Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

I don't want The Blues to give up one of their 1st Rounders just to get rid of Krug's contract, nor to give one up to move to a higher 1st Round pick. I want them to draft 3 high-level prospects in this unusually deep-floored 1st two rounds.

Robb_K wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:02 pm I don't want The Blues to give up one of their 1st Rounders just to get rid of Krug's contract, nor to give one up to move to a higher 1st Round pick. I want them to draft 3 high-level prospects in this unusually deep-floored 1st two rounds.
I really don't care if they move #10 as long as there is a first or 2nd rounder coming back. But we need to restock the cupboard so i would like to keep three first or second rounders.

Also Twitter buzz tonight sees Krug removing his Blues info from his Twitter feed. Take it for what it's worth.

Robb_K wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:02 pm I don't want The Blues to give up one of their 1st Rounders just to get rid of Krug's contract, nor to give one up to move to a higher 1st Round pick. I want them to draft 3 high-level prospects in this unusually deep-floored 1st two rounds.
I tend to agree with you here. Krug is a confident, competitive so and so. So to treat him like he’s kryptonite now is a little unfair. If Army didn’t sign Leddy, maybe the front office wouldn’t feel like it needs to fire sale Krug. But you have to admit, this is all on Army. Scandella, Krug, and Leddy. Dude went to the well once too often. At some point you got to have faith in your prospects and stop investing in veteran D men.

While I'm sure they won't use all 3 of the picks, I think categorizing the trade as "a first just to dump Krug's contract" isn't exactly right. Sanheim has a lot of value defensively and Hayes is much more palatable at a cap hit in the $3.5-4 million range. Still a risky deal of course. Krug was rough last year but he was still really good the year before.

I still don't know how I feel about that particular trade (partially because we might not ever get all the details), but I'm ok with using one of the late firsts to help the competitive level of this team short term. I don't think they'll end up packing a late pick with 10 to move up.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I am very indifferent on the three first rounders.

If the Blues make all 3 picks, I'll be happy and excited for the chance to really beef up our prospect pipeline that is rather thin.

If they trade one or two of them to improve the team we see next year and unload a bad contract to help us add more pieces going forward I will be happy about that too.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: I am very indifferent on the three first rounders.

If the Blues make all 3 picks, I'll be happy and excited for the chance to really beef up our prospect pipeline that is rather thin.

If they trade one or two of them to improve the team we see next year and unload a bad contract to help us add more pieces going forward I will be happy about that too.
Preferably I prefer retaining all 3 picks. I think the Blues can be just as good without the Philly trade as they can with it. Bring in Laughton, you're cutting into Blais and Torp. Fuck it, we got a good team. Believe in what you got and let's go. Draft the kids, figure out a decent way to open up cap without gifting a late first & bring back ROR. This team can definitely compete for a wild card spot next year.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:48 am

Preferably I prefer retaining all 3 picks. I think the Blues can be just as good without the Philly trade as they can with it. Bring in Laughton, you're cutting into Blais and Torp. Fuck it, we got a good team. Believe in what you got and let's go. Draft the kids, figure out a decent way to open up cap without gifting a late first & bring back ROR. This team can definitely compete for a wild card spot next year.
...not with this defense... way too soft.

That is still very much up for debate. Just depends what Army thinks though.

BluesSK wrote: I love this move. Welcome back.
Sure would like an update on who actually makes up the Consulting Committee these days.

We here about these guys joining the organization as Consultants (Hitch, Chia Pet, L. Robinson, etc.) and then we never hear about these guys ever again.

Are they still here or what?

Be nice if someone would write an article and update the fans on who's who in Blue.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:30 am
BluesSK wrote: I love this move. Welcome back.
Sure would like an update on who actually makes up the Consulting Committee these days.

We here about these guys joining the organization as Consultants (Hitch, Chia Pet, L. Robinson, etc.) and then we never hear about these guys ever again.

Are they still here or what?

Be nice if someone would write an article and update the fans on who's who in Blue.
It sure would. Some of these positions seem to be just random titles of them doing what. Who knows?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:01 am

That is still very much up for debate. Just depends what Army thinks though.
Agreed. Bill, I don't know how you watched last season and come to the conclusion the right move is to pretty much just run it back with the same team.

Well yeah, you're going to have to have some tweaks. We really need to make room to bring back ROR. Biggest thing lacking is a veteran leader up front. But I'm not thrilled on trading a late first just to unload Krug. But it looks like we have to now since divorce papers are being filed so we'll see how that goes but hopefully the team will make room for some youth infusion into the starting lineup like Tucker. But a new coaching staff, and a team filled with some guys that need to prove themselves playing in bigger roles, who's to say they can't be better.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Hold on, Sanheim has an 8 year 50 million deal about to kick in?? EFF that! Hold strong Torey!!
Army and that commitment to defense. OUCH!

Give a kid a fuckn chance for crying out loud.

BillP. wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:43 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Hold on, Sanheim has an 8 year 50 million deal about to kick in?? EFF that! Hold strong Torey!!
Army and that commitment to defense. OUCH!

Give a kid a fuckn chance for crying out loud.
The only kids on D are Tucker and Perunovich, both of whom will continue to get chances. Sanheim is on the hook for a long time but his size and defense are huge upgrades over Krug, plus he's 2 or 3 years younger.

I don't love the proposed deal, but I get it and I don't hate it.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:37 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm Hold on, Sanheim has an 8 year 50 million deal about to kick in?? EFF that! Hold strong Torey!!
Well we've gotta keep our $6.25 million cap hit defenseman quota!
Sure seems like he’s just their version of Parayko. A guy you paid to be your top pairing guy and quickly realized that was a mistake and now they are bailing out before his NTC kicks in (July 1).

Army is trying to fix one mistake by bringing in another. No thanks!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:55 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:30 pm Hold on, Sanheim has an 8 year 50 million deal about to kick in?? EFF that! Hold strong Torey!!
Sure seems like he’s just their version of Parayko. A guy you paid to be your top pairing guy and quickly realized that was a mistake and now they are bailing out before his NTC kicks in (July 1).

Maybe Army doesn't want either of them, and plans on flipping them...

Reasonable. Still think he fits better on this roster than Krug, particularly it Perunovich is healthy.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:22 pm
Another reason why I've been asking whether this potential deal is really worth it.
I also wonder what the rest of the pieces are, if any.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Reasonable. Still think he fits better on this roster than Krug, particularly it Perunovich is healthy.
I will not disagree with that. But giving up a first and taking on another 8 year contract that runs a guy through mid 30's with a NTC who is already underperforming that contract before it's even started just to unload the last 4 years of Krug? I'm struggling to see the worth for the Blues side.