Re: Blues Offseason News Thread

BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:14 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:44 pm

True, but he's the same age as Robert Thomas. That would be a more apt comparison.

I think he needs a real chance but it's not going to go beyond this season if he doesn't produce
My point was, this isn’t his last chance be it with the Blues or another team but hopefully he doesn’t need any more.

How many shots did Ty Rattie get who doesn’t have nearly the skill of Kostin.

Ty Rattie was garbage. Big goal scorer with the Portland in WHL and the guy had literally no NHL caliber shot at all. None. Zero. Nada. So Charmin soft.

Like I said before, all Kostin has to do is want it and give 110% all the time. He does that, and he will be good. Whether it's a 4th line role or a top 9. With that size and shot, he can be extremely serviceable.
I'm not sure it's that simple. If giving a shit was all it took, I don't know why it would suddenly show up after knocking around in the minors for years. If I had to guess, I'd say he doesnt have NHL level hockey sense. He hasn't played enough minutes for a fan like me to notice, but I'm sure the coaches would have given him more if he could handle them.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:00 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:14 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

My point was, this isn’t his last chance be it with the Blues or another team but hopefully he doesn’t need any more.

How many shots did Ty Rattie get who doesn’t have nearly the skill of Kostin.

Ty Rattie was garbage. Big goal scorer with the Portland in WHL and the guy had literally no NHL caliber shot at all. None. Zero. Nada. So Charmin soft.

Like I said before, all Kostin has to do is want it and give 110% all the time. He does that, and he will be good. Whether it's a 4th line role or a top 9. With that size and shot, he can be extremely serviceable.
I'm not sure it's that simple. If giving a shit was all it took, I don't know why it would suddenly show up after knocking around in the minors for years. If I had to guess, I'd say he doesnt have NHL level hockey sense. He hasn't played enough minutes for a fan like me to notice, but I'm sure the coaches would have given him more if he could handle them.
A person could argue he hasn't been given a sustained chance to prove himself in the NHL but he has been given that chance in the minors.

Hopefully, the deep playoff run they had helps his development.

Corey Pronman is doing his annual ranking of each team's young talent/prospects. Basically it's anyone under 23. The Blues checked in at 29th. Crucially guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Perunovich and even Toropchenko have aged out, and there isn't a ton of depth behind the last few first rounders.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:01 pm Corey Pronman is doing his annual ranking of each team's young talent/prospects. Basically it's anyone under 23. The Blues checked in at 29th. Crucially guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Perunovich and even Toropchenko have aged out, and there isn't a ton of depth behind the last few first rounders.

Neighbours, Bolduc, Snuggles up front, Ellis and Hofer in goal and maybe Loof on D. That's it. That's our prospect pool.

BluesSK wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:01 pm Corey Pronman is doing his annual ranking of each team's young talent/prospects. Basically it's anyone under 23. The Blues checked in at 29th. Crucially guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Perunovich and even Toropchenko have aged out, and there isn't a ton of depth behind the last few first rounders.

Neighbours, Bolduc, Snuggles up front, Ellis and Hofer in goal and maybe Loof on D. That's it. That's our prospect pool.
Not a problem. If push comes to shove, Army will resign Berglund, Sobotka and Lehtera and do it all over again ;)
Army's got it under control 8-)

This is as bare of a pipeline as the Blues have had in awhile. It's a catch 22 cause I always want them to improve at the deadline but also stop trading away picks. They haven't picked in the 2nd round since 2019 and that year they didn't have a 1st round pick. Tough to keep a steady flow of prospects when you do that.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BluesSK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:39 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:30 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:04 am

Go ahead and buy a 25 jersey if you're so inclined.
Similar thoughts to this as Tage Thompson's extension. I think both will be worth it, but I'm nervous.
Yeah. He's definitely not worth Thomas money (which I am slowly starting to accept). I do think Kyrou is worth more than Thompson but he was overpaid.
I think Kyrou has a much better chance of regularly repeating or improving on last season than Thompson. Kyrou's stats weren't built on a near doubling of his career shooting percentage. Additionally I don't think Kyrou's role is at risk of diminishing over the next few years. Thompson was nominally 1C last year, but I wonder if he holds that role long term. I think both the Kyrou and Thomas deals will look good for the Blues long term. You're getting their best years at a values dictated by a pandemic suppressed salary cap. If guys in the Neighbours and Bolduc draft years have similar breakouts in a few seasons, they're going to be signing for $11M/year.

Bigger picture for the Blues, I think locking Kyrou up brings the next season's UFAs back into focus. I think there should still be room for ROR without a major shakeup. I'm assuming Tarasenko is gone after this season based on what he's said. The good news is that this year those 2 will be playing for contracts, though it wouldn't surprise me if ROR signs an extension sometime during the season. That negotiation is going to be fascinating. Will Army let 3 captains in a row walk in their UFA year? One was definitely the right call, one too soon to tell. No idea what the two sides would be looking for, but should be fun speculating for the next 9 and a half months.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:54 am

Similar thoughts to this as Tage Thompson's extension. I think both will be worth it, but I'm nervous.
Yeah. He's definitely not worth Thomas money (which I am slowly starting to accept). I do think Kyrou is worth more than Thompson but he was overpaid.
I think Kyrou has a much better chance of regularly repeating or improving on last season than Thompson. Kyrou's stats weren't built on a near doubling of his career shooting percentage. Additionally I don't think Kyrou's role is at risk of diminishing over the next few years.Thompson was nominally 1C last year, but I wonder if he holds that role long term. I think both the Kyrou and Thomas deals will look good for the Blues long term. You're getting their best years at a values dictated by a pandemic suppressed salary cap. If guys in the Neighbours and Bolduc draft years have similar breakouts in a few seasons, they're going to be signing for $11M/year.

Bigger picture for the Blues, I think locking Kyrou up brings the next season's UFAs back into focus. I think there should still be room for ROR without a major shakeup. I'm assuming Tarasenko is gone after this season based on what he's said. The good news is that this year those 2 will be playing for contracts, though it wouldn't surprise me if ROR signs an extension sometime during the season. That negotiation is going to be fascinating. Will Army let 3 captains in a row walk in their UFA year? One was definitely the right call, one too soon to tell. No idea what the two sides would be looking for, but should be fun speculating for the next 9 and a half months.
A 40% faceoff result says he won't haha
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:04 am One of my favorite things about Blues news breaking is a national guy will do it, and JR will always piggy back off of it with a per source which is just the same source we all have, twitter. Every.single.time.

It's wild, and not just JR. Seems like none of the local guys EVER break anything. I goof on Strickland here on occaision, but he's the only one that even really tries to break news, and that's usually about STL adjacent players or former Blues, never the current team. I have a hunch that Armstrong has told JR/Korac/Thomas etc that he'll break their legs if they break anything before any deals are complete.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:54 am

I think Kyrou has a much better chance of regularly repeating or improving on last season than Thompson. Kyrou's stats weren't built on a near doubling of his career shooting percentage. Additionally I don't think Kyrou's role is at risk of diminishing over the next few years. Thompson was nominally 1C last year, but I wonder if he holds that role long term. I think both the Kyrou and Thomas deals will look good for the Blues long term. You're getting their best years at a values dictated by a pandemic suppressed salary cap. If guys in the Neighbours and Bolduc draft years have similar breakouts in a few seasons, they're going to be signing for $11M/year.

One of them is for sure gone. This team is getting really top heavy.