Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:51 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:19 am So we're one game past the halfway point in the season. Based on points %, the Blues find themselves 6th in the division and tied for 10th in the conference. Streaky as all hell, but still technically in the hunt.
Bright spots include:
- Thomas/Kyrou/Buchenevich each averaging about a point per game.
-Acciari has provided exactly what was asked of him.
-A lot of the kids are getting playing time.
Not brightspots:
-LOL the defense
-Goaltending not great
-The kids haven't done much with said playing time.

I root for them to win every game but have removed any expectations when I turn on the TV, I just have no idea what I'm about to see. I feel like they'll be outside of the playoff picture looking in at the deadline and will sell, but they certainly are banking the points right now.

In conclusion, I have no idea about this team still. LGB.
What has really bothered me has been the lack of foresight for next season. I think it has been in the back of a lot of these veteran's minds and maybe that's why their play had been so erratic.

There will be a lot of anger if Tarasenko walks for nothing after having a banner year last season.
Even if the Blues are in a playoff spot, I'd be shocked if Tarasenko isn't traded around the deadline. Army will hold onto UFAs if he thinks he can sign them, but is happy to flip them if he doesn't think he can. In this case there's no guesswork.
He absolutely has to move him, I think it may just change what they are looking for in return for him.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Perunovich and Scandella were practicing today. Lots of question marks with those two, but adding a couple NHL level defensemen might improve the outlook for this team a little bit. No idea if they're actually that close to returning, but if they get some games under their belt before the trade deadline...
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Looking at goalie stats yesterday, guess who has the most goals allowed with 101, if you guessed Binnington you'd be right. Not all on hom but damn sure could use some defense in front of him.

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:39 pm Looking at goalie stats yesterday, guess who has the most goals allowed with 101, if you guessed Binnington you'd be right. Not all on hom but damn sure could use some defense in front of him.
Agree with this. But also he has the most games played among goalies

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:39 pm Looking at goalie stats yesterday, guess who has the most goals allowed with 101, if you guessed Binnington you'd be right. Not all on hom but damn sure could use some defense in front of him.
So the regular stats and fancy stats haven't been particularly kind to Binnington this year, but to me he doesn't really seem to be letting in softies left and right. I wondered if he was doing better or worse than average against high danger chances, and it looks like he's doing worse. He's 55th out of 71 goalies that've played at least 300 minutes in terms of high danger save %. I feel like that's insightful, but kind of limited because while that breaks out all the super easy saves, it also doesn't make any adjustments for the wide open backdoor tap-ins that no goalie in history has a chance on, and it seemed like there were a lot of those early in the season. One stat I found interesting was that Binnington had the 4th shortest shot distance against, behind only the 2 Anaheim goalies and one of Buffalo's. Not exactly the strongest defensive squads there.

In conclusion, Binnington could definitely be better, but he's getting thrown to the wolves pretty much every night.

Not sure where else to put this, but I was going through my son's closet and he's got a Youth XL Tarasenko jersey that he has way outgrown. Let me know if anybody here could use it. I don't know too many Blues fans with kids around Denver to give it to.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Injury updates:

What's the hope meter on Perunovich these days? Got to be close to zero, don't it. He's looking like a rotational 6-7 guy at best now.

BillP. wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:16 pm

What's the hope meter on Perunovich these days? Got to be close to zero, don't it. He's looking like a rotational 6-7 guy at best now.
My optimism is low.

Hope moderate, expectations very low.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:50 pm

Hope moderate, expectations very low.
Pairing him with Tarasenko in a trade at the deadline could be worth taking a look at...
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

If he can't stay healthy he's of no value to the team.

Durability is a very important facet of player development that often gets overlooked.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:Injury updates:

Durability is a very important facet of player development that often gets overlooked.
But, but, but ... Perunovich was a Hobey Baker winner. Sure things don't come along every day.

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:19 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm

But, but, but ... Perunovich was a Hobey Baker winner. Sure things don't come along every day.
So was Peter Sejna. 😅

Had such high hopes for him too. Thought he could be a young Torey Krug for this team. I guess he still could be but the guy doesn't seem to have the ability to hold up against injuries in this league.

Was just looking at the schedule. The Blues have a massive break surrounding the All-Star game. The All-Star break officially starts Thursday 2/2 with games resuming Monday 2/6. Meanwhile the Blues play their last game before the break 1/30 and don't play again until 2/11. I don't know if the trade market will have jumped into action by then, but that'd be a great time to wheel and deal. At the very least they'll have a long stretch with decreased injury risk for any tradeable assets.

Something to look forward to. https://theathletic.com/4095247/2023/01 ... directed=1

Which NHL prospects saw their stock rise in the first half of the season?

Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, St. Louis
Snuggerud has been great this season, being a top scorer in college and then at the world juniors. Snuggerud was a top line forward with the USNTDP in his draft season but he was never *the guy* on that team. In fact, four other forwards on that team were picked ahead of him. Snuggerud was always viewed as a skilled goal scorer who worked hard but there were questions about his foot speed and how dynamic he was offensively. He’s shown this season he has another level of offense while still being one of the harder workers on the ice. Snuggerud is trending to being a strong top-six winger.