Re: 2022 NHL Draft thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:05 am
Matangama wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:03 am Dread, what’s funny is that another profile of him says his skating is excellent. Who knows.
Noticed that too. Pronman questions his skating while other says he has "excellent speed".
Straight-on speed is highly over-rated. It didn't help Yakupov make it in The NHL. The Blues have had a pretty fair record on drafting recently. So, I'm willing to wait and see how this group develops.

Robb_K wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:10 pm
Matangama wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:03 am Dread, what’s funny is that another profile of him says his skating is excellent. Who knows.
Noticed that too. Pronman questions his skating while other says he has "excellent speed".
Straight-on speed is highly over-rated. It didn't help Yakupov make it in The NHL. The Blues have had a pretty fair record on drafting recently. So, I'm willing to wait and see how this group develops.
Are you sure you have that much time, Robb? ;)

That’s a good point. Apparently Craig Button likes that Russian defenseman the Blues drafted. And he’s high on Snuggles.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:24 pm
Are you sure you have that much time, Robb? ;)
I'll take my chances. My father lived to 93. If I do the same, that would give me 17 more years.

I think Snuggerud has excellent upside potential. He should grow into his body through weight training and natural maturation. He'll continue to work on his skating, so his carrying the puck up ice should improve. He'll then be even deadlier, being better able to also shoot his deadly shot while on the fly. He's already got a leg up on lots of prospects by being responsible on defence. In a few years, he could be The Blues' trigger man on their 2nd Power Play Team. Today's other choices are more iffy, but IF a couple of them reach near their top end potential, they'll be productive players in the middle or lower end of the roster.

Nice move by Army to get a relatively high 3rd-Rounder for Husso, who absolutely was going to leave the team, in any case.

Now, let's see him trade Scandella and someone else to get cap space to keep Perron, and add a Top-4 defence man.

https://theathletic.com/3406434/2022/07 ... -analysis/

2022 Draft Grade: B
I don’t know if Blues fans are jumping up and down about this draft, but I like it to the extent that when I look at their first four picks, (Jimmy Snuggerud, Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, Michael Buchinger and Arseni Koromyslov) I can see the argument they could all play games. Snuggy is the name in this draft and the likeliest to play an important role, but the depth to this class isn’t too bad given they didn’t have a ton of high picks.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:16 am https://theathletic.com/3406434/2022/07 ... -analysis/

I don’t know if Blues fans are jumping up and down about this draft, but I like it to the extent that when I look at their first four picks, (Jimmy Snuggerud, Aleksanteri Kaskimaki, Michael Buchinger and Arseni Koromyslov) I can see the argument they could all play games. Snuggy is the name in this draft and the likeliest to play an important role, but the depth to this class isn’t too bad given they didn’t have a ton of high picks.
It's Snuggles or he's traded.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:54 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:16 am https://theathletic.com/3406434/2022/07 ... -analysis/

I think Snuggles is going to be a 30-40 goal scorer. If his shot is really special as claimed, and he is a character guy with a high work ethic, then yeah, he’s going to be a top 6 forward.

At worst, he sounds like a 20 goal, 45 point guy, and that ain’t all bad either if he’s a solid 2 way player.

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:11 am

I think Snuggles is going to be a 30-40 goal scorer. If his shot is really special as claimed, and he is a character guy with a high work ethic, then yeah, he’s going to be a top 6 forward.

At worst, he sounds like a 20 goal, 45 point guy, and that ain’t all bad either if he’s a solid 2 way player.
I saw Snuggs play a couple of early season games with the U18 squad at the USHL Fall Classic outside Pittsburgh last September. He had good speed on the right wing entering the O-zone with the puck, very quick & accurate passing, and paired up especially well with slick linemate Frank Nazar (No. 13 pick by the Hawks this year). After a couple of seasons with the Gophers, he should be ready to compete for a 3rd line winger spot with The Note IMO.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:02 am
BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:11 am

I saw Snuggs play a couple of early season games with the U18 squad at the USHL Fall Classic outside Pittsburgh last September. He had good speed on the right wing entering the O-zone with the puck, very quick & accurate passing, and paired up especially well with slick linemate Frank Nazar (No. 13 pick by the Hawks this year). After a couple of seasons with the Gophers, he should be ready to compete for a 3rd line winger spot with The Note IMO.
Nice! Spoken like a NHL Scout!

BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:09 am
BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:11 amI think Snuggles is going to be a 30-40 goal scorer. If his shot is really special as claimed, and he is a character guy with a high work ethic, then yeah, he’s going to be a top 6 forward.

And yet they STILL wouldn't let me get near the free buffet @ UPMC Lemieux. :(

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:29 am
BillP. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:09 am
And yet they STILL wouldn't let me get near the free buffet @ UPMC Lemieux. :(
:lol:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:32 am
Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:51 am
BluesSK wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:54 amSnuggles is living up to the hype.
And then some
As his draft day defender, I personally thank you for posting this.
He definitely has good offensive skills. But he's going to have to readjust his skating & passing to the NHL rink size after playing on the Mariucci Olympic-sized rink. Some forwards adapt well, others find their games diminished by less room to maneuver & more defensive pressure in the pros.