Re: News and Games around the NHL

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:44 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:42 pm Ovi is a fucking unicorn. So cool we get to watch him
He’s a Putin fan… Fuck him!
Very fair point. For whatever reason I have an easier time parking all that baggage than I do guys that get into some other unsavory off ice issues. Anyway I don't want to derail the conversation so I'll just leave it at that.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

The Athletic just released a trade board of the top 25 most likely or at least most interesting potential trade pieces leading up to the deadline this year. ROR and Tarasenko were listed 5 and 6. Interestingly LeBrun mentioned that the Leafs have had some internal discussions about ROR. That'd be a great add for them, though I wonder what that return would look like. Nothing juicy or particularly interesting on Tarasenko.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:11 am The Athletic just released a trade board of the top 25 most likely or at least most interesting potential trade pieces leading up to the deadline this year. ROR and Tarasenko were listed 5 and 6. Interestingly LeBrun mentioned that the Leafs have had some internal discussions about ROR. That'd be a great add for them, though I wonder what that return would look like. Nothing juicy or particularly interesting on Tarasenko.
Yeah, he also mentioned the Avs for ROR which would be an interesting trade.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:16 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:11 am The Athletic just released a trade board of the top 25 most likely or at least most interesting potential trade pieces leading up to the deadline this year. ROR and Tarasenko were listed 5 and 6. Interestingly LeBrun mentioned that the Leafs have had some internal discussions about ROR. That'd be a great add for them, though I wonder what that return would look like. Nothing juicy or particularly interesting on Tarasenko.
Yeah, he also mentioned the Avs for ROR which would be an interesting trade.
Yeah at first I blew that off as "no way Army trades him there", but it's probably unlikely they'd be able to sign him long term, and if you trade him you're not making the playoffs anyway, so why not just take the best offer.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:58 am
T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 am That was fantastic. Maybe that league is televised?

Also, you say you “know why” we don’t get fights like that anymore - enlighten us?
Because Bettman has actively worked to remove it from the game. Less guys in the league that can/will throw down like this.
that relates to roster decisions. but why?

T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 amThat was fantastic. Maybe that league is televised? ...
FloHockey.tv streams all ECHL games. One-month subscriptions are available at a reasonable price ($30/month IIRC), if you simply want to sample the levels of talent (pugilistic & otherwise). Be advised that it is still a rare sight even in the ECHL to have a helmets-off toe-to-toe battle such as that engaged by 6'-4" 210 lb. rookie Sean Gulka (just turned pro with the South Carolina Stingrays from the Victoria Royals of the rough-n-tumble Canadian major junior Western Hockey League) and 6'-2" 194 lb. Nico Blachman (former Stingray & recently acquired by the first-season franchise Savannah Ghost Pirates from the cellar-dwelling & historically physical Allen (TX) Americans). They both clearly have reputations to build in the E', as it is likely as far as either will progress in the pro ranks. But those two teams have formed a regional rivalry very quickly, so they might be worth the price of timely admission/access.
Last edited by JMC-STL on Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:24 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:58 am
T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:06 am That was fantastic. Maybe that league is televised?

Also, you say you “know why” we don’t get fights like that anymore - enlighten us?
Because Bettman has actively worked to remove it from the game. Less guys in the league that can/will throw down like this.
that relates to roster decisions. but why?
Congress pressured him saying it was a player safety issue even though the NHLPA didn't want it to go away because it would cost those players their jobs. IIRC Bettman rebuffed it at first saying fighting prevents other injuries. But when you have very public cases like Daniel Carcillo the league and players take notice.

Short answer, player safety.
Just a Russian propaganda account