Re: Blues 2022-2023 season thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:49 pm Something to look forward to. https://theathletic.com/4095247/2023/01 ... directed=1

Which NHL prospects saw their stock rise in the first half of the season?

Jimmy Snuggerud, RW, St. Louis
Snuggerud has been great this season, being a top scorer in college and then at the world juniors. Snuggerud was a top line forward with the USNTDP in his draft season but he was never *the guy* on that team. In fact, four other forwards on that team were picked ahead of him. Snuggerud was always viewed as a skilled goal scorer who worked hard but there were questions about his foot speed and how dynamic he was offensively. He’s shown this season he has another level of offense while still being one of the harder workers on the ice. Snuggerud is trending to being a strong top-six winger.
Yeah, recent updates about him are great. We need a home run pick, let’s hope he turns out to be one.

Blues are currently in the 8th draft slot based on points %. I'm not certain they'll sink much lower (or higher if that's your perspective) even after trading off pieces since I assume we'll start seeing a lot more backup goalies. Teams like Ottawa and Buffalo always seem to have stronger second halves of the season when they're already out of the playoff picture that deludes fans into thinking "next year we ride!"

Odds of winning draft lottery for 8 slot are 6%.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:46 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:03 am I assume this is just to get the kids some game action over the long break:
I am just looking forward to not having to watch this team play for a week
You don't have to watch them ever. You get to.
T.C made me sign a minimum games watched requirement to post here. It’s literally in my contract
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:44 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:46 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 am

I am just looking forward to not having to watch this team play for a week
You don't have to watch them ever. You get to.
T.C made me sign a minimum games watched requirement to post here. It’s literally in my contract
T.C. CAN'T READ!!! HOW DARE YOU MOCK HIS DISABILITY!

I haven’t been able to watch a complete game in years. So yeah, you GET to.

Of course, it seems like this team also hasn’t played a complete game in years, so maybe no one has.
— Jack Handy

T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:21 amI haven’t been able to watch a complete game in years. So yeah, you GET to. ...
You need a higher tab limit at your favorite bar. Maybe pay it down occasionally, so you can watch all 3 periods (and the odd OT).

T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:21 am I haven’t been able to watch a complete game in years. So yeah, you GET to.

Of course, it seems like this team also hasn’t played a complete game in years, so maybe no one has.
— Jack Handy
Not to prod, but is it a principle thing causing you not to watch? I have no cable and one separate streaming service because I hardly watch TV. The $20 a month for the Bally app is exorbitant in comparison to other apps, but doable given the lack of other entertainment services. Or is it blackouts?

FSMW was on every provider's lineup. They had that. Decided to throw their dicks on the table and ask for way more money than any provider made by carrying them, which then brought them down to one or two providers. Rather than understand the purpose of their network was to service the teams and the fans and back off ridiculous demands, they decided to play chicken with the providers and not give an inch. Once they were exiled from nearly everywhere, they again decided to completely fuck people by launching the most expensive streaming service available with the least amount of content. So yeah, fuck them. More importantly, fuck the NHL for allowing some RSN to hold nearly the entire league hostage (I believe Sinclair holds exclusivity on 23 markets). I hope they go bankrupt, suck Sinclair down with them, and the NHL completely does away with RSNs, simply using the existing infrastructure by removing blackouts. See further ranting here.

T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:12 pm FSMW was on every provider's lineup. They had that. Decided to throw their dicks on the table and ask for way more money than any provider made by carrying them, which then brought them down to one or two providers. Rather than understand the purpose of their network was to service the teams and the fans and back off ridiculous demands, they decided to play chicken with the providers and not give an inch. Once they were exiled from nearly everywhere, they again decided to completely fuck people by launching the most expensive streaming service available with the least amount of content. So yeah, fuck them. More importantly, fuck the NHL for allowing some RSN to hold nearly the entire league hostage (I believe Sinclair holds exclusivity on 23 markets). I hope they go bankrupt, suck Sinclair down with them, and the NHL completely does away with RSNs, simply using the existing infrastructure by removing blackouts. See further ranting here.
I feel like the NHL has done everything that they could to drive me away my give-a-shit. Playing hide-and-seek between broadcasts and fans seems like a poor business model to me. The crazy money that's required to be a fan anymore, just isn't worth it. I don't know about ya'all, but I don't need big-time production studios and 4-person panels to tell me what I just watched. I don't need 4-man officiating crews to add more penalties and power-plays to the games. I haven't watched more than a handful of games this year... only because they were on the TV at my hometown bar... and my life is no worse for it.

yeah. and, because i haven't been able to watch, i have not yet begun to bitch about the digital ads and ads on uniforms... read the comments on the twitter thread i posted in the other thread. pretty much every single one mentions blackouts, digital ads, or both.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pm
T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:12 pm FSMW was on every provider's lineup. They had that. Decided to throw their dicks on the table and ask for way more money than any provider made by carrying them, which then brought them down to one or two providers. Rather than understand the purpose of their network was to service the teams and the fans and back off ridiculous demands, they decided to play chicken with the providers and not give an inch. Once they were exiled from nearly everywhere, they again decided to completely fuck people by launching the most expensive streaming service available with the least amount of content. So yeah, fuck them. More importantly, fuck the NHL for allowing some RSN to hold nearly the entire league hostage (I believe Sinclair holds exclusivity on 23 markets). I hope they go bankrupt, suck Sinclair down with them, and the NHL completely does away with RSNs, simply using the existing infrastructure by removing blackouts. See further ranting here.
I feel like the NHL has done everything that they could to drive me away my give-a-shit. Playing hide-and-seek between broadcasts and fans seems like a poor business model to me. The crazy money that's required to be a fan anymore, just isn't worth it. I don't know about ya'all, but I don't need big-time production studios and 4-person panels to tell me what I just watched. I don't need 4-man officiating crews to add more penalties and power-plays to the games. I haven't watched more than a handful of games this year... only because they were on the TV at my hometown bar... and my life is no worse for it.
It will never cease to amaze me that it is far easier for those of us that live out of market to see 95% of Blues games than it is for a large segment of in market fans. There are surely many guilty parties, but hopefully whatever comes after the Bally's debacle ends won't be worse. It's so stupid and so sad, because despite all of it's warts, the game of hockey at the highest level is still super cool to watch.

T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:40 pm yeah. and, because i haven't been able to watch, i have not yet begun to bitch about the digital ads and ads on uniforms... read the comments on the twitter thread i posted in the other thread. pretty much every single one mentions blackouts, digital ads, or both.
I wish they'd get rid of the digital ads that have movement. It's very distracting. Static ads are fine, except when players start glitching out along the boards and disappearing like Marty's siblings in BTTF.

Fuck the jersey ads forever.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pmI feel like the NHL has done everything that they could to drive me away my give-a-shit. Playing hide-and-seek between broadcasts and fans seems like a poor business model to me. The crazy money that's required to be a fan anymore, just isn't worth it. I don't know about ya'all, but I don't need big-time production studios and 4-person panels to tell me what I just watched. I don't need 4-man officiating crews to add more penalties and power-plays to the games. I haven't watched more than a handful of games this year... only because they were on the TV at my hometown bar... and my life is no worse for it.
Yeah-but ... You have The Cap'n & his "How many posts does it take to screw a skank ho' " O.T. thread to keep you entertained between shots of BBQ soaked in homemade grain alcohol. The rest of us still long for the KPLR broadcast days, when we would get up off the couch once in a while to adjust the rabbit ears.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:37 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pmI feel like the NHL has done everything that they could to drive me away my give-a-shit. Playing hide-and-seek between broadcasts and fans seems like a poor business model to me. The crazy money that's required to be a fan anymore, just isn't worth it. I don't know about ya'all, but I don't need big-time production studios and 4-person panels to tell me what I just watched. I don't need 4-man officiating crews to add more penalties and power-plays to the games. I haven't watched more than a handful of games this year... only because they were on the TV at my hometown bar... and my life is no worse for it.
Yeah-but ... You have The Cap'n & his "How many posts does it take to screw a skank ho' " O.T. thread to keep you entertained between shots of BBQ soaked in homemade grain alcohol. The rest of us still long for the KPLR broadcast days, when we would get up off the couch once in a while to adjust the rabbit ears.
Those were the days!

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 am
Those were the days!
Aren't those the days playoff games were PPV?

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:41 am
Those were the days!
It was good!! 8-)

Just doing some hockey content absorbing this morning and I've now read two places that predict ROR will end up with the Avalanche by the trade deadline. Makes sense all around. They have the need, the cap space, and their 1st round pick(not a great prospect pool) to make it happen. I don't remember ROR's relationship with the Avs when he left the first time but I'm sure it's water on the bridge

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 am Just doing some hockey content absorbing this morning and I've now read two places that predict ROR will end up with the Avalanche by the trade deadline. Makes sense all around. They have the need, the cap space, and their 1st round pick(not a great prospect pool) to make it happen. I don't remember ROR's relationship with the Avs when he left the first time but I'm sure it's water on the bridge
I'm going to try to do this with 0 fact checking for shits and grins, but if I recall correctly some of the ROR/Avs story is outright hilarious. As I remember it, He was an RFA coming out of the 2012-13 lockout. He was playing somewhere in Europe as many were, but had leverage to stay there making money since he wasn't under contract in NHL, and he and the Avs were fairly far apart in negotiations. Eventually he signed an offer sheet with the Flames for 2 years, and the Avs matched. The funny part is that for some unique reason, if the Avs hadn't matched, ROR would've had to go through waivers before he could suit up for the Flames, and as a very good young player, there's no way he would've cleared. The REALLY funny part is that even if another team claimed him before he got to Calgary, the Flames still would've had to give up their 1st and 3rd round picks to the Avs. I was super bummed this didn't end up happening because it would've been an all time front office blunder.

Anyway yeah, it's probably all water under the bridge, but I always enjoy revisiting that story.