Re: News and Games around the NHL

I thought the Wild were supposed to be in cap hell with the jettison of Parise and Sutter but we haven't seen any regression at all. WTF

The Wild have been playing better than every team in the NHL since Feb. 17, and that includes the Boston Bruins. They are 16-1-4 with a .857 points percentage. A big reason is their production. They've been scoring without forward Kirill Kaprizov in the lineup, averaging 4.20 goals per game in 10 games without him.

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:49 am I thought the Wild were supposed to be in cap hell with the jettison of Parise and Sutter but we haven't seen any regression at all. WTF

The Wild have been playing better than every team in the NHL since Feb. 17, and that includes the Boston Bruins. They are 16-1-4 with a .857 points percentage. A big reason is their production. They've been scoring without forward Kirill Kaprizov in the lineup, averaging 4.20 goals per game in 10 games without him.
Well it's definitely cost them a few players, but in one key case it's worked out in their favor. For cap and grumpy player reasons, they had to get rid of Cam Talbot in the offseason. What worked out for them is they brought in Filip Gustavsson, who has rocked this year.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:03 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:49 am I thought the Wild were supposed to be in cap hell with the jettison of Parise and Sutter but we haven't seen any regression at all. WTF

Well it's definitely cost them a few players, but in one key case it's worked out in their favor. For cap and grumpy player reasons, they had to get rid of Cam Talbot in the offseason. What worked out for them is they brought in Filip Gustavsson, who has rocked this year.
Yeah, and I think he's on your fantasy team too - ha
So it did cost them some players, huh? I've always liked Minny but I'm stunned how they keep on rolling with some of the dysfunctional moves they've made over the years.

BillP. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:22 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:03 pm

Yeah, and I think he's on your fantasy team too - ha
So it did cost them some players, huh? I've always liked Minny but I'm stunned how they keep on rolling with some of the dysfunctional moves they've made over the years.
Don't get carried away about "keep on rolling" Bill, they've won their division exactly 1 time in their history. They'll probably win it this year in a season that the favorite is suffering from a million injuries and a classic Cup hangover.

T.C. wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:03 am Excellent work ethic in them both. Wish we had one.
If the Panthers hang onto one of the Wild Card spots, there's a chance Matthew is a Hart nominee. I wouldn't know how to handicap the race for the 2 non-McDavid spots, but Matthew has had another monster year and is dragging that team kicking and screaming into the playoffs.

BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:34 am Goalies aren't what they use to be. Hope it stays that way too. Who's the best Canadian goalie these days? Is it still MAF? Quality has gone down.
Thats a really good question. Maybe Stuart Skinner of the Oilers? As down as the Candian goalies are, the Russians seem to be turning them out left and right. You could make the case 4 of the top 5 goalies in the league are Russian.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:38 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:34 am Goalies aren't what they use to be. Hope it stays that way too. Who's the best Canadian goalie these days? Is it still MAF? Quality has gone down.
Thats a really good question. Maybe Stuart Skinner of the Oilers? As down as the Candian goalies are, the Russians seem to be turning them out left and right. You could make the case 4 of the top 5 goalies in the league are Russian.
Canada does seem to be in a bit of a goalie drought. The best numbers this year seem to be from the two guys they got in Vegas, Adin Hill and Logan Thompson. But then Vegas went out and got Quick. So... 🤷‍♂️

Hofer could be that guy in a few years.