Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:48 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:53 pm Refs in mid season form

Good call. Leafs can't beat teams actively trying to lose.
I see it as the player slashed his hand, the play had no impact on what transpired after. There was no hand pass. Goal should stand.
Yeah I don't get it. Shouldn't every little ticky-tac call be allowed to take back goals then?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:53 pm Refs in mid season form

I see it as the player slashed his hand, the play had no impact on what transpired after. There was no hand pass. Goal should stand.
I see it as player hit the puck with his hand in the offensive zone and his teammate was first to control it. I'm surprised this is controversial. Timing of it sucks for Leafs, but if you're going to have replay to catch egregious calls like the Karlsson one in the 2019 playoffs, you're going to get calls like this too.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:12 am

I see it as player hit the puck with his hand in the offensive zone and his teammate was first to control it. I'm surprised this is controversial. Timing of it sucks for Leafs, but if you're going to have replay to catch egregious calls like the Karlsson one in the 2019 playoffs, you're going to get calls like this too.
By the rulebook itself it's not a hand pass.

"Unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official."

Reilly clearly didn't direct it to a teammate. It hit his hand/Keller's stick, then came straight down, kicking off Keller's skate to the Leaf player coming into the scrum.

Just imo. Maybe the rule itself needs to be a bit more straight forward. Nothing about the play screams that it gave the Leafs a clear advantage or was an intentional pass to a teammate.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:00 pm

"Unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official."

Reilly clearly didn't direct it to a teammate. It hit his hand/Keller's stick, then came straight down, kicking off Keller's skate to the Leaf player coming into the scrum.

Just imo. Maybe the rule itself needs to be a bit more straight forward. Nothing about the play screams that it gave the Leafs a clear advantage or was an intentional pass to a teammate.
wow, interesting - i was looking at the USA Hockey rules earlier, not the NHL (which are for some reason difficult to find):
USAH wrote:(b) A player or goalkeeper shall not be allowed to “bat” the puck in the air, or push it along the ice with his hand, directly to a teammate unless the “hand pass” has been initiated and completed in his defending zone, in which case play shall be allowed to continue. If the “hand pass” occurs in the neutral or attacking zone, a stoppage of play will occur and a face-off will take place according to last play face-off rules provided no territorial advantage has been gained.
according to those rules, this is pretty black & white. wonder where these officials came from?

according to what you posted, the key phrase is "in the opinion of the on-ice officials", who did not stop the play.

again I ask, was this a challenge? or just something that happened spontaneously after the goal?

T.C. wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:18 pm

wow, interesting - i was looking at the USA Hockey rules earlier, not the NHL (which are for some reason difficult to find):
USAH wrote:(b) A player or goalkeeper shall not be allowed to “bat” the puck in the air, or push it along the ice with his hand, directly to a teammate unless the “hand pass” has been initiated and completed in his defending zone, in which case play shall be allowed to continue. If the “hand pass” occurs in the neutral or attacking zone, a stoppage of play will occur and a face-off will take place according to last play face-off rules provided no territorial advantage has been gained.
according to those rules, this is pretty black & white. wonder where these officials came from?

according to what you posted, the key phrase is "in the opinion of the on-ice officials", who did not stop the play.

again I ask, was this a challenge? or just something that happened spontaneously after the goal?
I have not been able to find the full video of what happened and wasn't watching it live so I don't know if it was "spontaneously" but the scrum was on the boards at the blue line so I'm not sure how quickly it could have happened. But I have seen it described as "awhile ago" and "earlier in the play".

Look, the leafs should never be in position at home vs the Yotes to need a tying goal in the final minute, but looking at this on loop, I'm not sure how it can be called a "hand pass". The stick is there before the puck.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:48 pm I have not been able to find the full video of what happened and wasn't watching it live so I don't know if it was "spontaneously" but the scrum was on the boards at the blue line so I'm not sure how quickly it could have happened. But I have seen it described as "awhile ago" and "earlier in the play".

Look, the leafs should never be in position at home vs the Yotes to need a tying goal in the final minute, but looking at this on loop, I'm not sure how it can be called a "hand pass". The stick is there before the puck.

well, in direct response to that tweet, the good news is that only a fraction of NHL fans were able to watch it.

He allowed his team to gain possession by batting the puck out of the air. Hand pass. Not blaming the on ice officials for missing it since the stick was there too. I don't think it's a rule description problem, just a close call that went against the team with the largest volume of whiny fans. Is this what they should be replaying? Now that's a worthwhile conversation.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:05 pm

He allowed his team to gain possession by batting the puck out of the air. Hand pass. Not blaming the on ice officials for missing it since the stick was there too. I don't think it's a rule description problem, just a close call that went against the team with the largest volume of whiny fans. Is this what they should be replaying? Now that's a worthwhile conversation.
REFEREE APOLOGIST!!

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:38 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:48 pm
T.C. wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:51 pmwell, in direct response to that tweet, the good news is that only a fraction of NHL fans were able to watch it.
Always gives me a chuckle to think the best way to watch your local favorite hockey team is to live out of market
Them's fightin' words to our gracious host. :x
Yeah well he never sends me a cut of the ad revenue here

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:45 am I spent the preseason trashing the Flyers and how I thought the combo of how bad they'd be and Torts would be pure entertainment, and here they are 3-0.
They might not finish with the Coyotes/Hawks, but eventually all the other teams will have their systems in place and the utter lack of talent on Philly will take over. Plus, they'll take a dip in the standings once they trade Provorov to the Blues.