Re: News and Games around the NHL

BluesSK wrote:Now everyone regrets letting him go? 😄
Yeah, I never liked it from the beginning. The guy never even got to stay in the lineup on a regular basis.
It's not like the Blues are loaded with young talent and can afford to ship off cheap labor let alone a former 1st rd pick.
Having a guy lay out 4 hits per game, willing to fight, has a great shot and the ability to score and has been noted in the past with leadership qualities, yeah, I never liked how the Blues kept him on the shelf. And I just noticed he scored 2 goals last night.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:49 am
BluesSK wrote:Now everyone regrets letting him go? 😄
Yeah, I never liked it from the beginning. The guy never even got to stay in the lineup on a regular basis.
It's not like the Blues are loaded with young talent and can afford to ship off cheap labor let alone a former 1st rd pick.
Having a guy lay out 4 hits per game, willing to fight, has a great shot and the ability to score and has been noted in the past with leadership qualities, yeah, I never liked how the Blues kept him on the shelf. And I just noticed he scored 2 goals last night.
Couldn't have said it better myself. He's doing exactly what the Blues need. Be a big body, high energy, bottom 6 guy.
Just a Russian propaganda account

This Kostin stuff is very revisionist. He had every opportunity to earn a permanent spot and never did. Which one of the 9 20 goal scorers last season was he supposed to take time away from? All 9 of them had a more complete game than Kostin. We've certainly seen 4th line players earn top 9 minutes when opportunities opened up, but Kostin spit the bit every time he got one of those opportunities. It's not as if he was dominant in the minors, his best season in the AHL he put up 30 points in 48 games. He's producing less than half a point a game and has not great underlying numbers in Edmonton despite occasionally playing with McDavid and everybody loses their mind.

They gave him opportunities, and he never earned more. Kostin is probably better than the guy they got in the trade, but this is a big time "meh" from me.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:42 am This Kostin stuff is very revisionist. He had every opportunity to earn a permanent spot and never did. Which one of the 9 20 goal scorers last season was he supposed to take time away from? All 9 of them had a more complete game than Kostin. We've certainly seen 4th line players earn top 9 minutes when opportunities opened up, but Kostin spit the bit every time he got one of those opportunities. It's not as if he was dominant in the minors, his best season in the AHL he put up 30 points in 48 games. He's producing less than half a point a game and has not great underlying numbers in Edmonton despite occasionally playing with McDavid and everybody loses their mind.

They gave him opportunities, and he never earned more. Kostin is probably better than the guy they got in the trade, but this is a big time "meh" from me.
Tyler Bozak for 1. It's crazy that Kostin only got 40 games and was still 3rd among forwards in hits last year.

Also, no one is making the point that he's a great NHL player. But he's very good at what he does and would bring a lot more to this currently team than scrubs like Tyler Pitlick. Honestly, I'm tired of guys named Tyler.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:46 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:42 am This Kostin stuff is very revisionist. He had every opportunity to earn a permanent spot and never did. Which one of the 9 20 goal scorers last season was he supposed to take time away from? All 9 of them had a more complete game than Kostin. We've certainly seen 4th line players earn top 9 minutes when opportunities opened up, but Kostin spit the bit every time he got one of those opportunities. It's not as if he was dominant in the minors, his best season in the AHL he put up 30 points in 48 games. He's producing less than half a point a game and has not great underlying numbers in Edmonton despite occasionally playing with McDavid and everybody loses their mind.

Tyler Bozak for 1. It's crazy that Kostin only got 40 games and was still 3rd among forwards in hits last year.

Also, no one is making the point that he's a great NHL player. But he's very good at what he does and would bring a lot more to this currently team than scrubs like Tyler Pitlick. Honestly, I'm tired of guys named Tyler.
Its easy to rack up hits when the other team has the puck the whole time you're on the ice.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:53 am

Its easy to rack up hits when the other team has the puck the whole time you're on the ice.
If that were the case Nick Leddy would lead the league in hits every year. But most hits by forwards come from forechecking

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:55 am

If that were the case Nick Leddy would lead the league in hits every year. But most hits by forwards come from forechecking
We can agree that Leddy sucks. I think there's a chance he dyes his beard too.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:10 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:55 am

We can agree that Leddy sucks. I think there's a chance he dyes his beard too.
Interesting! Will be looking into this

Dave's a mess wrote: This Kostin stuff is very revisionist. He had every opportunity to earn a permanent spot and never did. Which one of the 9 20 goal scorers last season was he supposed to take time away from? All 9 of them had a more complete game than Kostin. We've certainly seen 4th line players earn top 9 minutes when opportunities opened up, but Kostin spit the bit every time he got one of those opportunities. It's not as if he was dominant in the minors, his best season in the AHL he put up 30 points in 48 games. He's producing less than half a point a game and has not great underlying numbers in Edmonton despite occasionally playing with McDavid and everybody loses their mind.

46 games for a former 1st rd pick is not anywhere near enough time to make a fair assessment of a players skill level. And that's all he played as a Blue.
When John Davidson was here he said you really need to play 300 NHL Games before you get the full verdict in on a player. So if that's the case then 200 for sure if you want to get an idea on what this guy has. As mentioned, it's not like this Blues team is loaded with young talent at forward. To rush someone off at 46 games is too premature. Ty Rattie? That guy sucked. It was apparent. Get his ass out of here. He only played 30 games here. But Kostin was a big boy with potential and that is undeniable. His stats in Edmonton are pretty good right now, 7 goals, 11 points in 27 games averaging 10 minutes of ice with 81 hits and a shooting pct of 19.4. If Kostin was traded for value, different story, but he was just given away and that's a red flag in my book.

BillP. wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: This Kostin stuff is very revisionist. He had every opportunity to earn a permanent spot and never did. Which one of the 9 20 goal scorers last season was he supposed to take time away from? All 9 of them had a more complete game than Kostin. We've certainly seen 4th line players earn top 9 minutes when opportunities opened up, but Kostin spit the bit every time he got one of those opportunities. It's not as if he was dominant in the minors, his best season in the AHL he put up 30 points in 48 games. He's producing less than half a point a game and has not great underlying numbers in Edmonton despite occasionally playing with McDavid and everybody loses their mind.

46 games for a former 1st rd pick is not anywhere near enough time to make a fair assessment of a players skill level. And that's all he played as a Blue.
When John Davidson was here he said you really need to play 300 NHL Games before you get the full verdict in on a player. So if that's the case then 200 for sure if you want to get an idea on what this guy has. As mentioned, it's not like this Blues team is loaded with young talent at forward. To rush someone off at 46 games is too premature. Ty Rattie? That guy sucked. It was apparent. Get his ass out of here. He only played 30 games here. But Kostin was a big boy with potential and that is undeniable. His stats in Edmonton are pretty good right now, 7 goals, 11 points in 27 games averaging 10 minutes of ice with 81 hits and a shooting pct of 19.4. If Kostin was traded for value, different story, but he was just given away and that's a red flag in my book.
That's 300 pro games, not NHL. 300 pro games is less than 4 seasons if you're healthy. The Blues gave him 5 pro seasons. He never produced much at any level (and he's still not). He would've played more if he deserved to, but they were trying to win games. It's not as if Berube is afraid to put young guys in big spots, he started Sammy Blais on ROR's line in literally the biggest game possible. Good luck to Klim. May his career be long enough that he can look back and be considered a mediocre NHL player. He's well on his way.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:20 pm
BillP. wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm

That's 300 pro games, not NHL. 300 pro games is less than 4 seasons if you're healthy. The Blues gave him 5 pro seasons. He never produced much at any level (and he's still not). He would've played more if he deserved to, but they were trying to win games. It's not as if Berube is afraid to put young guys in big spots, he started Sammy Blais on ROR's line in literally the biggest game possible. Good luck to Klim. May his career be long enough that he can look back and be considered a mediocre NHL player. He's well on his way.
motion to get dave’s account banned

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
BillP. wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:50 pm 46 games for a former 1st rd pick is not anywhere near enough time to make a fair assessment of a players skill level. And that's all he played as a Blue.
Yeah, I don't get it. He just don't like Klim. Okay, Dave, we get it. You don't like him. But me and Igor's boys do 8-)

BillP. wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:53 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:

Yeah, I don't get it. He just don't like Klim. Okay, Dave, we get it. You don't like him. But me and Igor's boys do 8-)
And unless he’s a tyrant, he’ll understand democracy rules and 2 is higher than 1

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:53 pm Well, I wanted to see Klim succeed here but he really never took the bit and earned it at the pro or minor pro level.

Berube loves Toropchenko who really doesn't have the skillset but never warmed up to Klim. So why is that? There are obvious reasons to the Blues.
How indicative is the AHL? Tage scored 21 goals in 70 AHL games but today he’s scoring at a Brett Hull pace.

BillP wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:42 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:53 pm Well, I wanted to see Klim succeed here but he really never took the bit and earned it at the pro or minor pro level.

Berube loves Toropchenko who really doesn't have the skillset but never warmed up to Klim. So why is that? There are obvious reasons to the Blues.
How indicative is the AHL? Tage scored 21 goals in 70 AHL games but today he’s scoring at a Brett Hull pace against the big boys.

How indicative is the AHL? Tage scored 21 goals in 70 AHL games but today he’s scoring at a Brett Hull pace.
For scoring? Maybe not very good. For being an all around pro hockey player and having the desire to get there? Probably pretty good.

Maybe the Blues need to look at the merits of their minor league system if we are giving away assets who thrive elsewhere. But that hasn't happened a lot in the past.

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:22 pm

For scoring? Maybe not very good. For being an all around pro hockey player and having the desire to get there? Probably pretty good.

Maybe the Blues need to look at the merits of their minor league system if we are giving away assets who thrive elsewhere. But that hasn't happened a lot in the past.

The Blues have been on both sides of it. The Pens basically threw Sunny D in as a trade piece and the Blues developed him into a player. I had hoped the same for Logan Brown but no such luck.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 pm
BluesSK wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:22 pm

The Blues have been on both sides of it. The Pens basically threw Sunny D in as a trade piece and the Blues developed him into a player. I had hoped the same for Logan Brown but no such luck.
I think our track record has been pretty good.

I do think the next few years might be challenging though. We need to amass assets.