Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 am The Blues and Army are getting dangerously close to being a bad team with bad contracts that will get tougher and tougher to move.

Schenn who is 31 under contract until he's 37 with a full no-trade
Krug is 31 and under contract until he's 36 and we are quickly watching his skills dimension. He's becoming a liability 5 on 5. Also full no trade
Parayko 29, under contract til he's 37 with a full no trade.
Leddy 31, 4 more years with full no trade
Binner until he's 34 with a full no trade
Saad til he's 34 full no trade

Whtaever direction the Blues plan to head, they are going to need to decide it soon because NONE of these players values are going to go up and you're going to get in a spot where you're going to have to both retain salary and find a place they want to live or keep trying to win with this same squad.
Not to worry, we've also got one of the shallowest prospect pools in the league too! It is wild how it got this bad this fast. JR had a piece today where some insider I can't remember explored moving some of those guys. One of the problems is that not many teams want to make a big deal like that in November, so Army may have to wait even if he decides to make those moves.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:47 am The Blues and Army are getting dangerously close to being a bad team with bad contracts that will get tougher and tougher to move.

Krug is 31 and under contract until he's 36 and we are quickly watching his skills dimension. He's becoming a liability 5 on 5. Also full no trade

Whtaever direction the Blues plan to head, they are going to need to decide it soon because NONE of these players values are going to go up and you're going to get in a spot where you're going to have to both retain salary and find a place they want to live or keep trying to win with this same squad.
I'm more worried about the -17 player who has the League's worst contract at $2.8M who will have the League history's worst contract next season at $8.125M.

Those guys are all proven performers who will be serviceable NHLers until their contracts expire, not the kid who will be bought out and playing in Russia in a couple of years.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:08 am

I'm more worried about the -17 player who has the League's worst contract at $2.8M who will have the League history's worst contract next season at $8.125M.

Those guys are all proven performers who will be serviceable NHLers until their contracts expire, not the kid who will be bought out and playing in Russia in a couple of years.
I will be shocked if his play stays at this level. Just his shooting percentage alone is 5% lower than his career average and over 6% his last two years. That's gotta balance out at some point.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:20 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:08 am

I will be shocked if his play stays at this level. Just his shooting percentage alone is 5% lower than his career average and over 6% his last two years. That's gotta balance out at some point.
I hope you're right and I'm sure Armstrong does too.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:41 pm Neighbours to Springfield which is probably the best thing for him right now.

I'm interested to see how our new Russian performs.
Neighbours has been incredibly disappointing but very excited to see Alexandrov get some run to see what the kids got. Second round pick in 2019 for those they aren't familiar with him. Had 30 points in 67 games in the AHL last year but was off to a good start with 8 in 9 games this year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:52 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:41 pm Neighbours to Springfield which is probably the best thing for him right now.

Neighbours has been incredibly disappointing but very excited to see Alexandrov get some run to see what the kids got. Second round pick in 2019 for those they aren't familiar with him. Had 30 points in 67 games in the AHL last year but was off to a good start with 8 in 9 games this year.
I knew it was all Neighbors fault, he stole fire from King Friday and now we all are paying the price.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:16 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:52 pm

I knew it was all Neighbors fault, he stole fire from King Friday and now we all are paying the price.
I think we've all missed the obvious conclusion during this losing streak. Klim Kostin held this organization together.

When do major shake ups start? Something has to give, a team can't just keep making the same mistakes expecting different results. Chief has mixed up the lines about all he can and they still suck. Don't get me wrong its not Berubes fault, its the total lack of give a fuck exhibited on the ice. Maybe sitting some primadonnas for a few games would spark a fire in their collective belly. I don't know the answer, but I would rather bring up some youngsters for 9 games outta Springfield than watch this dumpster fire.

Last season the Blues had the 2nd best PP in the league and 6th best PK. This year the PP is ranked 18 and the PK is 28th. The players look older, slower, and mostly uninspired, but the coaching downgrade from Montgomery (who ran the PK I think) to MacTavish is immense.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:21 am Last season the Blues had the 2nd best PP in the league and 6th best PK. This year the PP is ranked 18 and the PK is 28th. The players look older, slower, and mostly uninspired, but the coaching downgrade from Montgomery (who ran the PK I think) to MacTavish is immense.
MacTavish had added nothing to the team. He's a dinosaur and should be back in Edmonton.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:39 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:21 am Last season the Blues had the 2nd best PP in the league and 6th best PK. This year the PP is ranked 18 and the PK is 28th. The players look older, slower, and mostly uninspired, but the coaching downgrade from Montgomery (who ran the PK I think) to MacTavish is immense.
MacTavish had added nothing to the team. He's a dinosaur and should be back in Edmonton.
I dont know what he has and hasn't added but what I can definitively say is Jim Montgomery is a far better coach than him.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:23 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:20 amvery cool!

Tucker will do as much on the bench as Bortuzzo has done on the ice this season.

Odd trivia time:; Robert Bettuzzo is currently the second longest tenured Blue on the team.
Question: Did Tyler Tucker's parents have to drive him from Springfield to St. Louis, or did they just pin a note to his jacket & put him on a bus?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:02 pm What do you not like about this jersey? I love it

The marketing campaign and all the yellow. Have to see one in person once the extreme irritation of the marketing calms down. I could see not absolutely hating it. A zillion times better than the clown jerseys you also like for some reason, that’s for sure.

Alexandrov down, Neighbours up. It probably has a lot to do with the Schenn injury and I don't think Alexandrov was doing all that great anyways.

Come to think of it, Toropchenko hasn't been doing a hell of a lot either.

On the balance, this seems to just be a very mediocre NHL team this season. I wonder how Armstrong handles that assuming that's the way things shake out. It's easy to figure out what to do when you're at the top or bottom, not so easy when you're on the bubble.