Kostin

Of all the moves this past weekend, Klim Kostin is the one that gives me a woody. Ranked Europe's #1 skater, mentioned in the same breath as Tarasenko, can't wait to see this kid play. Just disappointed he won't be in the capable hands of Berube when he kisses the sweet earth of America.

Re: Kostin

Oates2Hullie450 wrote:Definitely hurts to not control an AHL affiliate the year that the highest potential prospect we've had in years is going to play there.
That deal is likely to impact on medium level prospects. For high end prospects, like Kostin, he should be good enough to earn plenty of playing time in the AHL. If he can't, then he's likely not the high end prospect we think.

Players like Blais, or even Barbashev, would be the ones that may be impacted by this years setup. (albeit, I still believe if they're good enough, they'll earn the ice time. )

Beatoni12 wrote:
Oates2Hullie450 wrote:Definitely hurts to not control an AHL affiliate the year that the highest potential prospect we've had in years is going to play there.
That deal is likely to impact on medium level prospects. For high end prospects, like Kostin, he should be good enough to earn plenty of playing time in the AHL. If he can't, then he's likely not the high end prospect we think.

Players like Blais, or even Barbashev, would be the ones that may be impacted by this years setup. (albeit, I still believe if they're good enough, they'll earn the ice time. )
I expect Barbashev to make The Blues' roster out of Camp. So, he shouldn't be impacted by The Wolves' deal with The Knights.

Robb_K wrote:
Beatoni12 wrote:

I expect Barbashev to make The Blues' roster out of Camp. So, he shouldn't be impacted by The Wolves' deal with The Knights.
Oh, I agree. My statement is worded poorly, but was meant to infer that a prospect similar to Barbashev would be more affected. I don't think this will hinder Barbashev at all. He's NHL ready, in my opinion.

I'm definitely intrigued by Kostin with his size, skating ability, grit/fighting, and skill level. Regardless if he ends up being a 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line, or even 4th line type forward he could be a valuable player to have on the roster. Super pumped to see how he develops.

A lot of scouts see top 6 potential in him, If he ends up being a consistent 20ish to 30ish goal a year forward holy shit that would be an amazing draft pick.

Blues just inked Kostin to an entry level deal.

Sounds like Dynamo (the KHL team he was under contract with) is having financial issues and might fold. They released all of their players. That would be crazy, they're one of the oldest teams in Russia. It would be like The Canadiens having to fold.

BUT THE RUSSIAN FACTOR!!! HE'LL NEVER COME OVER!!!!!!!

My hope is that the shoulder heals well over the summer and he is able to partake in the Traverse City tournament without any issues. This year seems like the Blues will be sending over one of their more interesting groups of prospects in recent memory.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Jeff Gordon on the Post continues to write that Kostin is compared to Patrik Laine.

Has anyone really seen this kid play? I don't read anywhere about this guy having an all-world shot. And Bill Armstrong said he was comparable to David Backes.

I highly doubt this kid is anywhere near the talent level of Laine but if someone has seen the kid play and thinks he is, please advise.

There's a big difference between 'style' of play and, for lack of a better word, 'level' of play. There are a lot of players who play a 'power forward' type of style, for example, but some may score 15 goals, some may score 30.

BillP wrote:Jeff Gordon on the Post continues to write that Kostin is compared to Patrik Laine.

Has anyone really seen this kid play? I don't read anywhere about this guy having an all-world shot. And Bill Armstrong said he was comparable to David Backes.

I highly doubt this kid is anywhere near the talent level of Laine but if someone has seen the kid play and thinks he is, please advise.
Apparently he was dropping jaws with his shot at the development camp.