Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 am

Those poor bastards think they're turning the corner every year and it just never happens.
Fourteenth time's the charm.
Honestly, think this would be a good spot for Berube.
He might be the number 1 coaching candidate this offseason. There aren't a lot of well liked Cup winning coaches without any baggage out there. Buffalo is very intriguing talent wise, but I wonder if they've got enough north-south effort guys for Berube's liking. I haven't watched them much, so I don't know. They're a tantalizing roster, but personally I hope he goes to a team that isn't cursed.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:27 am

Those poor bastards think they're turning the corner every year and it just never happens.
Coach Q would be the guy they need IMO. The Hawks were sucking with Savard and then along came the Q man.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 am

He might be the number 1 coaching candidate this offseason. There aren't a lot of well liked Cup winning coaches without any baggage out there. Buffalo is very intriguing talent wise, but I wonder if they've got enough north-south effort guys for Berube's liking. I haven't watched them much, so I don't know. They're a tantalizing roster, but personally I hope he goes to a team that isn't cursed.
That's pretty much it. He's what the Sabres need but he's not what the players on that roster want.

They need a massive kick in the ass.

All for naught for Perron and the Wings as the Flyers needing to win in regulation pulled their goalie in a 1-1 game and Washington scores the empty netter to get the two points clinch the final wild card spot, led by Charlie Lindgren in goal. Wild chain of events there as an OT loss would've put the Wings in over the Caps. Not complaining about that.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm All for naught for Perron and the Wings as the Flyers needing to win in regulation pulled their goalie in a 1-1 game and Washington scores the empty netter to get the two points clinch the final wild card spot, led by Charlie Lindgren in goal. Wild chain of events there as an OT loss would've put the Wings in over the Caps. Not complaining about that.
A double victory for me!
I've got Lucas Raymond on my fantasy (Action PC) team, and he had 6 goals and 11 points in his last 6 games

AND

The Red Wings miss the playoffs!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:47 pm All for naught for Perron and the Wings as the Flyers needing to win in regulation pulled their goalie in a 1-1 game and Washington scores the empty netter to get the two points clinch the final wild card spot, led by Charlie Lindgren in goal. Wild chain of events there as an OT loss would've put the Wings in over the Caps. Not complaining about that.
Sure don't feel Perron was overpaid for the last two years, personally..

Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm
His presence on this team certainly is missed. Especially when you think he made just over a million more than the Blues paid Kapanen. Oops

At least we aren't alone. The college experience is far more enticing to these players than another year in the OHL or wherever else they might be. Wonder if this becomes more and more prevalent and we see more cases of guys just enjoying college for 4 years then picking their team or at the very least causes some teams to hesitate at college players. Are they the new Russians??

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm At least we aren't alone. The college experience is far more enticing to these players than another year in the OHL or wherever else they might be. Wonder if this becomes more and more prevalent and we see more cases of guys just enjoying college for 4 years then picking their team or at the very least causes some teams to hesitate at college players. Are they the new Russians??

To me it all depends on how old and how ready they are in regards to their development as a hockey player.

Returning as a sophomore is generally expected.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:31 pm
Oates2Hullie450 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 pm
His presence on this team certainly is missed. Especially when you think he made just over a million more than the Blues paid Kapanen. Oops
Chances are we would have made the playoffs last year or this year with his presence. But would we be better off in the long run?

Nevertheless I still love the guy and he should have still been a Blue until he retires.

Him and Barbashev should never have left.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm At least we aren't alone. The college experience is far more enticing to these players than another year in the OHL or wherever else they might be. Wonder if this becomes more and more prevalent and we see more cases of guys just enjoying college for 4 years then picking their team or at the very least causes some teams to hesitate at college players. Are they the new Russians??

I think it's a college vs AHL thing. They get some money now and get big man on campus status. If they were 100% sure they'd be in the NHL instead, I think most would come out. The Canadian Junior guys don't really have a choice.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm

I think it's a college vs AHL thing. They get some money now and get big man on campus status. If they were 100% sure they'd be in the NHL instead, I think most would come out. The Canadian Junior guys don't really have a choice.
I think Snug and Leonard were both pretty much assured of NHL minutes had they turned pro. Especially Snug.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:03 pm

I think Snug and Leonard were both pretty much assured of NHL minutes had they turned pro. Especially Snug.
For the rest of this season I'm sure Snuggerud was, but I do wonder about next season. Regardless, take the money and start that clock, kids.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am

For the rest of this season I'm sure Snuggerud was, but I do wonder about next season. Regardless, take the money and start that clock, kids.
It's why I laugh when teams are like, oh I can't take the universally second best player in the draft like Michkov cause I have to wait a few years on him. Well, there is no guarantee that college kid you drafted will be playing and contributing on your team by then anyway.

Will Smith who went to the Sharks number 3 is also not expected to sign with them this year and stay at Boston College.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am

I think when people say things like "we have unfinished business here" they are delusional. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, son. Take that money... finish your business in the NHL.

Dave's a mess wrote:

Do these College Hockey Players get NIL money now?

BillP. wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:50 am
Dave's a mess wrote:

Do these College Hockey Players get NIL money now?
NIL is very much a part of the college hockey game. The fact that the news of Snuggerud staying was broken by Minnesota's NIL collective means they very much played a role in him staying. I don't buy that it was strictly to win a championship.

I think we are only at the tip of the iceberg with it when it comes to college hockey though. It's not nearly at the level it is with Football/Basketball but it probably will be.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pmNever quit.
Jaromír Jágr took the ice on Thursday for the first time since turning 52 years old and passed Hall of Famer Gordie Howe as the oldest professional hockey player.

Playing for Rytíři Kladno, the Czech team he owns and operates, Jágr scored during a 7-2 win over VHK Vsetín in Game 2 of their playoff relegation series.
https://sports.yahoo.com/jaromir-jagr-s ... 15901.html
Taking his financial future into his own soft hands. Next season's revenues in a relegation would be significantly lower. Jaromir needs the corunas to work on his graying flow.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm Never quit.
Jaromír Jágr took the ice on Thursday for the first time since turning 52 years old and passed Hall of Famer Gordie Howe as the oldest professional hockey player.

Playing for Rytíři Kladno, the Czech team he owns and operates, Jágr scored during a 7-2 win over VHK Vsetín in Game 2 of their playoff relegation series.
https://sports.yahoo.com/jaromir-jagr-s ... 15901.html
I hope when I turn 52 Im still playing professional hockey.