Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:55 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:14 am

Now you're just purposely being contrarian.
Super contrarian. None of us have complained about the Blues defense sinc Benn sat on Petro.

I know the standings have shifted since your original post, but I'm curious which 3 teams you were talking about at the time. I assume Vegas was on the outside at that point.
It wasn't about a specific team. It was a comment on the depth of the West and how tough making the playoffs is going to be and when the dust settles, there's going to be some good ones that miss out, maybe even our own.
Word.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:09 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:34 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 pm

I don't know, if you go by points percentage the only team that's currently on the outside looking in that is any good to me is Winnepeg. Anaheim is almost assuredly going to miss out before all is said and then. If everyone else holds serve that's probably the right 8. Dallas and Vegas are in if you go by points %, but out based on simple point count.
Anaheim is a pretty good hockey team. Hell if the playoffs started today the Blues wouldnt even be in the playoffs. Every point is important this season.
I would contend that the Blues do not fit the "really good team" qualifier. I think they're a clearly flawed bubble team. Anaheim is fine, but I imagine they fall out of the playoffs after trading off a few expiring contracts near the deadline. Besides the Ducks, none of the current 8 teams in the playoffs seem surprising to me, and none of the teams on the outside are all that surprising either. I hope the Blues get healthy and can find their way back in, but unless they fix the back end this team is about where they belong in the standings.
I think this team will contend for the Cup with a top notch rental on defense. As long as we are healthy.

BillP. wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:48 pm How the fuck can Minnesota be 19-6. I always root for them but they’re not a 19-6 team. Is there some kind of Covid effect on the NHL? Something’s not right, just sayin.
I think most fancy stat and regular reporters were predicting they'd be second behind the Avs in the division, a cut above everybody else. They have the second best record in the league, but that's only a mild surprise, and largely due to a couple teams predicted to be in front of them struggling. The have KK and an outstanding D corp. They're legit as long as their goaltending is average or slightly above.

BillP. wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:48 pm How the fuck can Minnesota be 19-6. I always root for them but they’re not a 19-6 team. Is there some kind of Covid effect on the NHL? Something’s not right, just sayin.
They have a dominant player in Kaprizov, My boy Ryan Hartman is having a heck of a year and they’ve got great depth. Very good team there and they are putting up points.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

T.C. wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:22 am Oof, that looks bad. I know it’s easy to say from here, but man, gotta keep your head up.
Looks like a good guy to me. Been a great week for hitting in the NHL. Glad to see it return.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:51 am
T.C. wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:22 am Oof, that looks bad. I know it’s easy to say from here, but man, gotta keep your head up.
Looks like a good guy to me. Been a great week for hitting in the NHL. Glad to see it return.
I'm a big fan of protecting against hits to the head, but this one is just an absolute crusher of a body check to me. Perfectly clean by the letter of the law. I'd imagine the injury came from the whiplash since he got rocked and absolutely didn't see it coming. Usually I hate it when guys drop the gloves with an opponent over a clean hit, but I don't blame the Avs in this case. Their guy was clearly hurt and on the ice at full speed I'm sure you couldn't tell if it was clean or not. Plus they'd just seen MacKinnon hit by a borderline (but also probably clean) hit from Trouba last week, so they're touchy.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:21 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:51 am
I'm a big fan of protecting against hits to the head, but this one is just an absolute crusher of a body check to me. Perfectly clean by the letter of the law. I'd imagine the injury came from the whiplash since he got rocked and absolutely didn't see it coming. Usually I hate it when guys drop the gloves with an opponent over a clean hit, but I don't blame the Avs in this case. Their guy was clearly hurt and on the ice at full speed I'm sure you couldn't tell if it was clean or not. Plus they'd just seen MacKinnon hit by a borderline (but also probably clean) hit from Trouba last week, so they're touchy.
I didn't think there was anything particularly dirty about the hit either. He definitely needed to have his head up on that play.