"A Bittersweet Day" ... Daniel Carcillo Retires

This first-person story - and the background video piece linked within it - present a very personal & a very poignant message. Recommended reading/viewing for hockey fans and for anyone else with a heart ...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Bittersweet Day
Daniel Carcillo
Contributor
Posted September 17, 2015

My friend Steve Montador and I had a routine. We used to go out to the same golf course in Chicago after practice and play nine holes. We weren’t amazing golfers, but it was just a place for us to get away from hockey and stress for a little bit. For all the holes we played over the years, the thing I remember most is Monty’s laugh echoing out over that quiet course.

We used to laugh our asses off out there. We didn’t talk about hockey. We talked about all the things we wanted to do when we were done with the game, or when the game was done with us. When Monty passed away in February, one of the memories I kept coming back to was how much fun we had out there on the golf course. The future seemed to be right in front of us. We just weren’t quite sure what to do with it.

In April, when I decided to sit down and talk about how Monty and many other players have struggled to transition to life outside of hockey, I was nervous about how it would be received. The unspoken sentiment is that you don’t talk about this kind of stuff in the hockey world. It can be seen as a “distraction.” When I reached out to my teammates on the Blackhawks to tell them what I was doing, I was really surprised by the reaction. They couldn’t have been more supportive. After the video came out, I had a number of current and former NHL players reach out to me to say that they’re struggling with the same issues. ...

Read more at: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/daniel ... etirement/

Re: "A Bittersweet Day" ... Daniel Carcillo Retires

T.C. wrote:roll your eyes all you want, you can't go from years and years of pure, deep-seated hatred for a guy to "gee, what a swell man" with six brief paragraphs. i appreciate his ilk and all, but him specifically - fuck that guy.
Well, the Players' Tribune piece is actually longer than six paragraphs, for anyone who cares to follow the link at the bottom of my original post. But I now see where you're coming from. Guess we need another emoticon for that.
Last edited by JMC-STL on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.