bummed because all day yesterday i was thinking Skinner was one of those guys involved in the melees with Calgary the other day, only to find out that's not the case this morning. yikes. what a weird nothingburger. if we don't get that first rounder, this was absolute shit. maybe they retain some salary? i mean at least we got rid of mikkola. if vladdy wasn't going to stay here, which he made clear he wasn't, better to get something than let him walk for nothing, but damn. not army's best deal.
21 year old that is struggling to stick in the AHL and has spent more time in the ECHL this year. Unsure how the Blues landed on him as a name in this trade and no disrespect to him but I'm sure this will be the last time we hear his name. Hunter Skinner is a bad ass name though.
There is value to an NHL team with an affiliate (in this case, the Springfield Thunderbirds) in bolstering their minor pro talent pool. Bodies count more in the ECHL and the AHL than they do at the NHL level. With grunts on the roster or farmed out to ECHL rosters, Springfield can continue to afford sending up guys with potential NHL talent when the Blues come down with a string of "lower body injuries" from their D-man fondling themselves during a 3-on-1 in their own zone.

T.C. wrote: i'm bummed because all day yesterday i was thinking Skinner was one of those guys involved in the melees with Calgary the other day, only to find out that's not the case this morning. yikes. what a weird nothingburger. if we don't get that first rounder, this was absolute shit. maybe they retain some salary? i mean at least we got rid of mikkola. if vladdy wasn't going to stay here, which he made clear he wasn't, better to get something than let him walk for nothing, but damn. not army's best deal.
After ripping off the Rangers for Buchnevich, it does feel like the Rangers returned the favor to Army. They got a decent D throw in with Mikkola, and they gave us a shitty prospect in return with a mid-round pick and said, oh by the way, take your shit back (Blais), we don't want it.