Re: News and Games around the NHL

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:08 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:25 pm Toews apparently got interviewed after the game tonight and is defending Bowman and others, saying they aren't "complicit" in what happened and that they're "good people". My god
Heaping praise on people who covered up sexual assault

To be fair....he doesn't really know what he is talking about, in his head he is sticking up for mentor/friends, and doesn't fully grasp what the complicity of a cover up is.
Ignorance is not an excuse in Dread’s court of law. Guilty!

Off to the gulag
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am Big giant oof. The NHL has no interest in accountability, protecting players, growing the game. A true national embarrassment of a sport. I wish I didn't love it so much and enjoy the banter I get on here with you guys because it'd be so easy to give this sport up.

I waited to reply to this. When the news first broke on Cheveldayoff, my initial reaction was hmm...I guess that makes sense. Certainly I understand the idea of not wanting to make waves when you're told your bosses are taking care of something. But then you think about the timing and things kind of fall apart. Cheveldayoff knew what happened, and knew who did it. Then he watched as that guy continued to work without consequence. He watched him raise the Cup on the ice and ride in a parade around the city. I work in downtown Chicago. The parade went right by my office. That day we closed early and drank on the streets as the Cup went by. Sure I despised the Blackhawks, but I wasn't about to pass up a chance to take off work on a beautiful day in June. Anyway, every double-decker bus that went by was cheered wildly. Not just the busses with the stars, every single one of them. Brad Aldrich was on one of those busses. He was cheered by hundreds of thousands of adoring strangers.

I bet those fans wish they knew then what they knew now. I'm quite certain they would've acted differently. Cheveldayoff was burdened by the knowledge he gained in that meeting. I'm sure it was a hard decision for him, or at least I hope it was. It's really hard doing the right thing sometimes. However the difficulty of the choice doesn't absolve you when you make the wrong decision. They can all go to hell.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am I wish I didn't love it so much and enjoy the banter I get on here with you guys because it'd be so easy to give this sport up.
thanks to things not entirely in my control, i've seen only parts (highlights) of games for two years. i think i've seen maybe two games in their entirety during that span. this is the only hockey talk i get, and the only clips i watch generally are posted on here. it still makes me very fucking angry that the choice to watch was effectively taken from me, but i'm not taking steps to get around that on principle. and my life isn't worse off for it. it sucks, but is what it is. maybe one day i'll be deemed worthy enough to be granted the privilege of watching millionaires skate around again and will rejoice at what i've been missing. now, meh. and it's their own fault. if not for this site, i wouldn't even think about hockey. i mean, if i'm not watching the games, i'd just be pretending. so, here we are.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:32 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:52 am Big giant oof. The NHL has no interest in accountability, protecting players, growing the game. A true national embarrassment of a sport. I wish I didn't love it so much and enjoy the banter I get on here with you guys because it'd be so easy to give this sport up.

I waited to reply to this. When the news first broke on Cheveldayoff, my initial reaction was hmm...I guess that makes sense. Certainly I understand the idea of not wanting to make waves when you're told your bosses are taking care of something. But then you think about the timing and things kind of fall apart. Cheveldayoff knew what happened, and knew who did it. Then he watched as that guy continued to work without consequence. He watched him raise the Cup on the ice and ride in a parade around the city. I work in downtown Chicago. The parade went right by my office. That day we closed early and drank on the streets as the Cup went by. Sure I despised the Blackhawks, but I wasn't about to pass up a chance to take off work on a beautiful day in June. Anyway, every double-decker bus that went by was cheered wildly. Not just the busses with the stars, every single one of them. Brad Aldrich was on one of those busses. He was cheered by hundreds of thousands of adoring strangers.

I bet those fans wish they knew then what they knew now. I'm quite certain they would've acted differently. Cheveldayoff was burdened by the knowledge he gained in that meeting. I'm sure it was a hard decision for him, or at least I hope it was. It's really hard doing the right thing sometimes. However the difficulty of the choice doesn't absolve you when you make the wrong decision. They can all go to hell.
At some point, a real man says to himself... "I'm not gonna be any part of this shit"... and he walks away. ... he didn't.

ratonmono wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:42 pm Red Wings are looking halfway decent this year. Sabres too.

IMO the Pacific is going to be the battle of Alberta. Vegas is just not the feisty speedy underdog anymore. Bunch of mercenary independent contractors.
Vegas is going to look a lot better when they get 2/3 of their top line back in Stone and Pacioretty.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:18 pm
ratonmono wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:42 pm Red Wings are looking halfway decent this year. Sabres too.

IMO the Pacific is going to be the battle of Alberta. Vegas is just not the feisty speedy underdog anymore. Bunch of mercenary independent contractors.
Vegas is going to look a lot better when they get 2/3 of their top line back in Stone and Pacioretty.
And possibly when they trade for Eichel (once he returns from surgery).

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:51 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:18 pm

And possibly when they trade for Eichel (once he returns from surgery).
Yeah lots of smoke there apparently. I'll be fascinated to see what that return is. They have kind of mined out their prospect pools in some of their big trades already, but still have most of their draft picks. They'll also have to move out some salary to make room.

P.S. Since they desperately have needed a first line center since they came into the league, I wonder if they regret that Suzuki+ for Pacioretty deal.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:38 pm LOL so much bullshit.

So I've loved Calgary's start to the season. Markstrom looks fantastic. The big guns (besides Monahan) are producing on a nightly basis. Any fears some critics may have had about the game passing Daryl Sutter by seem to have been put to rest. However...couldn't you see this end up blowing up in their faces? Suppose they make the deal tonight, and Eichel finally gets his surgery in the next few days or so. That's still probably at least 2 months or so without Tkachuk, Eichel, and whatever else they send out. Suppose in that time Markstrom slips back to his form from last year, and Gaudreau gets hurt. Suddenly this kind of looks like the Kessel to Toronto trade that netted the Bruins the second overall pick. That is of course a doomsday scenario. While things are going well in Calgary now, even if this is a good but non Cup winning year, it makes sense to acquire a franchise cornerstone guy like Eichel. Gaudreau is UFA after this year and Tkachuk is an RFA with a sky-high qualifying offer. If this trade were to happen, I'd love it for both sides, and for us neutral hockey fans. Big trades are fun as hell.