Re: Bally Sports Midwest expected to charge $20-$30 monthly for direct access

T.C. wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:24 pm

can't imagine why...
The owners only have themselves to blame for lost revenues as they've allowed Bettman to run the sport into the ground every step of the way chasing an extra buck with gimmicks versus actually making the game accessible for fans.

Also, hockey games at this point have gotten damn near impossible for a family of four to afford. You're not bringing in any new fans.
Just a Russian propaganda account

The ESPN/TNT split is annoying so far. As an out-of-town fan, I've subscribed for 20 years to their variations of NHL Center Ice, NHL Gamecenter, NHL.TV, etc. Happy to pay it, and got nearly every game without blackouts. Now I can get most of the games with my ESPN+ subscription at a reasonable price, but there's no easy way to stream the TNT games unless I get a whole TV streaming package for that one channel. Usually I just pirate those games instead, but it's a hassle. I would gladly give them a couple bucks to watch those TNT games, but I'm not dropping $50/month to get a handful of Blues games and a pile of other shit I don't care about.

big d note wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:17 pm The ESPN/TNT split is annoying so far. As an out-of-town fan, I've subscribed for 20 years to their variations of NHL Center Ice, NHL Gamecenter, NHL.TV, etc. Happy to pay it, and got nearly every game without blackouts. Now I can get most of the games with my ESPN+ subscription at a reasonable price, but there's no easy way to stream the TNT games unless I get a whole TV streaming package for that one channel. Usually I just pirate those games instead, but it's a hassle. I would gladly give them a couple bucks to watch those TNT games, but I'm not dropping $50/month to get a handful of Blues games and a pile of other shit I don't care about.
I stopped chasing those games. I might go to a bar or somewhere or not... there will be more games.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:46 pm
big d note wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:17 pm The ESPN/TNT split is annoying so far. As an out-of-town fan, I've subscribed for 20 years to their variations of NHL Center Ice, NHL Gamecenter, NHL.TV, etc. Happy to pay it, and got nearly every game without blackouts. Now I can get most of the games with my ESPN+ subscription at a reasonable price, but there's no easy way to stream the TNT games unless I get a whole TV streaming package for that one channel. Usually I just pirate those games instead, but it's a hassle. I would gladly give them a couple bucks to watch those TNT games, but I'm not dropping $50/month to get a handful of Blues games and a pile of other shit I don't care about.
I stopped chasing those games. I might go to a bar or somewhere or not... there will be more games.
Why does it have to be that hard???? They are the ones trying to sell their product?

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 pm
Why does it have to be that hard???? They are the ones trying to sell their product?
Right... but they aren't selling it to you really. They are selling it to the various media vendors... The ESPN + games... TNT... those are league games...

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:23 pm

Right... but they aren't selling it to you really. They are selling it to the various media vendors... The ESPN + games... TNT... those are league games...
Without fans, they may as well be selling air... they don't seem to have a grasp of that concept.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:27 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 pmWhy does it have to be that hard???? They are the ones trying to sell their product?
Without fans, they may as well be selling air... they don't seem to have a grasp of that concept.
It satisfied President Skroob's immediate needs on Planet Spaceball. Why can't NHL fans be more like him?

Turk Sanderson wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:27 am

When have the NHL board of Governors even done anything that makes sense? TV ratings down 22%

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-na ... 36356.html

That article is being purposefully dense. Viewership down - might possibly be due to the fact that NHL handed broadcast rights for 23 teams to a regional sports network that effectively locked out most fans and is now bankrupt. Higher social media engagement = those fans taking to social media to “engage” as they continually bitch about being blocked from viewing it, the retarded digital ads, shitty announcers, etc. It’s Occam’s razor, not rocket surgery.

T.C. wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:05 am That article is being purposefully dense. Viewership down - might possibly be due to the fact that NHL handed broadcast rights for 23 teams to a regional sports network that effectively locked out most fans and is now bankrupt. Higher social media engagement = those fans taking to social media to “engage” as they continually bitch about being blocked from viewing it, the retarded digital ads, shitty announcers, etc. It’s Occam’s razor, not rocket surgery.
I read an article that mentioned if you take out the NHL games that were directly opposed to Sunday Night Football, the ratings are pretty much the same as last year. I think the 22% thing is alarmist. What should be the issue is that's a super low viewership to begin with. All the things people bitch about are 100% valid concerns, and the NHL brushes them away. The other side of the regional broadcasts is the national numbers miss out on huge markets like Boston because they still carry the national games on their local network too. Beyond the thing's you mentioned, there are broader concerns, like the NHL's outright refusal to really market it's stars. Turn on ESPN and you hear Pat Mahomes this, LeBron James that, but when it comes to hockey it's the Lightning, the Avalance, the Bruins etc. There's no easier entry point to new fans than the best players, and the NHL is probably annoyed that they see David Pastrnak trying to sell us shitty coffee and donuts every commercial break.

Yet another example of hockey being the best sport and the NHL being the worst league.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 133d2.html

Sinclair paid $10.6 billion to Disney in 2019 when it bought what at the time were called Fox Sports networks. Sports Pro, which covers athletics-related business matters, reports the networks now are worth approximately $3 billion. - LOL

The Bloomberg report said that Sinclair is expected to fail to make $140 million in interest payments due soon, which would be “kickstarting a 30-day grace period” in which it could try to renegotiate deals or file for bankruptcy. That could begin as early as this week.

“The migration of sports fans from cable TV packages to streaming services has clearly been an inevitable trend that we know will force a seismic shift in the business model of all sports teams engaged with local broadcast partners,” Blues president and CEO said Chris Zimmerman said. “Finding a workable alternative to the current model would require close collaboration between the leagues and any impacted teams so we appreciate that the NHL is fully engaged on this issue.
Just a Russian propaganda account