Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:31 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:46 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:34 am

That's fine and is your forum given right. My hot(?) take is that Leddy-Parayko have been ok (at the moment) and that every other pairing has been ass.
The Blues have tried to make Leddy something he is most definitely not. It's a terrible management of "talent". For his career, Leddy's offensive zone starts is 57.4% and 42.6% defensive. This year its 29.5% and 70.5%.
And yet he leads the team in on ice expected goals percentage for defensemen this year.
Weird stat to use for a defensemen since its a predominately forward impacted stat but I am also a big fan of cherry picking stats so I applaud you sir.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:04 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:46 am

The Blues have tried to make Leddy something he is most definitely not. It's a terrible management of "talent". For his career, Leddy's offensive zone starts is 57.4% and 42.6% defensive. This year its 29.5% and 70.5%.
And yet he leads the team in on ice expected goals percentage for defensemen this year.
Weird stat to use for a defensemen since its a predominately forward impacted stat but I am also a big fan of cherry picking stats so I applaud you sir.
Ok, how about expected goals against per 60? Is that ok since defensemen are supposed to help not allow goals? Leddy's rate there is the lowest on the team, and he and Parayko are way better than the other pairings. Pace yourself on Leddy. He's going to suck soon enough, but he's not there yet!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:21 pm

Ok, how about expected goals against per 60? Is that ok since defensemen are supposed to help not allow goals? Leddy's rate there is the lowest on the team, and he and Parayko are way better than the other pairings. Pace yourself on Leddy. He's going to suck soon enough, but he's not there yet!
The least smelly trash is still trash :lol:

We’ve been spoiled by the franchise always have at least one stalwart on D. The times they are changing

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:37 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:21 pm

The least smelly trash is still trash :lol:

We’ve been spoiled by the franchise always have at least one stalwart on D. The times they are changing
Yeah, having said all that, Leddy's turnover the other night that led directly to a goal against was pee-wee level bad.

Some quotes from Army:

“He’s proud. He’s a coach. He sees what’s going on,” Armstrong said. “What I wanted to assure to Craig (that) he has to be part of the solution. He’s not removed from this, but he’s not the reason that we’re here. But he is the reason that we’re going to get out of it and I’ve got a ton of faith in him.

“If it’s not underperforming, and this is just the ability that they have, then we’re going to get to that part that I don’t want to get to, seeing, ‘Can we play certain players in different (NHL teams) and try to gain assets to go into a rebuild?'” Armstrong said. “I said to (the players), ‘Look at the teams that have had success in the past that are into a different phase of their organization — everyone has the term retooling, rebuilding, whatever ‘re’ is … it sucks. I don’t want to be a re-anything. I want to continue what we’re doing now, and again, it’s very self-serving because I put it together, but we’re not in the belief business, we’re in the winning business.

“We’re not running out of winning runway yet, but 10 percent gets to 20 pretty quickly in this league. I really believe in the guys; they’ve done a lot for my career and I want to return the favor to keep doing it for their career. But at some point, we have to do it together. If I believe in these guys in September, I should believe in them on the first of November, but we have to start having results.”

https://theathletic.com/3748619/2022/11 ... ed_article

Haven't posted in a while but from this drunks eyes I see a team built for a north south game playing to much east west. Get the puck out of the d zone on your first pass not your 5th. Parayko needs to stop trying to always get to his backhand on the boards drives me fucking nuts. That said, ROR is slow as shit, vladi needs to shoot and stop trying to lead the league in assists.

BlueinNy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:15 am Haven't posted in a while but from this drunks eyes I see a team built for a north south game playing to much east west. Get the puck out of the d zone on your first pass not your 5th. Parayko needs to stop trying to always get to his backhand on the boards drives me fucking nuts. That said, ROR is slow as shit, vladi needs to shoot and stop trying to lead the league in assists.
Welcome back. I agree with that assessment.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:56 pm I would love to see the Blues re-sign Tarasenko.
As one of the only players registering on the give a shit meter so far this year, I would too. Having said that I don't know why he'd do that to himself right now.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:22 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:56 pm I would love to see the Blues re-sign Tarasenko.
As one of the only players registering on the give a shit meter so far this year, I would too. Having said that I don't know why he'd do that to himself right now.
It's just a gut feeling but if Armstrong showed a commitment to Tarasenko it might go a long way to stabilizing the locker room. Of course you're right, whether he decides to stay is a whole other question.

But when you compare his season so far to O'Reilly's there's no question that Vlad has outperformed. It would also solidify the chance to re-sign Barbashev who seems to be re-awakening from a slow start.

I mean if this is what we are going to get out of O'Reilly we won't be keeping him.

We've also let too many assets just walk after the Cup winning season.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am We've also let too many assets just walk after the Cup winning season.
It's hit the blue line the hardest.

Pietrangelo was just too expensive to keep, sadly, but we lost Dunn to the expansion draft and Bouwmeester to a heart condition. Edmundson was more valuable that people realized, but shouldn't have been a major blow to lose. Gunnarsson retiring wasn't a big deal, and Bortuzzo has always been a depth guy. That leaves Parayko as the only full-time defenseman left from our cup season.

Faulk has been a great addition, and Krug is an offensive blueliner who really needs to be paired with a bigger, physical, shut-down kind of guy, but Scandella and Leddy have been pretty clear misses, and not decent replacements for Dunn, JBo, and/or Eddy.

Ovechkin -defensively- was the same way early in his career then became a good two way player.

Kyrou can still make the jump with the right teachers/trainers (i hope)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

BluesSK wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:22 am
It's just a gut feeling but if Armstrong showed a commitment to Tarasenko it might go a long way to stabilizing the locker room. Of course you're right, whether he decides to stay is a whole other question.

But when you compare his season so far to O'Reilly's there's no question that Vlad has outperformed. It would also solidify the chance to re-sign Barbashev who seems to be re-awakening from a slow start.

I mean if this is what we are going to get out of O'Reilly we won't be keeping him.

We've also let too many assets just walk after the Cup winning season.
ROR started slowing down last season. He's dreadfully slow now. I think he's already started down the cliff. I wouldn't sign him to anything more than a 2-year deal.

I'd sign Tarasenko to a 4-year deal. But, I think he wants at least 7 (which is probably why they haven't reached an agreement on an extension (and maybe is a contributor to Vladdy asking to be traded).

It'd be cool if it turned out they all just had covid or something for the last 2 weeks and rattle off like 10 straight wins. It'd also be cool if I won the next powerball drawing.

The good news, if you're looking for some, if there was a year for the Blues to shit the bed, this draft class would be one of those years. There's 3 guys that would be first overall picks in most draft classes. Bedard, Michkov, and Fantilli. It's not an Erik Johnson draft class.

I still don't think they will be in this spot when the season ends, but IF they are...

The Blues and Army are getting dangerously close to being a bad team with bad contracts that will get tougher and tougher to move.

Schenn who is 31 under contract until he's 37 with a full no-trade
Krug is 31 and under contract until he's 36 and we are quickly watching his skills dimension. He's becoming a liability 5 on 5. Also full no trade
Parayko 29, under contract til he's 37 with a full no trade.
Leddy 31, 4 more years with full no trade
Binner until he's 34 with a full no trade
Saad til he's 34 full no trade

Whtaever direction the Blues plan to head, they are going to need to decide it soon because NONE of these players values are going to go up and you're going to get in a spot where you're going to have to both retain salary and find a place they want to live or keep trying to win with this same squad.