Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:31 am

Man, Ron Hextall getting the short stick again. I didn't follow his moves over there but I'm not sure it's his fault taking over a franchise that's trying to hang on to the past as long as it can.
Has Hextall had success anywhere?
I think he's credited for playing a big part in the development of the Kings Cup teams. That was supposed to be his strength. Yet he goes to Philly to do a rebuild and Holmgren cans his ass and the Flyers were never ready to compete yet. So he goes to Pitt which probably has unrealistic expectations. So he's had some tough luck in not really landing in a good spot.
Hextall was there for parts of 5 seasons and the team was showing no signs of improvement from what I recall. I'll always thank him for taking the Lehtera contract for the Blues.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Has Hextall had success anywhere?
I think he's credited for playing a big part in the development of the Kings Cup teams. That was supposed to be his strength. Yet he goes to Philly to do a rebuild and Holmgren cans his ass and the Flyers were never ready to compete yet. So he goes to Pitt which probably has unrealistic expectations. So he's had some tough luck in not really landing in a good spot.
Hextall was there for parts of 5 seasons and the team was showing no signs of improvement from what I recall. I'll always thank him for taking the Lehtera contract for the Blues.
He did fuck that up. Schenn was worth way more than just a 1st round pick. I still say Army slipped him a mickey during draft weekend when they made that deal.

BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:44 am
Dave's a mess wrote:

So no chance to move up to Number 3? Wonder why. Guess that slot goes to the teams that pick higher than us?
They only make 2 lottery selections now. You also can only move up a max of 10 draft slots, so no team that finished 12-16 can get Bedard.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote:

So no chance to move up to Number 3? Wonder why. Guess that slot goes to the teams that pick higher than us?
There are actually drawings for the 1st two picks. Whoever wins the first drawing is disqualified from the second.

If we win the first drawing we move up to #1
If we lose the first drawing and win the second drawing we move up to #2
If teams already drafting ahead of us win both drawings, we don't move (Stay at #10)
If a team behind us wins one of the lotteries, we drop down to #11.
If teams behind us win BOTH of he lotteries, we drop down to #12.

At least, that's my understanding.

This was a season of transition... everyone can toast their 16oz aluminum Bud Light to that. The only consistency this team experienced in '22-'23... woul be this forum. You done good.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:33 pmThis was a season of transition... everyone can toast their 16oz aluminum Bud Light to that. The only consistency this team experienced in '22-'23... woul be this forum. You done good.
I held mine high for this toast ... and Kid Rock shot it outta my hand. :shock:

RAFritchey wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:05 pm
Dave's a mess wrote:

There are actually drawings for the 1st two picks. Whoever wins the first drawing is disqualified from the second.

If we win the first drawing we move up to #1
If we lose the first drawing and win the second drawing we move up to #2
If teams already drafting ahead of us win both drawings, we don't move (Stay at #10)
If a team behind us wins one of the lotteries, we drop down to #11.
If teams behind us win BOTH of he lotteries, we drop down to #12.

At least, that's my understanding.
You explained it well. Thanks!!

BluesSK wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:25 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:56 pm Wealthy people are parasites...

He had a point but he should know those prices.

What does a beer and hot dog cost? $30+?

It's a big racket.
I dont even drink at games any more.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:32 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:25 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:56 pm Wealthy people are parasites...

He had a point but he should know those prices.

What does a beer and hot dog cost? $30+?

It's a big racket.
I dont even drink at games any more.
Oh God no. Can't afford it either.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:02 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:32 pm This all just reads of a toxic locker room this season.

Two problems this season. Both of Armstrong's making; Kyrou and Tarasenko.
We read that different I guess as Tarasenko wasn’t the captain. Army saying he doesn’t know if a Captain even does anything anymore and Schenn talking about guys only caring about themselves makes me think it was ROR. Team got better without him

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:29 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:32 pm This all just reads of a toxic locker room this season.

We read that different I guess as Tarasenko wasn’t the captain. Army saying he doesn’t know if a Captain even does anything anymore and Schenn talking about guys only caring about themselves makes me think it was ROR. Team got better without him
That's a good point and it really puts O'Reilly in a bad light if that is the case. He sucked this season and if if he was complaining to Armstrong through his agent about getting just 15 minutes a game he only has to look in the mirror to find who to blame.

As far as in the locker room I still think there was a lot of tension with Tarasenko. And Kyrou (specifically his upcoming contract) didn't help matters.

So hard to say. I don’t think I can go there about ROR. I don’t think any of that needed to be said. The team just wasn’t good enough. It’s like I always say, when you win, you look good. When you lose you look bad. The very team that won the Cup had character issues and was blowing up and that all changed cause they started winning. This team just never got going.

BillP wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:35 am

So hard to say. I don’t think I can go there about ROR. I don’t think any of that needed to be said. The team just wasn’t good enough. It’s like I always say, when you win, you look good. When you lose you look bad. The very team that won the Cup had character issues and was blowing up and that all changed cause they started winning. This team just never got going.
Absolutely, the old adage "winning cures everything" holds true.

Other noteworthy quotes from Army is don't expect them to be a big player in free agency and that their two late 1st round picks are very much open for business. Blues looking for players in their mid-late 20s with at least 3 year term on a contract. It's clear he wants to work to overhaul this defense.

After reading a piece JR just wrote, I assume Army is frustrated with Kyrou for sure, and any combination of the other 18-25 year olds on the roster. A couple quotes:
“I need to know what’s going on with a 21-year-old high-level athlete and so I have to find out who’s dealing with high-level athletes from 18-25.
“There’s a group of players, and I’m not saying they’re bad or they’re wrong, but they’ll play 18 minutes (in a game) to get an 18-second shift that can go on YouTube and get a million likes and think that that was a good night,
The 18-25 year olds on the roster at the moment are Neighbours, Toropchenko, Thomas, Kyrou and Brown. I think some of that was clearly directed at Kyrou and Brown, with the difference being that Brown doesn't really offer any positives to offset the headaches and can easily removed from this roster this summer. Torophchencko at least seemed to work his ass off, so I assume none of those comments are directed at him, but I'd believe it if you'd told me it was any combination of the others.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:38 am After reading a piece JR just wrote, I assume Army is frustrated with Kyrou for sure, and any combination of the other 18-25 year olds on the roster. A couple quotes:
“I need to know what’s going on with a 21-year-old high-level athlete and so I have to find out who’s dealing with high-level athletes from 18-25.
“There’s a group of players, and I’m not saying they’re bad or they’re wrong, but they’ll play 18 minutes (in a game) to get an 18-second shift that can go on YouTube and get a million likes and think that that was a good night,
The 18-25 year olds on the roster at the moment are Neighbours, Toropchenko, Thomas, Kyrou and Brown. I think some of that was clearly directed at Kyrou and Brown, with the difference being that Brown doesn't really offer any positives to offset the headaches and can easily removed from this roster this summer. Torophchencko at least seemed to work his ass off, so I assume none of those comments are directed at him, but I'd believe it if you'd told me it was any combination of the others.
Kyrou is paid to score goals and has turned himself into a damn near 40 goal scorer as a 2nd round pick. I'm on his side in this.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:08 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:38 am After reading a piece JR just wrote, I assume Army is frustrated with Kyrou for sure, and any combination of the other 18-25 year olds on the roster. A couple quotes:
Kyrou is paid to score goals and has turned himself into a damn near 40 goal scorer as a 2nd round pick. I'm on his side in this.
Totally get that, but who else does that line about the 18 second highlight vs. the other 18 minutes apply to? Fair or unfair I just think it's pretty clear that's who Armstrong was talking about. I think he improved as the year went on in terms of the complete game, but there's still a ways to go. He's not alone in the inconsistent effort group. He's got the stuff that can't be taught or developed, so I'm still high on him.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:16 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:08 pm

Totally get that, but who else does that line about the 18 second highlight vs. the other 18 minutes apply to? Fair or unfair I just think it's pretty clear that's who Armstrong was talking about. I think he improved as the year went on in terms of the complete game, but there's still a ways to go. He's not alone in the inconsistent effort group. He's got the stuff that can't be taught or developed, so I'm still high on him.
Nick Leddy