Re: GDT: Blues vs Blackhawks - 1/21 7:00

Ozzies09tc wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:35 pm We lost to chicago also pronounced as shit taco.

We are NOT making the playoffs...we suck
Shit Taco…….good one!

No, that playoff field is so crowded, I don’t see how. This was the stretch to get a winning streak built up and they shitted it away. I just hope Army goes all out to get us a couple firsts at the deadline. We could use 3 first rd picks.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:00 pm I don't know what Armstrong is waiting for.

This is a mediocre team at best.

We are gonna hate this trade deadline.
That’s possible. Too bad Florida wasn’t having that big year this year. I doubt there’s a team out there this year going all in. Though the Bruins are tearing it up this year and it seems their GM is always aggressive. If they got the assets, I can see them making a big acquisition to seal the deal.

BillP wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:43 am
BluesSK wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:00 pm I don't know what Armstrong is waiting for.

That’s possible. Too bad Florida wasn’t having that big year this year. I doubt there’s a team out there this year going all in. Though the Bruins are tearing it up this year and it seems their GM is always aggressive. If they got the assets, I can see them making a big acquisition to seal the deal.
My worry is that there really aren't many "all in" type teams who will overpay for assets. There's a good chance we are gonna be left high and dry after the deadline. Hopefully, Boston and Carolina and maybe Toronto are big spenders because every other team is really not a lock to contend.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:18 am

My worry is that there really aren't many "all in" type teams who will overpay for assets. There's a good chance we are gonna be left high and dry after the deadline. Hopefully, Boston and Carolina and maybe Toronto are big spenders because every other team is really not a lock to contend.
The other side of the coin is that frequently bubble teams will overpay just to make the playoffs. I think there are lots of teams in the West that will look at the lack of dominant teams and say, screw it, why not us this year.

The deadline might not fetch us 4 first round picks or anything, but I imagine there will be enough buyers to gather up a fair amount of assets.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:25 am
BluesSK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:18 am

The other side of the coin is that frequently bubble teams will overpay just to make the playoffs. I think there are lots of teams in the West that will look at the lack of dominant teams and say, screw it, why not us this year.

The deadline might not fetch us 4 first round picks or anything, but I imagine there will be enough buyers to gather up a fair amount of assets.
I hope you're right.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 am I think part of this could come down to business. How bad does Stillman need playoff revenue? He may tell Army to go for the playoffs.
I don't know how the math checks out, but I don't see how Stillman can expect more than 2-3 games worth of playoff revenue. To reasonably expect get there you'd have to A. Hold onto ROR and probably Tarasenko and B. Add NHL pieces. What does the cost of that added and maintained payroll vs. the playoff revenue? Given history I'm assuming Stillman isn't going to meddle in this one.

It adds up quick. I google'd how much teams make per game and came across this article. https://theathletic.com/1672688/2020/03 ... home-game/

Depending on the size of the market and the structure of the revenue streams (i.e. do they get all of the money from parking, concessions, etc.) teams generate between $1.5 million and $3 million per home date.

That number can rise exponentially during the playoffs when ticket prices and other attendant expenses rise.

I mean, if you're telling me it'll cost Stillman 10 million to miss the playoffs, thats a big amount of coin.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 am It adds up quick. I google'd how much teams make per game and came across this article. https://theathletic.com/1672688/2020/03 ... home-game/

Depending on the size of the market and the structure of the revenue streams (i.e. do they get all of the money from parking, concessions, etc.) teams generate between $1.5 million and $3 million per home date.

That number can rise exponentially during the playoffs when ticket prices and other attendant expenses rise.

I mean, if you're telling me it'll cost Stillman 10 million to miss the playoffs, thats a big amount of coin.
Suppose it's $9 million since that takes the highest end per game estimate and assumes they make it 6 games into the first round. Then you take away about 40% of Tarasenko and ROR's remaining salaries (not cap hit), and you get around $2.6 million ($4.4 if you include Barbashev and Mikkola). Then assume you have to add payroll if you really want to make a push. That's a tough estimate to pull, but let's say it's $1M just to pick a round number...that leaves you with a high end estimate of $6.4 million.

So does Stillman think this group (or a similar one slightly augmented) is good enough to make the playoffs and earn around $6.4M, or does he think it isn't quite good enough and he'd rather save himself around $2.6 million on the low end and be better positioned for future seasons?

My numbers are obviously filled with wildass guesses and inaccuracies, but unless they go on a run for the next couple of weeks I think all or most of the UFAs are out of here.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:05 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 am It adds up quick. I google'd how much teams make per game and came across this article. https://theathletic.com/1672688/2020/03 ... home-game/

Suppose it's $9 million since that takes the highest end per game estimate and assumes they make it 6 games into the first round. Then you take away about 40% of Tarasenko and ROR's remaining salaries (not cap hit), and you get around $2.6 million ($4.4 if you include Barbashev and Mikkola). Then assume you have to add payroll if you really want to make a push. That's a tough estimate to pull, but let's say it's $1M just to pick a round number...that leaves you with a high end estimate of $6.4 million.

So does Stillman think this group (or a similar one slightly augmented) is good enough to make the playoffs and earn around $6.4M, or does he think it isn't quite good enough and he'd rather save himself around $2.6 million on the low end and be better positioned for future seasons?

My numbers are obviously filled with wildass guesses and inaccuracies, but unless they go on a run for the next couple of weeks I think all or most of the UFAs are out of here.
I have no idea what Stillman thinks or what his finances are, but a team that runs on tight margins already missing the playoffs isn't good for the bottom line and makes me wonder if that will at all play a role in how they proceed both at the deadline and off-season spending.

By the way, 9 million would be on the high end for regular season games according to what I posted. I said 10 mil as a floor, not a ceiling.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:10 am

I have no idea what Stillman thinks or what his finances are, but a team that runs on tight margins already missing the playoffs isn't good for the bottom line and makes me wonder if that will at all play a role in how they proceed both at the deadline and off-season spending.

By the way, 9 million would be on the high end for regular season games according to what I posted. I said 10 mil as a floor, not a ceiling.
You can't expect me to read every sentence in a relatively short post. I won't do it, you can't make me!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:15 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:10 am

You can't expect me to read every sentence in a relatively short post. I won't do it, you can't make me!
ADD has claimed another victim :lol: