Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:58 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am I know this much. He was the only guy who for whatever personal reason objected to it and had the balls rightly or wrongly to stand up for his beliefs.

But I would be willing to bet he wasn't the only guy out of twenty or so guys who didn't want to wear it.

And that's just the way it is. It's a free country, or is supposed to be.
Well obviously. Tony DeAngelo is on that team.

Also, I wouldn't say hiding behind religion and saying nothing else takes balls. Seems the opposite.

I would also argue the people who think this was so brave of him are also the same ones that yell "STAND FOR THE ANTHEM!" and think those guys are punks and cowards. Not saying any of you specifically, but twitter people in general.
Hiding? You don't know that.

I won't even pretend to know his motivations, nor do I really care but to actually oppose it when every other player, who we know there are many who don't approve of that lifestyle, hasn't opposed it, yeah, that took some balls. In my opinion at least.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:39 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:58 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 am I know this much. He was the only guy who for whatever personal reason objected to it and had the balls rightly or wrongly to stand up for his beliefs.

But I would be willing to bet he wasn't the only guy out of twenty or so guys who didn't want to wear it.

And that's just the way it is. It's a free country, or is supposed to be.
Well obviously. Tony DeAngelo is on that team.

Also, I wouldn't say hiding behind religion and saying nothing else takes balls. Seems the opposite.

I would also argue the people who think this was so brave of him are also the same ones that yell "STAND FOR THE ANTHEM!" and think those guys are punks and cowards. Not saying any of you specifically, but twitter people in general.
Hiding? You don't know that.

I won't even pretend to know his motivations, nor do I really care but to actually oppose it when every other player, who we know there are many who don't approve of that lifestyle, hasn't opposed it, yeah, that took some balls. In my opinion at least.
I mean I do know that, he said it. He cited his reason as his religion, that was his motivation. He's Russian Orthodox.

Kap was the only one taking a knee because he was forced to be out on the field for the anthem and a lot of the people supporting Provy weren't calling Kap brave.

Again though, I agree he should not have been forced to participate if he didn't want to because I am consistent in my belief of freedom of choice..People's reactions to it are also valid though.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:49 am Kap was the only one taking a knee because he was forced to be out on the field for the anthem and a lot of the people supporting Provy weren't calling Kap brave.
not to beat this to death, but come on - you do see that one thing protests something representing pride in country and the other thing protests something representing pride in alternative sexuality, and that these aren't remotely the same thing, right? i don't understand why you're equating these two events or treatment of/reaction to the two guys. seems odd.

T.C. wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:07 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:49 am Kap was the only one taking a knee because he was forced to be out on the field for the anthem and a lot of the people supporting Provy weren't calling Kap brave.
not to beat this to death, but come on - you do see that one thing protests something representing pride in country and the other thing protests something representing pride in alternative sexuality, and that these aren't remotely the same thing, right? i don't understand why you're equating these two events or treatment of/reaction to the two guys. seems odd.
His point was that he was brave for doing something no one else on the team did and for what he believed in. That it took courage to do it. Both guys did that. It’s not odd at all, it’s odd that you’re pretending to not understand the correlation.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:33 pm
His point was that he was brave for doing something no one else on the team did and for what he believed in. That it took courage to do it. Both guys did that. It’s not odd at all, it’s odd that you’re pretending to not understand the correlation.
No i understand that. You’re talking about public support, which is what I’m talking about. Two very different planets.

T.C. wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:53 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:33 pm

No i understand that. You’re talking about public support, which is what I’m talking about. Two very different planets.
I’m talking about hypocrisy in people’s responses. I’m talking about the specific words it was brave and took balls. Kap was forced to be on the field by rule which is why his protest was so public where as provy had the option to just not go out. I wonder if it was required that he be on the ice if he’d have worn the jersey or been the only one not. We’ll never know.

What I do know is if you think one was brave and the other wasn’t, then you only support freedom of choice if their choice aligns with yours and you’re a hypocrite.

Miller has No. 30 retired by Sabres, inducted into their Hall of Fame
Played 11 seasons with Buffalo, is leader in wins, saves, games by goalie

BUFFALO -- Ryan Miller played his way to the top of the record books in Buffalo Sabres history, and his number now hangs among those of the franchise's greats at KeyBank Center.

On Thursday, the goalie had his No. 30 raised to the rafters, becoming the eighth Sabres player to receive the honor, and became the 43rd inductee into the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame.

"It was a great feeling," Miller said.

He was joined on the ice by his wife, Noureen DeWulf; son Bodhi, 7; daughter Kaia, 9 months; parents Dean and Teresa; brothers Drew and Bryce; and sister Brynn. "I'm glad my family could be there. The kids were there. Bodhi's old enough to take this all in. The family folklore can only be so many stories before you have to show the kid where it actually happened. … Kaia made it through, I'm proud of her for that. Just a small step for a baby. But just having friends and family see her and see where I'm at in life right now, Noureen and I being back here, this is a big part of our life as well. Great memories and great friendships."

Miller was greeted by a rousing ovation from the crowd and with an iconic call of "Milllleeeeerrrrr!" from legendary Sabres broadcaster Rick Jeanneret. He was also presented with a sword by owner Terry Pegula during the ceremony prior to Buffalo's 3-2 overtime win against the New York Islanders.

Miller had more than 100 friends and family members in attendance. Among them were 18 former Sabres teammates, including Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Derek Roy and Henrik Tallinder, and former longtime equipment manager Rip Simonick.

Former Sabres goalie Dominik Hasek was featured in a video introducing Miller. Buffalo retired Hasek's No. 39 in 2015.

"Welcome to the club," Hasek said.

The other Buffalo players with a retired number are Gilbert Perreault (No. 11), Richard Martin (No. 7), Rene Robert (No. 14), Tim Horton (No. 2), Danny Gare (No. 18) and Pat LaFontaine (No. 16).

When he first arrived in Buffalo upon signing his first NHL contract in 2002, Miller was given a tour of the arena. He said that when he looked up to the rafters, the dream began to percolate.

"Walking in here and seeing the 'French Connection' [line of Perreault, Martin and Robert] and seeing Tim Horton's number, at the time those were the only numbers up there," he said. "And I had that little fantasy. I did. I looked out there, I was like, 'Wow, you know, I'm signing with a pro team. We've got some banners up there, wouldn't that be cool?' And this is an amazing dream-come-true situation."

Miller ranks first among goalies in Buffalo history in wins (284), games played (540), saves (14,847) and wins in a season (41).

He played 11 seasons with the Sabres (2002-14) and was their No. 1 goalie from 2005-06 until he was traded to the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 28, 2014. Buffalo qualified for the Stanley Cup Playoffs four times with Miller, including reaching the Eastern Conference Final in 2006 and 2007. He won the Vezina Trophy, awarded to the goalie voted the best in the League, in 2009-10 when he had an NHL career-high 41 wins, a 2.22 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage.

"He was the backbone of this team," Vanek said. "I think with him you knew he was locked in every night, and that's what made him the ultimate pro and the goalie he was his whole career. … For me as a player, going into every game I knew we had a chance to win because we had Ryan Miller."

Miller was 391-289-87 with one tie in 796 NHL games (772 starts) for the Sabres, Blues, Vancouver Canucks and Anaheim Ducks.

Among United States-born NHL goalies, Miller is first in wins and second both in games played (796), behind John Vanbiesbrouck (882), and shutouts (44), behind Jonathan Quick (57).

It's the third honor in recent months for Miller. He was inducted into the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame on Nov. 9 and the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame on Nov. 30.

The current Sabres players watched the ceremony from the bench and took a photo with Miller on the after the game. Forward Alex Tuch grew up a fan of the team in Baldwinsville, New York, two hours east of Buffalo.

"Miller was the goalie that I got to grow up watching play," Tuch said. "Although I wasn't a goalie growing up, I definitely idolized him and loved watching him play. He's an unbelievable goaltender. Once I got into town, I started hearing about how much he meant to the community and what he did and his time with Roswell Park [Comprehensive Cancer Center] and just how good of a person he was, and that made it more special that I got to watch him growing up. To see him honored tonight, I mean, he definitely deserves it."

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said, "He's been an important part of the Sabres franchise, playing 11 years, most-winning American goaltender. And it's great to be here with him, and to be here with the fans that adore the Sabres."

As for what he's most proud of, Miller said, "It's hard to pick one moment. I just loved playing with the guys and the feeling of winning a game. I thought we did it the right way and we built it together as a group. All these guys have been saying nice things about me, but I can equally say about them how much of an impact we all had on each other.

"... I just remember the guys being really accepting, open, competitive. There were fun moments on the ice. For all the intensity that was there, there was a lot of fun in practice. I thought that was a sign of a good team, actually."

Dave's a mess wrote: I'll say this for Miller, he was a very good Buffalo Sabre.
It's a shame one of those Buffalo teams didn't make the Cup. Remember, for 2 years they were great. 05 and 06 or 06 and 07. Somewhere there. The Canes knocked them out the one year and I guess the Sens were the other team??? Anyway I thought they were a deserving Cup finalist at that time.