Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:08 am
BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:39 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:21 am

Third times the charm!
What's that about? Is Atlanta rumored for a team again?
Who knows but Bettman's main business strategy for money is expansion fees.
I just googled it. It is rumored to be happening. It came from ESPN hockey anchor John Buccigross, who hinted at an NHL team coming back to Atlanta -- more specifically in Alpharetta. They're going to build a new complex there. So that means there's got to be 2 new teams coming - right? Better be Quebec, that's all I can say.

BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:28 am
BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:39 am

What's that about? Is Atlanta rumored for a team again?
I just googled it. It is rumored to be happening. It came from ESPN hockey anchor John Buccigross, who hinted at an NHL team coming back to Atlanta -- more specifically in Alpharetta. They're going to build a new complex there. So that means there's got to be 2 new teams coming - right? Better be Quebec, that's all I can say.
Doesn't have to mean two teams are coming. Las Vegas was a team for a year or three before settle came along
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:35 am

Doesn't have to mean two teams are coming. Las Vegas was a team for a year or three before settle came along
Apparently Bettman never wanted or liked the idea of Atlanta relocating to Winnipeg.

BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:24 am

Apparently Bettman never wanted or liked the idea of Atlanta relocating to Winnipeg.
Bettman hates moving teams (see Arizona). He'll pretty much only move a team if there's both no local ownership and no long term arena option. The whole reason Atlanta is on the radar now is that there's a potential arena option in the suburbs. Downtown Atlanta is no longer a good fit apparently, which was part of the Thrashers problem. Between that and the TV market, Bettman is obviously interested. Is that smart? That's another question.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:29 pm
Bettman hates moving teams (see Arizona). He'll pretty much only move a team if there's both no local ownership and no long term arena option. The whole reason Atlanta is on the radar now is that there's a potential arena option in the suburbs. Downtown Atlanta is no longer a good fit apparently, which was part of the Thrashers problem. Between that and the TV market, Bettman is obviously interested. Is that smart? That's another question.
Thrasher attendance history doesn't look all that bad. Atlanta Hawks averaged about 2K more per year it looks like. Hockey is a better product today so who knows, it might be a good sell now.

BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:07 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:29 pm

Thrasher attendance history doesn't look all that bad. Atlanta Hawks averaged about 2K more per year it looks like. Hockey is a better product today so who knows, it might be a good sell now.
It might be, but I wouldn't put a lot of stock in reported attendance. If you'd have listened to the Blues numbers during the Checketts years you'd have thought the Blues never had an empty seat. Lots of loopholes for teams to jump through to goose the numbers.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Tanner Jeannot update for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

15 games played. 3 assists. -6 +/- rating and 22 penalty minutes.

Intangibles? Definitely worth?

Cal Foote,
2023 3rd round pick (TBL)
2023 4th round pick (TBL)
2023 5th round pick (TBL)
2024 2nd round pick (TBL)
2025 1st round pick (TBL) [Conditional]*

Haha.

Tage is pretty big these days....................

The 25-year-old center is on pace to finish with 50 goals and 103 points

At 6-foot-7, Thompson has a chance to make NHL history by becoming the tallest player to ever score 50 goals and/or finish with 100 points in a season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Through March 20, Thompson scored 42 goals and 87 points through 69 games, which already makes him the tallest player to ever score 40 goals and record 80 points in a season.

"It's surprising, to be honest with you," retired NHL forward Jason Arnott said upon hearing that Thompson could be the tallest to notch a 50-100 season. "There have been some really good players that were tall. It's amazing. Especially with the speed of the game. Kudos to him and for being such a great skater at that size. That's crazy."

Prior to Thompson, former Chicago Blackhawks forward Eric Daze held the distinction of being the tallest player in NHL history with the most points in a season. Daze, who is 6-6, scored 38 goals and 70 points in 80 games during the 2001-02 season, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

BlueinNy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:49 am Goal differential for Bruins +118, GD for Ducks - 112. Just a little disparity there.Thats insane to me. I know anything can happen in a 7 game series but it sure does look like a Bruin cup to me. Injuries will undoubtedly play a huge roll as usual.
You never know. A lot of the same was said about the Lightning a couple years back and they got swept out of the first round. Detroit also didn't win the cup in their record setting year.
Just a Russian propaganda account