Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

FYI, that guy is the new Blues beat writer for the Post Dispatch. Tom Timmerman is dropping off with Jim Thomas remaining. I assume Timmerman is moving to the MLS team beat but not sure.

DeFranks previously was on the Stars beat for some outlet in Dallas.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Was listening to 32 Thoughts podcast yesterday, and Friedman mentioned that he expected the Blues to move Barbashev and Mikkola. Both are UFAs and generally fit the needs most contending teams try to fill at the deadline. This was recorded before the news about the Tarasenko/ROR injuries broke as well. We'd mentioned on here before that they make sense as trade pieces given their contract status, but if they get moved sooner rather than later...man is this roster going to be thin.

Personally I'd think there's value in holding onto them until closer to the deadline since prices can get silly. On the other hand the two biggest trade pieces just got injured, so who knows if Armstrong wants to risk it with these two as well.

In reading the ESPN article, it sounds like Army will trade both ROR and Tarasenko if the record indicates to do so, and I imagine it will.

With that said, I think they keep both Barbashev and Mikkola. Barbashev is still young, he'd be a decent resign at a good price, and I don't think Army wants to reassemble this team as a crash and burn squad. He will try and smooth the transition best he can and rebuild this team at the same time. With that said, the Blues better hit good on their next couple drafts. Real good. Or else Army won't have much of a choice in trying to smooth this or not..................

BillP. wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:23 am In reading the ESPN article, it sounds like Army will trade both ROR and Tarasenko if the record indicates to do so, and I imagine it will.

With that said, I think they keep both Barbashev and Mikkola. Barbashev is still young, he'd be a decent resign at a good price, and I don't think Army wants to reassemble this team as a crash and burn squad. He will try and smooth the transition best he can and rebuild this team at the same time. With that said, the Blues better hit good on their next couple drafts. Real good. Or else Army won't have much of a choice in trying to smooth this or not..................
Being ROR will be re-evaulated in 6 weeks and the deadline is 8 weeks away, it's weird to think but its plausible he's played his last game in a Bluenote. If so, what a legendary impact he made

With regard to Ivan, it really just depends what he, his agent, and I guess another team value you him at. Is someone willing to pay him for his 26 goal / 60 point season or is his market more of the 15 goal scorer he's otherwise been?
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:28 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:23 am In reading the ESPN article, it sounds like Army will trade both ROR and Tarasenko if the record indicates to do so, and I imagine it will.

Being ROR will be re-evaulated in 6 weeks and the deadline is 8 weeks away, it's weird to think but its plausible he's played his last game in a Bluenote. If so, what a legendary impact he made

With regard to Ivan, it really just depends what he, his agent, and I guess another team value you him at. Is someone willing to pay him for his 26 goal / 60 point season or is his market more of the 15 goal scorer he's otherwise been?
Exactly right on Barbashev. He's been a tremendous asset for the Blues over the course of his career. I just have to imagine somebody is going to pay him like a 60 point guy, and I'd rather have a draft pick or whatever Armstrong can get for him than nothing at all.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:44 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:28 am

Exactly right on Barbashev. He's been a tremendous asset for the Blues over the course of his career. I just have to imagine somebody is going to pay him like a 60 point guy, and I'd rather have a draft pick or whatever Armstrong can get for him than nothing at all.
It's kind of exciting times to be a Blues fan. Army has the chance to completely remake this team and give it an identity that it has lacked all year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:28 am Being ROR will be re-evaulated in 6 weeks and the deadline is 8 weeks away, it's weird to think but its plausible he's played his last game in a Bluenote. If so, what a legendary impact he made

It's kind of exciting times to be a Blues fan. Army has the chance to completely remake this team and give it an identity that it has lacked all year.

What? St. Louis Coyotes? Can't wait!!!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:10 pm

The Blues are set up far better than the Coyotes. A 1 year retool is not the worst thing that could happen to this organization. I hated the roster construction coming into the year and this is a chance to reset it.

BillP. wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: It's kind of exciting times to be a Blues fan. Army has the chance to completely remake this team and give it an identity that it has lacked all year.

The Blues are set up far better than the Coyotes. A 1 year retool is not the worst thing that could happen to this organization. I hated the roster construction coming into the year and this is a chance to reset it.
Actually it's just fascinating to see how Army handles this. If he can take what he has in front of him now and do another Houdini and have this team a Cup contender in 2 years again, that would be amazing. So far Army has been brilliant with his back to the wall, so from that standpoint, this is very interesting to follow in how it all unfolds. Go Army!! Have faith, he can do it again!!

Tarasenko asked for a trade in the past. He had his best year ever last season and was at his highest value. We are now sitting with him injured and unsigned for next season. I really can't figure out what Armstrong has been waiting for.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:40 pm Tarasenko asked for a trade in the past. He had his best year ever last season and was at his highest value. We are now sitting with him injured and unsigned for next season. I really can't figure out what Armstrong has been waiting for.
He’s been at a BBQ with Pleau

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:17 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:03 pmEvery day we inch closer and closer to a full russian squad

It's all fun and games until Putin calls them home to help replace the shit-load of kids that he's gotten slaughtered in his world conquest. There ya go...I've said it.
Gretzky & Putin have a deal: Russia will continue their "special military operation" in Ukraine until Ovechkin gets within 10 goals of The Great One's "unbreakable" record. Then Putin will conscript all Russian NHL & AHL hockey players, bring them back to Russia, and make them build ice rinks-slash-munition dumps lined up along the battle front. Gretzky in turn has promised to organize & fund a tour of what's left of those rinks by a team of NHL old timers, with Ovi dropping the ceremonial puck before each exhibition which will feature the ageless Putin scoring a quadruple hat trick against the crotchety arthritic CTE-riddled NHL-ers while recording a shutout in nets. That timeline gives the Blues the rest of this season to get their Russian shit together & win another :!: Cup.

NOW it's been said. Carry on with this thread.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:17 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:17 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:03 pmEvery day we inch closer and closer to a full russian squad

It's all fun and games until Putin calls them home to help replace the shit-load of kids that he's gotten slaughtered in his world conquest. There ya go...I've said it.
Gretzky & Putin have a deal: Russia will continue their "special military operation" in Ukraine until Ovechkin gets within 10 goals of The Great One's "unbreakable" record. Then Putin will conscript all Russian NHL & AHL hockey players, bring them back to Russia, and make them build ice rinks-slash-munition dumps lined up along the battle front. Gretzky in turn has promised to organize & fund a tour of what's left of those rinks by a team of NHL old timers, with Ovi dropping the ceremonial puck before each exhibition which will feature the ageless Putin scoring a quadruple hat trick against the crotchety arthritic CTE-riddled NHL-ers while recording a shutout in nets. That timeline gives the Blues the rest of this season to get their Russian shit together & win another :!: Cup.

NOW it's been said. Carry on with this thread.
Hahaha this got a good laugh out of me. In reality, Ovie is a well established Putin fanboy so maybe he'll even be in attendance when Ovie breaks the record.

So we're one game past the halfway point in the season. Based on points %, the Blues find themselves 6th in the division and tied for 10th in the conference. Streaky as all hell, but still technically in the hunt.
Bright spots include:
- Thomas/Kyrou/Buchenevich each averaging about a point per game.
-Acciari has provided exactly what was asked of him.
-A lot of the kids are getting playing time.
Not brightspots:
-LOL the defense
-Goaltending not great
-The kids haven't done much with said playing time.

I root for them to win every game but have removed any expectations when I turn on the TV, I just have no idea what I'm about to see. I feel like they'll be outside of the playoff picture looking in at the deadline and will sell, but they certainly are banking the points right now.

In conclusion, I have no idea about this team still. LGB.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:19 am So we're one game past the halfway point in the season. Based on points %, the Blues find themselves 6th in the division and tied for 10th in the conference. Streaky as all hell, but still technically in the hunt.
Bright spots include:
Not brightspots:
-LOL the defense
-Goaltending not great

I root for them to win every game but have removed any expectations when I turn on the TV, I just have no idea what I'm about to see. I feel like they'll be outside of the playoff picture looking in at the deadline and will sell, but they certainly are banking the points right now.

What has really bothered me has been the lack of foresight for next season. I think it has been in the back of a lot of these veteran's minds and maybe that's why their play had been so erratic.

There will be a lot of anger if Tarasenko walks for nothing after having a banner year last season.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:19 am So we're one game past the halfway point in the season. Based on points %, the Blues find themselves 6th in the division and tied for 10th in the conference. Streaky as all hell, but still technically in the hunt.
Bright spots include:
Not brightspots:
-LOL the defense
-Goaltending not great

What has really bothered me has been the lack of foresight for next season. I think it has been in the back of a lot of these veteran's minds and maybe that's why their play had been so erratic.

There will be a lot of anger if Tarasenko walks for nothing after having a banner year last season.
Even if the Blues are in a playoff spot, I'd be shocked if Tarasenko isn't traded around the deadline. Army will hold onto UFAs if he thinks he can sign them, but is happy to flip them if he doesn't think he can. In this case there's no guesswork.