Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:12 pm Was Dallas even aware the game was today? 5 goals against and they’ve only gotten 14 shots themselves
I don’t know how you lay an egg like that at home but they did.

Dallas really struggled with that Vegas big ass defense.

I’m starting to think Vegas might beat Florida. That D is pretty stout.

Hard to believe though that the Vegas penalty kill is so pedestrian. Even only 77% during regular season.

If Tkachuk and Co. can’t exploit that, it might be a real grind for them to win.

Fans should get their moneys worth in this one.

BillP wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:31 am... I’m starting to think Vegas might beat Florida. That D is pretty stout.

Hard to believe though that the Vegas penalty kill is so pedestrian. Even only 77% during regular season.

If Tkachuk and Co. can’t exploit that, it might be a real grind for them to win.

That's counterintuitive to Bettman's ultimate goal of completely eliminating fans from the game. So he's going to use the implosion of the Coyotes as an excuse to cancel this season's Stanley Cup Finals, then use the extra time to formulate his next move. It'll probably have something to do with AI, since EVERYBODY is afraid of whatever that's all about. :?

BillP wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:31 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:12 pm Was Dallas even aware the game was today? 5 goals against and they’ve only gotten 14 shots themselves

To bring it back to the Blues, both teams left are built big and physical. It’s how the Blues use to be built. For some reason Army thought mobile, non physical defensemen were all the rage and we are built completely different from what’s showing to be successful come playoff time,
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:01 am

To bring it back to the Blues, both teams left are built big and physical. It’s how the Blues use to be built. For some reason Army thought mobile, non physical defensemen were all the rage and we are built completely different from what’s showing to be successful come playoff time,
I understood adding A small mobile D. I did not understand adding nothing but small mobile D.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Yeah, we went from being a kick ass team to a team getting it's ass kicked :shock:

BillP. wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:33 am

Yeah, we went from being a kick ass team to a team getting it's ass kicked :shock:
Also the one big defenseman this team stuck with is a shell of his former self. WHOOPS-A-DAISY!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:51 am

Also the one big defenseman this team stuck with is a shell of his former self. WHOOPS-A-DAISY!!
And he might be the least physical of the bunch.

BluesSK wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:06 am

Yeah, unfortunately size doesn't equal physicality, see also Logan Brown. But what it does do is take up space. The Blues are way too easy to enter the zone and get to the front of the net or in the right lanes against, it's no surprise Parayko is at least the best against that. It's what Vegas are SO good at taking away from other teams. Which is why I could see Tkachuk not having the success he saw before, it'll at least be his toughest test yet.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:35 am

Yeah, unfortunately size doesn't equal physicality, see also Logan Brown. But what it does do is take up space. The Blues are way too easy to enter the zone and get to the front of the net or in the right lanes against, it's no surprise Parayko is at least the best against that. It's what Vegas are SO good at taking away from other teams. Which is why I could see Tkachuk not having the success he saw before, it'll at least be his toughest test yet.
I wonder who is gonna take over coaching on defense.

BluesSK wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:39 am

I wonder who is gonna take over coaching on defense.
Thats a great question. Haven't heard any rumors or seen anything about their search now that you mention it.

Florida has been fun, but to me Vegas is a huge favorite in this series. The Panthers best chance is Bobrovsky standing on his head while Adin Hill turns back into a pumpkin. Problem is that it's just as reasonable for the reverse to happen. I'm hoping it's a long, fun series, but I'm worried it might be Vegas in 5.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:48 am

Florida has been fun, but to me Vegas is a huge favorite in this series. The Panthers best chance is Bobrovsky standing on his head while Adin Hill turns back into a pumpkin. Problem is that it's just as reasonable for the reverse to happen. I'm hoping it's a long, fun series, but I'm worried it might be Vegas in 5.
Knocking off the Canes so fast might have affected their momentum. They were an unstoppable juggernaut before that.

I think it will really boil down to goaltending as you mention.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:48 am

100% agreement there. As Bob goes they will go. You never know what kind of team is going to show up after what, almost two weeks off by puck drop? Rested or Rusted? But Vegas are just so deep and so big and Eichel is playing just as good as Tkachuk has been.

I do think it goes 6 or 7. While Florida's run has been surprising, we forget they were the Presidents trophy winner just the year before and retooled their roster to be built better for the playoffs. I don't think they are as big of an underdog story as maybe thought.

BluesSK wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm Looks like Shanahan got his patsy.
Might not be as bad as you think. Apparently Treliving believes in heavy hockey. He likes players with an edge. He drafted Tkachuk over Clayton Keller. He drafted Bennet over Nylander and Ehlers. (Read a Leafs article - ha) The Leafs do need an infusion, so his belief system fits what Shanahan is looking for.

BillP wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:00 am
Might not be as bad as you think. Apparently Treliving believes in heavy hockey. He likes players with an edge. He drafted Tkachuk over Clayton Keller. He drafted Bennet over Nylander and Ehlers. (Read a Leafs article - ha) The Leafs do need an infusion, so his belief system fits what Shanahan is looking for.
Tkachuk was expected to go 4th and slipped to Calgary at 6th, he doesn't get credit for that one. He also let Tkachuk and Gaudreau walk for nothing. You'd think avoiding losing stars without any return would be paramount for the Leafs.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:31 am Of course not. This was always a bs story.
I don't think they were ever going to ask permission unless they were dead set on hiring him. I'm sure there were still internal conversations but they seemed set on Trevliving from the beginning and if that's the case, why not make him look like THEIR guy. Instead of the guy they hired because Army/Blues said no.

Bennett over Nylander wasn't a smart decision though aside from the point that he's just a more physical player. He drafted him and then traded him for a 2nd round pick before he ever developed. Nylander has been a much better player as a pro than Bennett. He's having a strong playoff but his career high in points is 49. Nylander's is 87.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:30 am
Tkachuk was expected to go 4th and slipped to Calgary at 6th, he doesn't get credit for that one. He also let Tkachuk and Gaudreau walk for nothing. You'd think avoiding losing stars without any return would be paramount for the Leafs.
Whoops, obviously he didn't let Tkachuk walk for nothing, but year one of that trade looks very bad for Calgary. Looking at Treliving's trade history, he had to give Montreal a first round pick to take Sean Monahan's contract off his hands. On the plus side, he traded a first round pick for Tyler Toffoli late in the 21-22 season, which worked very well until the playoffs.

Draft wise, we've touched on the merits of Bennett/Tkachuk, but he hasn't gotten anything else of value out of the first round in picks ranging from 13-26. He drafted Adam Fox in the third, knowing it was unlikely he'd sign there, but at that point I'd say it's probably worth the risk. He got Rasmus Andersson, Dillon Dube and Oliver Kylington in the second round, and Andrew Mangiapane in the 6th. Pretty much no one else he's selected since 2014 has made the league. I'd give him a C for drafting I guess.

In terms of signings, I'm not doing a deep dive. 2 of his big misses ended up in St. Louis afterwards (Brouwer and Neal), but not until he bought them out. The Weegar and Huberdeau deals are yet to be determind. On the plus side the Elias Lindholm signing in 2018 was a home run.

In conclusion...we'll see.