Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:32 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:25 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:56 pmWealthy people are parasites...

He had a point but he should know those prices.

What does a beer and hot dog cost? $30+?

It's a big racket.
I dont even drink at games any more.
Just on the way there, and back.
Last edited by JMC-STL on Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillP wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:35 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:29 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 pmTwo problems this season. Both of Armstrong's making; Kyrou and Tarasenko.
We read that different I guess as Tarasenko wasn’t the captain. Army saying he doesn’t know if a Captain even does anything anymore and Schenn talking about guys only caring about themselves makes me think it was ROR. Team got better without him
So hard to say. I don’t think I can go there about ROR. I don’t think any of that needed to be said. The team just wasn’t good enough. It’s like I always say, when you win, you look good. When you lose you look bad. The very team that won the Cup had character issues and was blowing up and that all changed cause they started winning. This team just never got going.
10 bucks to the first person here who can pull the thread through this year's team leading from STL City Mayor T. Jones signing the bill that rescinded key marijuana usage ordinances in December 2021. Ready ... GO!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:08 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:38 am After reading a piece JR just wrote, I assume Army is frustrated with Kyrou for sure, and any combination of the other 18-25 year olds on the roster. A couple quotes:
“I need to know what’s going on with a 21-year-old high-level athlete and so I have to find out who’s dealing with high-level athletes from 18-25.
“There’s a group of players, and I’m not saying they’re bad or they’re wrong, but they’ll play 18 minutes (in a game) to get an 18-second shift that can go on YouTube and get a million likes and think that that was a good night,
The 18-25 year olds on the roster at the moment are Neighbours, Toropchenko, Thomas, Kyrou and Brown. I think some of that was clearly directed at Kyrou and Brown, with the difference being that Brown doesn't really offer any positives to offset the headaches and can easily removed from this roster this summer. Torophchencko at least seemed to work his ass off, so I assume none of those comments are directed at him, but I'd believe it if you'd told me it was any combination of the others.
Kyrou is paid to score goals and has turned himself into a damn near 40 goal scorer as a 2nd round pick. I'm on his side in this.
Really? He was like -30 at one point in the season. I can see where his teammates would have had issues with it.

Him and Krug were neck and neck for worst +/- in the League at one point.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:26 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:16 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:08 pm

Kyrou is paid to score goals and has turned himself into a damn near 40 goal scorer as a 2nd round pick. I'm on his side in this.
Totally get that, but who else does that line about the 18 second highlight vs. the other 18 minutes apply to? Fair or unfair I just think it's pretty clear that's who Armstrong was talking about. I think he improved as the year went on in terms of the complete game, but there's still a ways to go. He's not alone in the inconsistent effort group. He's got the stuff that can't be taught or developed, so I'm still high on him.
Nick Leddy
I must have missed all of those Nick Leddy highlights.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:38 am After reading a piece JR just wrote, I assume Army is frustrated with Kyrou for sure, and any combination of the other 18-25 year olds on the roster. A couple quotes:
“I need to know what’s going on with a 21-year-old high-level athlete and so I have to find out who’s dealing with high-level athletes from 18-25.
“There’s a group of players, and I’m not saying they’re bad or they’re wrong, but they’ll play 18 minutes (in a game) to get an 18-second shift that can go on YouTube and get a million likes and think that that was a good night,
The 18-25 year olds on the roster at the moment are Neighbours, Toropchenko, Thomas, Kyrou and Brown. I think some of that was clearly directed at Kyrou and Brown, with the difference being that Brown doesn't really offer any positives to offset the headaches and can easily removed from this roster this summer. Torophchencko at least seemed to work his ass off, so I assume none of those comments are directed at him, but I'd believe it if you'd told me it was any combination of the others.
Seems like the modern equiv of “play for the logo on the front not the name on the back”.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:08 pm Logan Brown needs to retire... he has no interest in hockey other than the paycheck, and he isn't worth one.
Such a waste of talent. I didn't have any expectations once he arrived here, but he was the most invisible 6'6 center I can remember.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:08 pm Logan Brown needs to retire... he has no interest in hockey other than the paycheck, and he isn't worth one.
Such a waste of talent. I didn't have any expectations once he arrived here, but he was the most invisible 6'6 center I can remember.
He drifts around like some grocery bag in a breeze

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:25 pm
Yeah I don't get it. What did he expect? He's been given tons of chances to do something.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:09 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:25 pm

Yeah I don't get it. What did he expect? He's been given tons of chances to do something.
First round draft pick too

It's interesting looking at the Bruins roster and thinking about their success. Obviously upfront you have an all world player in Pasta, but if you look at their defense, the names aren't guys you'd think of when you think of best defense in the league. Lindbolm, who is their top guy was basically left for dead in Anaheim. He was in his late 20's scoring about 22 points a season and thought to have a bad contract. He gets to Boston and absolutely took off and finished this year with over 50 points. He basically was Anaheim's Colton Parayko. McAvoy is very good, and the rest of the guys are just good solid d-men.

I think the Blues can turn their d around quickly if Army can stop his obsession with trading for guys in their early 30's and locking them up to long term deals.

The other thing we can learn from Boston is coaching MATTERS. Blues felt the loss of Monty really hard and obviously the Bruins, who some had not even as a playoff team this year, felt it on the opposite end. It's going to be very important who the Blues bring in the fill their two assistance spots. Do they go young or do they go with a former head coach?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 am It's interesting looking at the Bruins roster and thinking about their success. Obviously upfront you have an all world player in Pasta, but if you look at their defense, the names aren't guys you'd think of when you think of best defense in the league. Lindbolm, who is their top guy was basically left for dead in Anaheim. He was in his late 20's scoring about 22 points a season and thought to have a bad contract. He gets to Boston and absolutely took off and finished this year with over 50 points. He basically was Anaheim's Colton Parayko. McAvoy is very good, and the rest of the guys are just good solid d-men.

I think the Blues can turn their d around quickly if Army can stop his obsession with trading for guys in their early 30's and locking them up to long term deals.

The other thing we can learn from Boston is coaching MATTERS. Blues felt the loss of Monty really hard and obviously the Bruins, who some had not even as a playoff team this year, felt it on the opposite end. It's going to be very important who the Blues bring in the fill their two assistance spots. Do they go young or do they go with a former head coach?
More old guys that haven't been involved with the game for years please! What could go wrong?

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:48 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:02 am It's interesting looking at the Bruins roster and thinking about their success. Obviously upfront you have an all world player in Pasta, but if you look at their defense, the names aren't guys you'd think of when you think of best defense in the league. Lindbolm, who is their top guy was basically left for dead in Anaheim. He was in his late 20's scoring about 22 points a season and thought to have a bad contract. He gets to Boston and absolutely took off and finished this year with over 50 points. He basically was Anaheim's Colton Parayko. McAvoy is very good, and the rest of the guys are just good solid d-men.

More old guys that haven't been involved with the game for years please! What could go wrong?
Curious to see if they promote Drew Bannister from their AHL team. He's done a really good job at Springfield since being named coach two seasons ago. Took em to the finals his first year after they had never made the playoffs before him and are back in the playoffs again this year.

3 of their top 6 D were drafted in the top 15 of their draft years. McAvoy was always considered to have 'elite' potential, and Lindholm was very good but hadn't yet broken through. Forbort is the only one who's really under-achieving. Dmitry Orlov and Brandon Carlo are both excellent shut-down guys. Can't say much about Connor Clifton yet.
They also have some great defensive forwards and can play a solid 2-way game. Patrice Bergeron will probably be a Selke candidate for 2-3 years after he retires, David Krejci is not far behind as far as 2-way centermen go, and the much maligned Brad Marchand is really good all-around, too, as well as being a super-pest.
Don't forget that former #1 overall pick Taylor Hall is in their middle-6 too. He's not what he was, but with other solid 2-way depth players, can spread out scoring threats over multiple lines.
Add to that the goaltending duo of Ullmark/Swayman, which can cover up a LOT of defensive gaffes, and you've got a REALLY solid team, top to bottom.

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:16 pm

3 of their top 6 D were drafted in the top 15 of their draft years. McAvoy was always considered to have 'elite' potential, and Lindholm was very good but hadn't yet broken through. Forbort is the only one who's really under-achieving. Dmitry Orlov and Brandon Carlo are both excellent shut-down guys. Can't say much about Connor Clifton yet.
They also have some great defensive forwards and can play a solid 2-way game. Patrice Bergeron will probably be a Selke candidate for 2-3 years after he retires, David Krejci is not far behind as far as 2-way centermen go, and the much maligned Brad Marchand is really good all-around, too, as well as being a super-pest.
Don't forget that former #1 overall pick Taylor Hall is in their middle-6 too. He's not what he was, but with other solid 2-way depth players, can spread out scoring threats over multiple lines.
Add to that the goaltending duo of Ullmark/Swayman, which can cover up a LOT of defensive gaffes, and you've got a REALLY solid team, top to bottom.
Agree and was much of my point, when the Blues won the cup that was their recipe. A top to bottom solid team that all did their part and played for each other. Need to figure out how to get back to that.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
RAFritchey wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:16 pm

Agree and was much of my point, when the Blues won the cup that was their recipe. A top to bottom solid team that all did their part and played for each other. Need to figure out how to get back to that.
The defense will be the hardest thing to replicate. A big, tall, mobile defense with a lot of reach. Good luck Doug

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:55 am The off-season is off to a roaring start.
Them acting like Kyrou is their biggest issue is hilariously inept. Also, you already paid him. What are you going to do if he doesn’t do whatever in the world this mandate is.

Sure he needs to give more effort on the defensive side but he isn’t the whipping boy they are making him.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:55 am The off-season is off to a roaring start.
Them acting like Kyrou is their biggest issue is hilariously inept. Also, you already paid him. What are you going to do if he doesn’t do whatever in the world this mandate is.

Sure he needs to give more effort on the defensive side but he isn’t the whipping boy they are making him.
That is stupid. MUST be something else going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Cause otherwise, WTF. Not to mention, there's other ways to motivate a guy to be better. Hull had 41 goals here his first full year, thought he had a great year, and Sutter told him he could do better and challenged him. Can't tell if Berube and the Blues interaction with Kyrou is actually on the same level as Sutter's or if the media is blowing this up.

Kid is a fuck'n 40 goal scorer. Ceiling is high. And only a 2nd rd pick. Blues better not fuck it up.

BillP. wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:53 am

That is stupid. MUST be something else going on behind the scenes we don't know about. Cause otherwise, WTF. Not to mention, there's other ways to motivate a guy to be better. Hull had 41 goals here his first full year, thought he had a great year, and Sutter told him he could do better and challenged him. Can't tell if Berube and the Blues interaction with Kyrou is actually on the same level as Sutter's or if the media is blowing this up.

Kid is a fuck'n 40 goal scorer. Ceiling is high. And only a 2nd rd pick. Blues better not fuck it up.
Yes, both of you are right. If this is an issue why wasn't it brought up before they gave him that huge contract. I don't understand the reasoning for this buyer's remorse now.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:56 am

Yes, both of you are right. If this is an issue why wasn't it brought up before they gave him that huge contract. I don't understand the reasoning for this buyer's remorse now.
I don't see the problem with wanting one of the presumed faces of the franchise to give a consistent effort when he's on the ice. The reason it didn't come up as much before was A. He hadn't been paid yet, and B. He wasn't -39. An illuminating line in the article was Berube saying essentially "I don't care about the turnovers, I just want a hard backcheck after the turnover." They don't want to stifle his creativity or goal scoring, they just want the defensive effort to be there consistently. I think that's totally fair.

Kyrou absolutely is not the biggest issue on the team, but when one of your stars has such a glaring and obvious area to improve upon, it's a story. It's not as if Armstrong is going to have that conversation with Kyrou and then think "welp, that should fix the blueline!" I'm sure there will be many many words written about the need to upgrade the the defense, but it's ok to write about other subjects too.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:09 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:56 am

I don't see the problem with wanting one of the presumed faces of the franchise to give a consistent effort when he's on the ice. The reason it didn't come up as much before was A. He hadn't been paid yet, and B. He wasn't -39. An illuminating line in the article was Berube saying essentially "I don't care about the turnovers, I just want a hard backcheck after the turnover." They don't want to stifle his creativity or goal scoring, they just want the defensive effort to be there consistently. I think that's totally fair.

Kyrou absolutely is not the biggest issue on the team, but when one of your stars has such a glaring and obvious area to improve upon, it's a story. It's not as if Armstrong is going to have that conversation with Kyrou and then think "welp, that should fix the blueline!" I'm sure there will be many many words written about the need to upgrade the the defense, but it's ok to write about other subjects too.
Schenn was a -27. Did they send him home with a tongue lashing saying "this isn't juniors anymore" as well, though? It just seems much more petty to me than simply, "hey these are the things we want you to improve on as we head forward."

His job has been to score goals and he does that very well. Better than anyone in this organization has done outside of Tarasenko since Hullie. Maybe other guys need to step up and pick up for his defensive slack since he picks up their offensive slack.

If the Blues have a problem with the kid, the interaction between the 2 shouldn't hit the air waves. Really it shouldn't. Should be kept behind closed doors. Shame on the Blues. That's fucked up that the media is putting it out there, only shit can come out of that.