Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:28 am On the balance, this seems to just be a very mediocre NHL team this season. I wonder how Armstrong handles that assuming that's the way things shake out. It's easy to figure out what to do when you're at the top or bottom, not so easy when you're on the bubble.
I agree with this assessment. Moments of brilliance, moments of utter bullshit. This is looking like a team that will be fighting for one of the final playoff spots and I'm not sure that's the goal. Will be interesting to see if Army just lets this core have one last crack at a playoff run and then lets em walk or attempts to sell at the deadline. Blues haven't been sellers in quite some team
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:44 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:28 am On the balance, this seems to just be a very mediocre NHL team this season. I wonder how Armstrong handles that assuming that's the way things shake out. It's easy to figure out what to do when you're at the top or bottom, not so easy when you're on the bubble.
I agree with this assessment. Moments of brilliance, moments of utter bullshit. This is looking like a team that will be fighting for one of the final playoff spots and I'm not sure that's the goal. Will be interesting to see if Army just lets this core have one last crack at a playoff run and then lets em walk or attempts to sell at the deadline. Blues haven't been sellers in quite some team
When I posed this question, the move that immediately popped to mind was when he flipped Stastny to Winnepeg for a first rounder. He'd likely get more for Tarasenko or ROR on expiring deals. I still think they try to work something out with ROR, but he's obviously not afraid to let captains walk for nothing. Given that this team doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I can't imagine he lets that scenario play out again. The teams in the season preceding Backes/Petro walking were good enough to risk it. This one doesn't appear to be worth it right now.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:15 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:44 am
When I posed this question, the move that immediately popped to mind was when he flipped Stastny to Winnepeg for a first rounder. He'd likely get more for Tarasenko or ROR on expiring deals. I still think they try to work something out with ROR, but he's obviously not afraid to let captains walk for nothing. Given that this team doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I can't imagine he lets that scenario play out again. The teams in the season preceding Backes/Petro walking were good enough to risk it. This one doesn't appear to be worth it right now.
Yeah, would depend if Army values picks or near NHL ready prospects more. I would love to get a stud D prospect in return. A Shanahan for Pronger type trade just obviously on a much smaller scale.

I'd look to partner up with NJ who would probably welcome ROR experience on that team or Tarasenko who would add much needed top six winger and have one of the best prospect pools in hockey. Luke Hughes would be great but wishful on my part.

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:09 pm If teams don't lose, then they will never draft top talent. I can't be upset if the Blues have a losing season.
Counterpoint...The Blues drafted point per game players 20th or later in 2016-17 in Thompson, Kyrou and Thomas. You can do it it's just a lot harder.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:52 pm Toropchenko down to minors on a conditioning assignment. He really hasn't looked like the same player as last season. Hope he gets it together.
I don't agree nor disagree. He doesn't look the same as last year, but this team hasn't looked the same as last year (player personnel-wise) and I can't honestly believe losing Jim Montgomery was the reason for this, but now one has to wonder...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:52 pm Toropchenko down to minors on a conditioning assignment. He really hasn't looked like the same player as last season. Hope he gets it together.
I don't agree nor disagree. He doesn't look the same as last year, but this team hasn't looked the same as last year (player personnel-wise) and I can't honestly believe losing Jim Montgomery was the reason for this, but now one has to wonder...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:22 am Since they were traded for each other

Buchnevich goals: 36
Blais goals: 0

This is getting up there as one of the more lopsided trades in this organizations history.
I knew Blais wasn't tearing it up on the Rangers but I didn't realize it was that bad. He's never played more than 50 games in a season at the NHL level.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:22 am Since they were traded for each other

Buchnevich goals: 36
Blais goals: 0

This is getting up there as one of the more lopsided trades in this organizations history.
The big get in the trade for the Rangers was the second round pick. They took a defenseman that's still playing in Sweden, so they just have to hope he turns into something. The fans (and I assume front office) must have assumed their two high draft pick wingers would be big contributors by now, but neither Kakko or Lafreniere have made close to the impact that Buchnevich does. Great trade, great extension.

This whole Binner issue is amplified by the fact that Army didn't replace Husso who is playing great for the Wings. Husso saved this team last season and they just simply do not have an internal option to do that this year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:17 am This whole Binner issue is amplified by the fact that Army didn't replace Husso who is playing great for the Wings. Husso saved this team last season and they just simply do not have an internal option to do that this year.
I don't know, I think they are separate issues. Greiss wasn't my favorite signing be he's been a decent backup goalie given the wildly inconsistent D in front of him. Husso's value on the cheap last year was unreasonable to expect. Binnington just embarrasses everyone but the other team when he pulls this shit. Every goalie gets shelled once in a while. It sucks, but just skate your ass to the bench like a pro. The in game cheap shots are new if I recall correctly and aren't helping. It'd be one thing if he had these toddler poopy-pants tantrums as an exception to an otherwise stellar season of stopping the puck. When you do it amidst as sub .900 save percentage season you just make things look worse and worse.

Enjoy it while it lasts. He needs to either back it up with performance or just shut up and play. And if that doesn't happen he'll be in the KHL in a couple of seasons.

Don't get me wrong. I like his personality but he really needs to figure it all out.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:45 am Enjoy it while it lasts. He needs to either back it up with performance or just shut up and play. And if that doesn't happen he'll be in the KHL in a couple of seasons.

Don't get me wrong. I like his personality but he really needs to figure it all out.
That's exactly it. Its fun and great when you're leading the team to the cup. It's embarrassing when you're getting shelled and definitely not getting in the other teams head.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:17 pm
BluesSK wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:45 am Enjoy it while it lasts. He needs to either back it up with performance or just shut up and play. And if that doesn't happen he'll be in the KHL in a couple of seasons.

That's exactly it. Its fun and great when you're leading the team to the cup. It's embarrassing when you're getting shelled and definitely not getting in the other teams head.
In his defence though, if he was a skater nobody would say anything other than maybe he's a pest or he's trying to get something started to fire up his team.

The media is clutching pealrs actitng like he's Marty McSorley clubbing Donald Brashear in his head with a stick.

BluesSK wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:51 pm

In his defence though, if he was a skater nobody would say anything other than maybe he's a pest or he's trying to get something started to fire up his team.

The media is clutching pealrs actitng like he's Marty McSorley clubbing Donald Brashear in his head with a stick.
Well he's very much not a skater. If you're a skate other people can hit you. When you're a goalie they can't. If he's trying to fire up his team he should do so by making some big saves. Just stop the puck.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:03 am

Well he's very much not a skater. If you're a skate other people can hit you. When you're a goalie they can't. If he's trying to fire up his team he should do so by making some big saves. Just stop the puck.
Yes, true. But the NHL has always had hot-headed goalies. Hextall, Roy, Billy Smith, etc. The media is acting like Binnington is some kind of outlaw. I think it adds some color to the game which sorely needs it.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:31 am

Yes, true. But the NHL has always had hot-headed goalies. Hextall, Roy, Billy Smith, etc. The media is acting like Binnington is some kind of outlaw. I think it adds some color to the game which sorely needs it.
With regard to Hextall, most people thought he was an actual tough guy while most fans think of Binner as a whiney little bitch. Roy both backed it up with his play and fist too.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:31 am

I think they just see him as a massive prick who's hurting his team.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:16 pm
McTavish sucks, our power play does the same ole drop back pass every time, teams know that and adjust accordingly. Didn't like him as a player, hate him as a coach.

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:44 pm
McTavish sucks, our power play does the same ole drop back pass every time, teams know that and adjust accordingly. Didn't like him as a player, hate him as a coach.
I was shocked at his hiring not just because he's old and hasn't been doing anything, but also because I couldn't believe he was interested in an assistant coaching job. Now he's helming a historically bad PK. This is going great.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:13 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:44 pm

I was shocked at his hiring not just because he's old and hasn't been doing anything, but also because I couldn't believe he was interested in an assistant coaching job. Now he's helming a historically bad PK. This is going great.
They took him off the PK and put Van Ryn on it. That's how bad he was. I don't know if they've put him back.

Hey, not to speak blasphemy of the greatest trade in team history, but is it fair to say Kyrou in place of Thompson might've been the desired outcome in the ROR deal 🤔

It evens out a LOT if ROR is gone after this year in posterity. We obviously benefitted from it tremendously, and Buffalo might after all. It could be a true perfect trade 🤷‍♂️