Re: Bally Sports Midwest expected to charge $20-$30 monthly for direct access

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 133d2.html

“The migration of sports fans from cable TV packages to streaming services has clearly been an inevitable trend that we know will force a seismic shift in the business model of all sports teams engaged with local broadcast partners,” Blues president and CEO said Chris Zimmerman said. “Finding a workable alternative to the current model would require close collaboration between the leagues and any impacted teams so we appreciate that the NHL is fully engaged on this issue.

BillP. wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:27 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 133d2.html

“The migration of sports fans from cable TV packages to streaming services has clearly been an inevitable trend that we know will force a seismic shift in the business model of all sports teams engaged with local broadcast partners,” Blues president and CEO said Chris Zimmerman said. “Finding a workable alternative to the current model would require close collaboration between the leagues and any impacted teams so we appreciate that the NHL is fully engaged on this issue.
giphy.gif
What Zimm MEANT to say ...

"Because the :!: fans found a way to cut the :!: cord, we're gonna have to fix it in a way so the little :!: :!:-ers suffer even more. This is about making money, and we need LOTS more."

T.C. wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:53 am That’s great. I hope they all collapse into themselves. Feel bad for the people who work there, but fuck Sinclair and all its entities. Not that the NHL taking over would be perfect - ESPN still bumps playoff hockey for baseball, as I hear - but at least we could watch ALL the games with no retarded blackouts.
If this is what it takes it lift blackout restrictions then it 100% is great.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/377 ... ast-rights

MLB will provide Padres games through its MLB.TV app for free through Sunday. After that, in-market fans can continue to stream games for $19.99 a month or $74.99 for the rest of the regular season on MLB.com and Padres.com (postseason games air on national platforms). Through this process, Padres games will no longer be subject to blackouts.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:32 am Tangentially related to all this...Panger's contract is up with the Blues this summer and he hasn't renewed. I think this same thing happened a couple years ago, but I wonder if money being tighter hurts the chances of a return.
Must credit Dave's a Mess:

So long Panger, and thanks for all the Holy Jumpins.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:40 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:32 am Tangentially related to all this...Panger's contract is up with the Blues this summer and he hasn't renewed. I think this same thing happened a couple years ago, but I wonder if money being tighter hurts the chances of a return.

INTERESTING! Good luck with that morally corrupt organization. I wish him good health and terrible hockey to watch.

Curious where the Blues go. In house? I'd prefer someone other than Jamie Rivers, but could live with it I guess.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:53 am

INTERESTING! Good luck with that morally corrupt organization. I wish him good health and terrible hockey to watch.

Curious where the Blues go. In house? I'd prefer someone other than Jamie Rivers, but could live with it I guess.
Hell no. How do St. Louisians put up with him?

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 am

Most don't get to watch him :lol: but definitely could see Bally going with the cheapest option since they can't pay their bills and all

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:03 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:01 am

Most don't get to watch him :lol: but definitely could see Bally going with the cheapest option since they can't pay their bills and all
He is definitely an acquired taste. I hear him on ESPN online from time to time and oh boy, his voice and takes make me feel violent.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am My guess is they call Tyson Nash and Joe Micheletti. Can't imagine they could afford to pry Micheletti away from the Rangers if they couldn't pay Panger. If no deal with Nash, I assume Rivers and Vitale are the odds on favorites.
Shocked you mention Micheletti. He’s long gone and never coming back. Insane to think we once had a TV broadcast team of Dan Kelly, Ken Wilson and Joe Micheletti back in 86 during their Cup run. Fun times back then. Can never be topped.

Damn that’s shitty news. Before he came here, I always saw him as Mr Toxic Positivity and thought that level of fakeness is super annoying. However, in the past - when I was able to watch the games - I eventually discovered that no, that really is just him. He’s a very positive guy and has a great attitude. Shitty we have to lose him like this, as I assume it’s yet another casualty of the fucking RSNs (hence being in this thread). Best of luck in Chicago, Panger - both with the shit organization, shit hockey, and daily life-risking. Some great food up there.

In case you’re wondering, I believe Hawks’ broadcasts are on NBC Sports Chicago, ESPN and TNT (no Sinclair).

I wonder who Panger is replacing? I assume Patrick Sharp. Wonder what happened there?

BillP wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:18 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am My guess is they call Tyson Nash and Joe Micheletti. Can't imagine they could afford to pry Micheletti away from the Rangers if they couldn't pay Panger. If no deal with Nash, I assume Rivers and Vitale are the odds on favorites.
Shocked you mention Micheletti. He’s long gone and never coming back. Insane to think we once had a TV broadcast team of Dan Kelly, Ken Wilson and Joe Micheletti back in 86 during their Cup run. Fun times back then. Can never be topped.
Micheletti has family in STL and will probably wind up moving back after he retires, which is why they'll call. He almost assuredly won't move back early for way less money since they couldn't afford Pang though.

T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:24 am Damn that’s shitty news. Before he came here, I always saw him as Mr Toxic Positivity and thought that level of fakeness is super annoying. However, in the past - when I was able to watch the games - I eventually discovered that no, that really is just him. He’s a very positive guy and has a great attitude. Shitty we have to lose him like this, as I assume it’s yet another casualty of the fucking RSNs (hence being in this thread). Best of luck in Chicago, Panger - both with the shit organization, shit hockey, and daily life-risking. Some great food up there.

In case you’re wondering, I believe Hawks’ broadcasts are on NBC Sports Chicago, ESPN and TNT (no Sinclair).

I wonder who Panger is replacing? I assume Patrick Sharp. Wonder what happened there?
From the story it seems there was a lot of inconsistency in their broadcast.

One of Blackhawks fans’ gripes about the team’s broadcasts this past season was the inconsistency of the radio and TV booths. They missed having Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk on TV and John Wiedeman and Troy Murray on radio. When Olczyk left to join the Seattle Kraken broadcast prior to the 2022-23 season, the Blackhawks scrambled to fill his place. Murray bounced between color commentary on the radio and on TV, Patrick Sharp would join for stretches and others filled in where necessary.

With the addition of Pang, that issue should be resolved. Pang will call a majority of the TV games alongside play-by-play broadcaster Chris Vosters. Murray will return to mainly calling games on the radio and will still occasionally be on TV. Colby Cohen will no longer be involved in the Blackhawks broadcasts.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:00 am
T.C. wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:24 am Damn that’s shitty news. Before he came here, I always saw him as Mr Toxic Positivity and thought that level of fakeness is super annoying. However, in the past - when I was able to watch the games - I eventually discovered that no, that really is just him. He’s a very positive guy and has a great attitude. Shitty we have to lose him like this, as I assume it’s yet another casualty of the fucking RSNs (hence being in this thread). Best of luck in Chicago, Panger - both with the shit organization, shit hockey, and daily life-risking. Some great food up there.

From the story it seems there was a lot of inconsistency in their broadcast.

One of Blackhawks fans’ gripes about the team’s broadcasts this past season was the inconsistency of the radio and TV booths. They missed having Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk on TV and John Wiedeman and Troy Murray on radio. When Olczyk left to join the Seattle Kraken broadcast prior to the 2022-23 season, the Blackhawks scrambled to fill his place. Murray bounced between color commentary on the radio and on TV, Patrick Sharp would join for stretches and others filled in where necessary.

With the addition of Pang, that issue should be resolved. Pang will call a majority of the TV games alongside play-by-play broadcaster Chris Vosters. Murray will return to mainly calling games on the radio and will still occasionally be on TV. Colby Cohen will no longer be involved in the Blackhawks broadcasts.
I watched a few Hawks broadcasts this year and they were rough. Colby Cohen seemed like a nice guy but was not a good broadcaster. It was always going to be rough replacing 2 fan favorites with a long history together, but now they're at least bringing in a pro with lots of polish...and gumption!

Having said all that, the Hawks can go to hell.

Dave's a mess wrote:
BillP wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:18 am
Micheletti has family in STL and will probably wind up moving back after he retires, which is why they'll call. He almost assuredly won't move back early for way less money since they couldn't afford Pang though.
Be cool if he did come back some day.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:28 am Some lunatics on Twitter actually suggested Joe Vitale. They must be either insane or related to him.

I saw Mike McKenna mentioned and that would be a really interesting choice. He's a cerebral guy and really knows the game and I'm sure he can pronounce lackadaisical.
McKenna is a great call. I don't know if he's done in game analysis, but I believe he's done a good job at intermissions. Best idea with a reasonable chance of actually happening yet. Points for SK!