Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:43 pm We have a good old fashion source off!

probably went something like this....
Doug to Ivan's agent:
"Gonna start working on contracts... what are you guys gonna be looking for?"
Ivan"s agent:
"8 X 8.25"
Doug:
"Fuck You!"
Ivan's agent (leaks to the [press):
"The Blues have informed us that Ivan won't be back with the Blues next year."

Alex Ferrario said tarasenko is the best shooter on the market and now that horvat is gone ROR is the best center soo maybe we get a pick or prospect?
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:37 pm Alex Ferrario said tarasenko is the best shooter on the market and now that horvat is gone ROR is the best center soo maybe we get a pick or prospect?
I think Timo Meier will be in higher demand, but will also command more in return. Still, Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev, and even Acciari for a bottom-6 role could get us something decent back in return.

RAFritchey wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:21 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:37 pm Alex Ferrario said tarasenko is the best shooter on the market and now that horvat is gone ROR is the best center soo maybe we get a pick or prospect?
I think Timo Meier will be in higher demand, but will also command more in return. Still, Tarasenko, ROR, Barbashev, and even Acciari for a bottom-6 role could get us something decent back in return.
Yep. All those guys will be in play. Maybe even Mikkola. Greiss too.

I would imagine the asking price is a 1st and prospect or 2nd and multiple prospects.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
I would imagine the asking price is a 1st and prospect or 2nd and multiple prospects.
I know Army will ask for the moon but he can't kill a deal just cause he doesn't get what he wants, can he? If they offer you a 1st take it!

I mean if he holds out and see's if he can do better elsewhere, I guess there's a chance any previous offer gets pulled off the table.

Hope he doesn't blow this.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wild that three of these are Blues.

My guess Vlady to Rangers. ROR to Avs. Barby to Carolina.

I've been saying Vlady to the Kings pretty much all year. I'll stick with that.....................

BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 am

I've been saying Vlady to the Kings pretty much all year. I'll stick with that.....................
They've got a couple of good D prospects in Clarke and Spence so I'd be happy with that swap if it were to happy. Clarke was 8th overall in the '21 draft.

BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:41 am
I know Army will ask for the moon but he can't kill a deal just cause he doesn't get what he wants, can he? If they offer you a 1st take it!

I mean if he holds out and see's if he can do better elsewhere, I guess there's a chance any previous offer gets pulled off the table.

Hope he doesn't blow this.
You hold out to the last minute if you have to and at that point take the best offer but I think it's going to be a sellers market just because so many teams are still in and the players available outside of what the Blues have and then Patrick Kane aren't huge needle movers.

It's exciting times ahead as a Blues fan! I don't think Army will let us down. He rarely does when it comes to trades.

BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:43 am

They've got a couple of good D prospects in Clarke and Spence so I'd be happy with that swap if it were to happy. Clarke was 8th overall in the '21 draft.
You called it..................Tarasenko is heading to NY. Just reported on Yahoo 10 minutes ago...................

BillP. wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:53 pm

You called it..................Tarasenko is heading to NY. Just reported on Yahoo 10 minutes ago...................
Him and the Rangers just made too much sense to not happen. Im sure Panarin had some say in it as well. I fully expect him to re-sign there. Lets see if I can go 3 for 3 tho

More Snuggie love. Thomas, Kyrou, Snugg, and Bolduc could be a REALLY good foundation for the Blues top 6. If Neighbours can develop too, look out.

https://theathletic.com/4163836/2023/02 ... an-cooley/

15. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, 18 (St. Louis Blues — No. 23, 2022)
July 2022 rank: Not ranked

One of the hottest prospects in hockey, Snuggerud has gone from B-plus prospect to A-grade prospect (or close) this season.

Every piece of his game has elevated this year. Plus-shot (had that already). Plus-skill. Good enough skater. Hard on pucks. Hunts pucks. Consistently impactful. Finding ways to release and move as soon as he has made his play so that he can get open for the next one again. It’s all there right now. Add in an extra step from a standstill and he’s on an exciting path.

We all should have seen it coming, maybe, too. When I polled last year’s U.S. NTDP players for their most underrated, he was basically the unanimous answer. Given that he played on a line with Logan Cooley and Cutter Gauthier, and a team that also featured other top forwards including speedy Frank Nazar and the likable Rutger McGroarty, him flying under the radar shouldn’t surprise.

Snuggerud is a well-rounded three-zone player with a versatile offensive game who works as hard as anyone out there. His head is always up and on a swivel, even in congested areas. He’s good below the goal line and makes a lot of low-to-high plays into the slot to find cutting teammates for chances. He sticks with the play and follows shots to the net to get to rebounds, playing a determined forechecking game. He’s got a dangerous one-timer and catch-and-release wrister but he doesn’t tunnel-vision for his shot, he sees the ice well, and he can make plays back against the grain. He’s got good hands, which help him make outside-in plays to beat defenders one-on-one more than he gets credit for. He uses space well and makes a lot of plays off of his backhand.

And on top of it all he’s also got a pro frame to build upon and a June birthday that gives him good runway. With the right development, there’s a goal-scoring top-six winger there.

43. Zachary Bolduc, LW, 19 (St. Louis Blues — No. 17, 2021)

The QMJHL’s second-most productive player in points per game behind only Dumais, Bolduc’s looking like a player who won QMJHL Rookie of the Year, was named the QMJHL’s top prospect in the 2021 draft, was drafted in the first round, and is on a path to the NHL. That’s particularly notable after he came through the pandemic, a pair of injuries, and an appendectomy in a short period of time.

He’s a kid whose skill and finesse have really impressed me in the last couple of seasons. He makes plays with such ease off the flank with the puck on his stick, especially off of cuts and as a passer. He has developed some real cleverness to his game, slipping away from checks and sliding pucks under sticks at speed. He’s also an underrated two-way winger who impresses on the penalty kill. And then he’s got a dangerous mid-range shot (which he gets off quickly and which also features a useful one-timer) and good overall skating which allows him to get good looks for himself and finish on them. I see a talented winger who can play on or off the puck effectively and create offense in a variety of ways. He’s got projectable second-line upside.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: More Snuggie love. Thomas, Kyrou, Snugg, and Bolduc could be a REALLY good foundation for the Blues top 6. If Neighbours can develop too, look out.

https://theathletic.com/4163836/2023/02 ... an-cooley/

15. Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, 18 (St. Louis Blues — No. 23, 2022)

One of the hottest prospects in hockey, Snuggerud has gone from B-plus prospect to A-grade prospect (or close) this season.

Every piece of his game has elevated this year. Plus-shot (had that already). Plus-skill. Good enough skater. Hard on pucks. Hunts pucks. Consistently impactful. Finding ways to release and move as soon as he has made his play so that he can get open for the next one again. It’s all there right now. Add in an extra step from a standstill and he’s on an exciting path.

We all should have seen it coming, maybe, too. When I polled last year’s U.S. NTDP players for their most underrated, he was basically the unanimous answer. Given that he played on a line with Logan Cooley and Cutter Gauthier, and a team that also featured other top forwards including speedy Frank Nazar and the likable Rutger McGroarty, him flying under the radar shouldn’t surprise.

Snuggerud is a well-rounded three-zone player with a versatile offensive game who works as hard as anyone out there. His head is always up and on a swivel, even in congested areas. He’s good below the goal line and makes a lot of low-to-high plays into the slot to find cutting teammates for chances. He sticks with the play and follows shots to the net to get to rebounds, playing a determined forechecking game. He’s got a dangerous one-timer and catch-and-release wrister but he doesn’t tunnel-vision for his shot, he sees the ice well, and he can make plays back against the grain. He’s got good hands, which help him make outside-in plays to beat defenders one-on-one more than he gets credit for. He uses space well and makes a lot of plays off of his backhand.

And on top of it all he’s also got a pro frame to build upon and a June birthday that gives him good runway. With the right development, there’s a goal-scoring top-six winger there.

43. Zachary Bolduc, LW, 19 (St. Louis Blues — No. 17, 2021)

The QMJHL’s second-most productive player in points per game behind only Dumais, Bolduc’s looking like a player who won QMJHL Rookie of the Year, was named the QMJHL’s top prospect in the 2021 draft, was drafted in the first round, and is on a path to the NHL. That’s particularly notable after he came through the pandemic, a pair of injuries, and an appendectomy in a short period of time.

He’s a kid whose skill and finesse have really impressed me in the last couple of seasons. He makes plays with such ease off the flank with the puck on his stick, especially off of cuts and as a passer. He has developed some real cleverness to his game, slipping away from checks and sliding pucks under sticks at speed. He’s also an underrated two-way winger who impresses on the penalty kill. And then he’s got a dangerous mid-range shot (which he gets off quickly and which also features a useful one-timer) and good overall skating which allows him to get good looks for himself and finish on them. I see a talented winger who can play on or off the puck effectively and create offense in a variety of ways. He’s got projectable second-line upside.
That's great news. If these guys pan out like we hope and read about, then the Blues did exactly what they HAVE to do, and that is hit on their draft picks.

Let's say if these 2 guys ended up being Rattie and Jaskin, we'd be fucked.

The re-tool/rebuild really won't be fun to watch here until these 2 guys (Bolduc & Snuggles) make it up here and play.

Right now the Blues are sitting in the 8th draft slot assuming they don't win lottery. If they, along with the other teams in a similar boat, make the expected trades, I could see them finishing anywhere in the 6th-10th slots. The teams in those slots in order (best points % to worst at the moment) are:
Ottawa
Philly
Blues
Montreal
Vancouver

I think the Blues have more to give away than most of those teams, but are still going to be competitive enough to avoid dropping into the bottom 5. It's kind of depressing to see when you look at it, but they barely beat the Coyotes on home ice without their best player. Here's hoping they crush the draft and find a way to make some tweaks on the fly this summer.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Right now the Blues are sitting in the 8th draft slot assuming they don't win lottery. If they, along with the other teams in a similar boat, make the expected trades, I could see them finishing anywhere in the 6th-10th slots. The teams in those slots in order (best points % to worst at the moment) are:
Ottawa
Philly
Blues
Montreal
Vancouver

I think the Blues have more to give away than most of those teams, but are still going to be competitive enough to avoid dropping into the bottom 5. It's kind of depressing to see when you look at it, but they barely beat the Coyotes on home ice without their best player. Here's hoping they crush the draft and find a way to make some tweaks on the fly this summer.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:55 pm Right now the Blues are sitting in the 8th draft slot assuming they don't win lottery. If they, along with the other teams in a similar boat, make the expected trades, I could see them finishing anywhere in the 6th-10th slots. The teams in those slots in order (best points % to worst at the moment) are:
Ottawa
Philly
Blues
Montreal
Vancouver

It's honestly kind of exciting to think about the player this team has the chance to add to an already very good and very close to NHL level forward prospects. Especially if they find themselves with a top 2 pick. Current odds 6 and 6.4%.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:12 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:55 pm Right now the Blues are sitting in the 8th draft slot assuming they don't win lottery. If they, along with the other teams in a similar boat, make the expected trades, I could see them finishing anywhere in the 6th-10th slots. The teams in those slots in order (best points % to worst at the moment) are:
Ottawa
Philly
Blues
Montreal
Vancouver

It's honestly kind of exciting to think about the player this team has the chance to add to an already very good and very close to NHL level forward prospects. Especially if they find themselves with a top 2 pick. Current odds 6 and 6.4%.
I wonder if they use some of the draft capital they end up with to trade for a D. Lord knows they need it. Going to be a highly speculative spring on this board.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:23 pm
Ottawa
Philly
Blues
Montreal
Vancouver

I wonder if they use some of the draft capital they end up with to trade for a D. Lord knows they need it. Going to be a highly speculative spring on this board.
Krug, Parayko, Leddy, Faulk, Scandella....they already have so many years and dollars invested in 5 defensemen that outside of Faulk, all are pretty bad at their job. I doubt they bring in another high priced guy. Hopefully they can develop one.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:09 pm

Krug, Parayko, Leddy, Faulk, Scandella....they already have so many years and dollars invested in 5 defensemen that outside of Faulk, all are pretty bad at their job. I doubt they bring in another high priced guy. Hopefully they can develop one.
I mean somehow some way one or two of those guys disappear before next fall, right? I don't have any ideas for who or how, but still, there's no path back to contention with that group.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:16 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:09 pm

I mean somehow some way one or two of those guys disappear before next fall, right? I don't have any ideas for who or how, but still, there's no path back to contention with that group.
Hopefully. but Parayko, Krug, and somehow Leddy all have full NTC at least for a couple more years.