Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:34 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:33 am Huzzah for hockey worth watching at the Olympics!
Yeah, just don't get hurt.
Honestly if there are enough Blues playing in the Olympics that we're worried about injuries it will probably mean the season is going pretty well. Of the potential Olympians (ROR/Buchenevich/Tarasenko/Krug/Faulk/Parayko/Binnington), most if not all of them are bubble cases at best. I listed 7 guys and I'd be kind of surprised if more than 3 make their respective teams. I'll take the injury risk if it means they're playing well.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BluesSK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:38 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:12 am Looks like NHL players will be headed to the Olympics.

Terrible decision.

If Canada and the US aren't boycotting the Olympics in China, I sure will be.
I mean do you buy anything sold basically anywhere? It's largely Chinese made. Should we boycott our close allies the Saudis? They're as brutal a regime as anything going on in China (not a defense of China btw their regime is brutal). This stuff just reeks of performative virtue signaling and partisan hackery.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:00 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:12 am Looks like NHL players will be headed to the Olympics.

Terrible decision.

I mean do you buy anything sold basically anywhere? It's largely Chinese made. Should we boycott our close allies the Saudis? They're as brutal a regime as anything going on in China (not a defense of China btw their regime is brutal). This stuff just reeks of performative virtue signaling and partisan hackery.
I get all of my hockey jerseys from them. Great prices!
Just a Russian propaganda account

Terrible decision.

The only way China will get the message is to send them one. I don't know why we support the Saudis (hint: it's oil!) and I would prefer we didn't as well.

Since when is standing up to the worst human rights violator this century partisan?

I'm not going to say anything more so we can stick to hockey but I stand by my opinion against the NHL on this especially when all these sports leagues talk about now is social justice.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:31 pm

Terrible decision.

The only way China will get the message is to send them one. I don't know why we support the Saudis (hint: it's oil!) and I would prefer we didn't as well.

Since when is standing up to the worst human rights violator this century partisan?

I'm not going to say anything more so we can stick to hockey but I stand by my opinion against the NHL on this especially when all these sports leagues talk about now is social justice.
Great food though

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Great food though
Love the food. Hate the regime.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 pm

Great food though
Love the food. Hate the regime.
Gotta take the good with the bad. They can have a bit of human rights violations if I can have a bit of general's chicken...as a treat

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:40 pm Anywho, before the thread gets locked I'm just here to wonder how USA overthinks its roster construction and sabotages it's own chances.
We’re strong in net. USA takes Gold :)

Kyle Connor – Auston Matthews – Patrick Kane
Matthew Tkachuk – Jack Eichel – Alex DeBrincat
Johnny Gaudreau – J.T. Miller – Jake Guentzel
Max Pacioretty – Joe Pavelski – Brock Boeser
T.J. Oshie, Jack Hughes

Jaccob Slavin – Charlie McAvoy
Quinn Hughes – Adam Fox
Zach Werenski – Seth Jones
John Carlson, Ryan McDonagh

Connor Hellebuyck – John Gibson – Thatcher Demko

BillP. wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:54 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:40 pm Anywho, before the thread gets locked I'm just here to wonder how USA overthinks its roster construction and sabotages it's own chances.
We’re strong in net. USA takes Gold :)

Kyle Connor – Auston Matthews – Patrick Kane
Matthew Tkachuk – Jack Eichel – Alex DeBrincat
Johnny Gaudreau – J.T. Miller – Jake Guentzel
Max Pacioretty – Joe Pavelski – Brock Boeser
T.J. Oshie, Jack Hughes

Jaccob Slavin – Charlie McAvoy
Quinn Hughes – Adam Fox
Zach Werenski – Seth Jones
John Carlson, Ryan McDonagh

Connor Hellebuyck – John Gibson – Thatcher Demko
If I think about the 'tough guy (or defensive guy) / setup guy / finisher' model, I might have lines of
M Tkachuk - Matthews - Boeser
B. Tkachuk - Eichel - Kane
Pacioretty - Miller - DeBrincat
Connor/Gaudreau - Pavelski - Guentzel

Imagine for over half of every game the opponents have a Tkachuk getting in their faces. The downside is our PK had better be pretty darn good!