Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:00 am
BluesSK wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm Looks like Shanahan got his patsy.
Might not be as bad as you think. Apparently Treliving believes in heavy hockey. He likes players with an edge. He drafted Tkachuk over Clayton Keller. He drafted Bennet over Nylander and Ehlers. (Read a Leafs article - ha) The Leafs do need an infusion, so his belief system fits what Shanahan is looking for.
Bennett over Nylander wasn't a smart decision though aside from the point that he's just a more physical player. He drafted him and then traded him for a 2nd round pick before he ever developed. Nylander has been a much better player as a pro than Bennett. He's having a strong playoff but his career high in points is 49. Nylander's is 87.
In fairness, it's not his fault Bennett was misused by the coaching staff in Calgary. They fucked that up. We've seen that here with Army too.
But I get your point with Nylander, personally I like him a lot and thought he was one of the Leafs better players in the Florida series.
But I was mostly relaying what the article said, so they ran with Bennett since his stock is high now.

Dave's a mess wrote:
BluesSK wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm Looks like Shanahan got his patsy.
Might not be as bad as you think. Apparently Treliving believes in heavy hockey. He likes players with an edge. He drafted Tkachuk over Clayton Keller. He drafted Bennet over Nylander and Ehlers. (Read a Leafs article - ha) The Leafs do need an infusion, so his belief system fits what Shanahan is looking for.
Tkachuk was expected to go 4th and slipped to Calgary at 6th, he doesn't get credit for that one. He also let Tkachuk and Gaudreau walk for nothing. You'd think avoiding losing stars without any return would be paramount for the Leafs.
Right! I didn't put the 2 and 2 together like you did, but it did cross my mind the situation he's walking into with the contracts coming up. He's walking into a tough job right off the bat.

BillP. wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:11 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Bennett over Nylander wasn't a smart decision though aside from the point that he's just a more physical player. He drafted him and then traded him for a 2nd round pick before he ever developed. Nylander has been a much better player as a pro than Bennett. He's having a strong playoff but his career high in points is 49. Nylander's is 87.
In fairness, it's not his fault Bennett was misused by the coaching staff in Calgary. They fucked that up. We've seen that here with Army too.
But I get your point with Nylander, personally I like him a lot and thought he was one of the Leafs better players in the Florida series.
But I was mostly relaying what the article said, so they ran with Bennett since his stock is high now.
Isn't it though? Who hires the coaching staff?
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:31 am Of course not. This was always a bs story.
I think there was some smoke to that fire.

The media ran with it so someone in the Toronto brass dropped it and wanted it to happen and probably wanted Shanahan out too. It's all corporate skullduggery with the Leafs.

Shanahan got his way for now and got a guy who isn't going to be a direct threat to his job security. Armstrong definitely is.

BluesSK wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:08 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:31 am Of course not. This was always a bs story.
I think there was some smoke to that fire.

The media ran with it so someone in the Toronto brass dropped it and wanted it to happen and probably wanted Shanahan out too. It's all corporate skullduggery with the Leafs.

Shanahan got his way for now and got a guy who isn't going to be a direct threat to his job security. Armstrong definitely is.
Besides his contract having 3-4 years left on it, I don't think there was any chance Armstrong was going to take a job that would be a demotion, even if it were for his hometown team in a giant market. He's the President and GM in St. Louis. He'd just be the GM in Toronto as long as Shanahan is around. The rumor was nothing but wishful thinking on behalf of Leafs homers.

Minor transaction deadline today:

Only Blues prospect on that list is Tyson Galloway, a 5th round pick in 2021. He appears to be a big and physical defenseman. Having never seen him play, I'm guessing if they don't sign him today its because they don't think he can't skate.

BluesSK wrote: NBA playoffs could be half over before game 1 of the NHL finals is completed.
Denver is just too good, but I thought Miami hung in there pretty good all things considered. They struggled but they play an excellent team game which gave them a few runs and were only 10 down with 4 minutes left.

Spoelstra is a good coach, we'll see what adjustments he makes.

I'd like to see Miami pull out Game 2.

But yeah, Denver is going to win, Jokic is just unstoppable.

Bad thing about it? Kroenke will have one a championship 3 years in a row now. Ouch :roll:

BillP. wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:00 pm
BluesSK wrote: NBA playoffs could be half over before game 1 of the NHL finals is completed.
Denver is just too good, but I thought Miami hung in there pretty good all things considered. They struggled but they play an excellent team game which gave them a few runs and were only 10 down with 4 minutes left.

Spoelstra is a good coach, we'll see what adjustments he makes.

I'd like to see Miami pull out Game 2.

But yeah, Denver is going to win, Jokic is just unstoppable.

Bad thing about it? Kroenke will have one a championship 3 years in a row now. Ouch :roll:
I'm not really a basketball guy but I just want this NHL season ovah. So we can forget about it. 😂

They are sure taking their time with it though.